Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-01-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Talking with real world experience here...someone that has raced with and street driven a CCC carb setup, then a manual carb setup, and finally a Holley EFI setup all on a similar SBC setup in a similar vehicle as yours...

Once someone with your ability does the install correctly and begins to learn the Holley EFI software, you'll wonder why you didn't make the change years ago. The amount of real time data you can collect and use to fine tune the software is mind blowing and the results from collecting and using said data to make the engine run better are worth the pain of install.

The main question I would be working on is how best to design the fuel delivery system...retro fitting a fuel module to not only feed the beast but to do it without regular pump failures or fuel starvation issues means going a step above most regular installs.

Being able to salvage your old intake to finance the new parts makes it an even easier question to answer at least in my humble opinion. Good luck with your call.
My car is already set up for fuel injection with the stock TPI setup, so I wasn't planning on doing too many fuel system upgrades. There are certainly some upgrades I can do with tank baffling and stuff but I think the stock pump and fuel lines should be plenty for my power levels. Sounds like your vote is to keep moving forward though!
The Following User Says Thank You to garage_engineer For This Useful Post:
proper (03-13-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:33 AM

OK I'm getting into a pretty bad habit of going several months in between updates! That doesn't mean work isn't getting done though!

I pulled the trigger on a Holley Terminator X ECU to replace the stock computer. It's a pricey and involved upgrade, but to me the upgrade in reliability, driveability and tuneability makes its all worth it.

Along with the ECU, I am also going to be upgrading my distributor to their Dual Sync distributor which will be controlled with one of the MSD boxes made specifically for the Holley EFI system. This ignition setup is a bit overkill for my engine, but I am a big advocate for keeping everything together from the same manufacturer. It may cost a bit more at the beginning, but having everything work together and only have one company to call when there is an issue is worth it to me! I also grabbed a set of the analog gauges to replace the stock ones.

I currently have my stock (well, slightly modified) TPI harness out of the car and the intake off. I had spent so much time last winter tucking and trimming my harness to hide it... it sure made it hard to get out!

I also was able to find a used Holley Stealth Ram intake on Ebay and picked it up along with the fuel rails and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I'll get into a bit more detail in the future as to why I'm replacing my Super Ram with this, but it basically came down to price and ease of installation. The intake is currently off being powder coated black to match the theme under the hood.

My current project is getting my gauges installed. The Holley gauges are super easy to install, with just one wire that daisy chains the gauges together. They run of a CAN signal from the ECU, which is a digital signal and allows them all to run off of the one wire. Each gauge looks for it's unique "code" in the digital signal pulls the data it needs. Pretty cool. I ordered a sheet of ABS plastic off of Amazon that matches the factory grain pretty well. Love the look of these things and can't wait to see them lit up!

I'll be better at posting some more regular updates! Spring is coming so gotta get going on this thing!
Goosesdad (03-03-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 10:02 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

That turned out great!

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 03-02-2021, 08:40 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

x2. That's a good looking layout.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 03-03-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffav8 View Post
That turned out great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
x2. That's a good looking layout.
Thanks for the compliments!

The lower gauges are pretty low and tough to see now that I've test fit them and took a look from the driver's seat. I moved the important ones (oil pressure and coolant temp) to the outside so they are a bit easier to see. The warning lights will help as well. I'm going to try this out for a summer... it's easy enough to cut out a different layout if I need to.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:08 PM

OK starting to make some steady progress now...

While I was under the dash installing my new gauges and had my interior half apart, I decided to change out my stereo headunit as well. The previous owner had installed a big touch screen but it was showing its age... it had an early navigation system in it that didn't work and no Bluetooth. The plastic trim was also cut up around the screen to make it all fit. I just bought a really simple new headunit that has all the modern Bluetooth features while not being too flashy in the looks department. A quick re-wire and it's ready to go:

To mount my new ECU in the interior, I was able to make it fit in the stock location up under the dash on the passenger side. I took the beige plastic mounting bracket and removed the stock ECU, then drilled out 4 mounting holes to attach the Holley ECU using some short button head screws with some rubber washers for isolation from vibration. When I permanently install it in the car, I will also use some velcro on the back side to give it some further isolation from vibrations and bumps:

With all that wrapped up, my interior is pretty much buttoned up for now. I just have a few trim pieces to put back but I want to get everything up and running first just in case I need to re-check a few wires.

Next focus is on getting my new intake manifold installed. I've mentioned it before, but I am moving from my current Super Ram setup to a Holley Stealth Ram. With the Stealth Ram, I am focusing on figuring out all the plugs, adapters, fuel lines and sensors I need to install to make it all work together.

The first step was getting the intake powdercoated. With my Super Ram, I had painted it black using Duplicolor engine paint and it turned out great but kept getting chipped every time I whacked it with a wrench by accident. So, I bit the bullet on the extra expense and am trying out powdercoating this time. I think it turned out awesome! This is matte black with a satin clear coat on top:

The trickiest part I am working through now is the driver's side rear corner. This is where all the vacuum ports will be on the intake, plus the big adjustable fuel pressure regulator I want to run, the oil pressure sensor, spark plug wires and the fuel line coming off of the regulator. I think I have a layout that's going to work but I need to order a few more little adapters for it all to fit. I may also move the oil pressure sender to the port right above the oil filter. This takes a bit of time but it's much easier working through this stuff on the bench rather than up against the firewall.

Set the intake on the engine just to get a sneak peak of what it's going to look like:
camcojb (03-13-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 11:59 PM

Nice!
Old 03-13-2021, 12:23 PM

Looks awesome man!
Old 03-14-2021, 09:10 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Good choice on the powder coat. I think it looks great. You'll enjoy dealing with this intake more than the Super Ram.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 03-15-2021, 11:14 AM
Supporting Member

I love it!

Here is something cool (maybe) - My Dad was a GM brass hat back in the day. He also handled press cars for the media (1984-1986) in the N.E. Florida area.

He also got a new car every 5,000 miles or so from GM AND he bought one once a year on a special program.

In 1985...we had the very first IROC-Z off the trailer in Florida (production model). It was special order and purchase through his program for my Mom...AND, he also got a bright yellow one for his company car. We had a pair of IROC-Zs in the driveway for a few months in 1985. Hers was black with red interior.

One day while I was riding in the back, my dad thumped the throttle in traffic and ripped the tires...and leaned over and said...

"the muscle car is back...."

That made my day!

I got my driver permit and drove home at 15 years old...in that black Iroc-Z. I drove it a million miles in the garage listening to the radio and dreaming of being on the open road...when I was 15.

LOVE these cars....wish I had room and time for another. As much as I love the LS for many reasons...so glad to see the basic TPI (even with the ram you are installing) and L98 type V8 rocking between the strut towers.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 69MyWay For This Useful Post:
Che70velle (03-17-2021), Vegas69 (03-15-2021)