Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 09-16-2015, 07:56 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Life in / around Seattle

Hey all,

I have been offered a position with a tech company near Seattle.

Having never lived there (I have visited several times), I wanted to see if anyone had any pearls of wisdom for a car guy that may have an opportunity to live there.

I have lived in Alaska, Belgium, UK, Virginia, Maryland, Colorado and grew up in Michigan.

If I move there, I was thinking about getting a little bit of land (~10 acres). As well, I have a daughter in the second grade.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-20-2015, 09:38 AM

Grew up about an hour south of Seattle but have lived in the city and lived in Maryland/DC Metro area for a number of years as well. Overall, Seattle is a really nice city but the traffic is terrible. The infrastucture is not there to support the influx of new people coming in. Nothing like the Metro in D.C. for sure. People drive everywhere around here. If you're looking for 10+ acres you're going to need to be outside the city a little ways for sure and housing is expensive in Seattle. That said, if you're job takes you to the Eastside closer to Bellevue/Redmond area there are more options for land within 30 minute commute. Traffic still sucks but more options on the Eastside.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:31 PM

It's a beautiful area with a great car culture. When the weather is nice you can find something auto related every weekend. If you love the outdoors, I'm guessing you do, you couldn't ask for a better place to live. I'm at the base of the Cascades and can disappear into the woods with a 20 minute drive.

City of Seattle.....it's absolutely horrible. The MoRons running the city are clueless, Seattle PD is a joke, crowded, construction (long term) Amazombies, the bus and bike lanes....I'd stay away, I actually don't go downtown unless I'm being paid....which happens to be every week day.

Find 10 acres an hour out of town and I'm sure you'll love it. Depending on where the office is and how often you'd actually need to be there would determine the area to recommend.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:54 AM

It's beautiful here. Not much of the four seasons... Well until this last summer that is. We have had our nicest warmest summer ever. Typically our four seasons are Rain, Drizzle, Cloudy, Wet.

Congestion and traffic are an issue. Land is available east or north of the city. Cost of living is higher than most places. I've lived here for 40 years and it is home.

http://chrisholstromconcepts.com/
Old 09-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
It's a beautiful area with a great car culture. When the weather is nice you can find something auto related every weekend. If you love the outdoors, I'm guessing you do, you couldn't ask for a better place to live. I'm at the base of the Cascades and can disappear into the woods with a 20 minute drive.

City of Seattle.....it's absolutely horrible. The MoRons running the city are clueless, Seattle PD is a joke, crowded, construction (long term) Amazombies, the bus and bike lanes....I'd stay away, I actually don't go downtown unless I'm being paid....which happens to be every week day.

Find 10 acres an hour out of town and I'm sure you'll love it. Depending on where the office is and how often you'd actually need to be there would determine the area to recommend.
That sums it up honestly.

http://chrisholstromconcepts.com/
Old 09-22-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthpastor View Post
It's beautiful here. I've lived here for 40 years and it is home.
Yep, 39 for me and I don't see any reason to move out of state. Plenty of activities for kids also....
Attached Images