Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2021, 06:09 PM

Very cool father / son(s) build!
The Following User Says Thank You to TT302Z28 For This Useful Post:
Ricochet (03-05-2021)
Old 12-08-2022, 12:24 PM

Well, James is a Senior now and has had to write multiple essays on various things as he is applying to many Colleges ....

This was the ask...

Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.

James' essay

In 1968, Chevrolet produced 40,977 RS Camaros, and one of those ended up in my possession. Growing up, the Camaro was ever present, but I never thought much of it until my dad asked me if I wanted to help him restore it. At 14 years old, I had no mechanical experience; I had never even held a wrench before. However, I had seen my dad restoring cars throughout my life, and I knew he would be there to help me when I needed it. I had no idea where to start, but my dad took the lead. Within hours we had the entire front end of the car apart. After about a month, we had most of the car disassembled, and it was time to repair and refinish everything. I was constantly sanding, cleaning, and repainting parts throughout this process. The first time I painted, I didn’t clean it properly, resulting in the paint starting to flake. The second time I painted it, I used too much paint, causing it to drip. After much trial and error, I became fluent in cleaning and repainting any part that needed it. This process of trial and error continued for years, but it was the end goal that kept me going.

Finally, the day came when we were going to start the car for the first time in 37 years. Now 16, I was beyond excited to start up the engine. When the time came, I cranked the motor, and all I heard was the whine of the starter. The engine would turn over, but after multiple attempts, it still wouldn’t start. Feeling demoralized, we rolled it back into the garage and tried to figure out what was wrong. After troubleshooting, we discovered that the fuel lines were flipped, and no fuel was getting into the engine. With the problem fixed, we rolled it out of the garage to start it up again. “3, 2, 1,” but this time, the whine of the starter was not there. The starter was broken; the car wouldn’t start. Back to the drawing board, we rolled the car back into the garage and had to start over. This time we discovered that the starter had gone out, and we had to replace it. With all these repairs done, we finally got the engine started. When the engine fired up, my pride, happiness, and gratitude were overwhelming because we had finally accomplished what we had set out to achieve.

Despite the setbacks, I learned to enjoy the process and never give up. I can persist in facing challenges and achieve anything I want. Seeing the improvements on a day-to-day basis kept me motivated when I started to feel overwhelmed. One of my favorite parts is taking it to car shows with my dad and talking to other car enthusiasts about our project. This two-year project with my dad is a significant milestone in my life. Reflecting on late nights with my dad was when I truly got to know the man he is, and I understood that he was a model for me for the kind of person I want to be. I realized I wanted to foster the same type of relationships with other people in my life that I love and care about. This process taught me that the journey is truly just as important as the destination.

Serious proud Dad moment here. I'm going to reflect back on this one until the day I'm gone..... We try so hard as parents to raise our kids and hope they get it... This kid gets it 100%, and truth be told.. He has made it easy for us. So blessed and proud. ( And yes.. I was cutting onions when I read this...)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ricochet; 12-08-2022 at 09:28 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ricochet For This Useful Post:
camcojb (12-09-2022), DBasher (12-12-2022), dhutton (12-15-2022), F'in mine (12-08-2022), fleetus macmullitz (12-14-2022), Roscoe03 (12-08-2022), syborg tt (12-14-2022), Vegas69 (12-09-2022), waynieZ (12-20-2022), WSSix (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 02:32 PM

Great story Brent. Thanks for sharing. I too have memorable moments like this with my daughter. We’re moving to Nashville, TN next year so she can pursue her dream of being a Christian singer/songwriter.
The Following User Says Thank You to bulldog19 For This Useful Post:
Ricochet (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 08:35 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I can't think of a much prouder father moment than a story like that! The car looks awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to Roscoe03 For This Useful Post:
Ricochet (12-08-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 09:57 AM

It doesn't get any better than that!
Ricochet (12-09-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 08:56 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,542 Times in 850 Posts

Holy crap this brought tears to my eye's.

I always say at the end of the night when something you see or you read touches your heart you need to call it an night and go to bed. Well this will be the last thing I do tonight as I am not sure I will find something more special then this post.

Great Job Dad and kudo's to both you and your wife for raising such a fine young man.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to syborg tt For This Useful Post:
fleetus macmullitz (12-14-2022), Ricochet (12-14-2022), Roscoe03 (07-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog19 View Post
Great story Brent. Thanks for sharing. I too have memorable moments like this with my daughter. We’re moving to Nashville, TN next year so she can pursue her dream of being a Christian singer/songwriter.
Thanks!! Very much appreciated. Wish your daughter and your family all the luck in the world pursuing her dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe03 View Post
I can't think of a much prouder father moment than a story like that! The car looks awesome!
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
It doesn't get any better than that!
Thanks Todd!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Holy crap this brought tears to my eye's.

I always say at the end of the night when something you see or you read touches your heart you need to call it an night and go to bed. Well this will be the last thing I do tonight as I am not sure I will find something more special then this post.

Great Job Dad and kudo's to both you and your wife for raising such a fine young man.
Thanks for the kind words Marty!! We are truly blessed. Still can't believe we weren't able to hook up at SEMA. Was looking forward to seeing you and meeting him. I told him about your Porsche and he was like.... 😳🤣
syborg tt (12-26-2022)