Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 06-06-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
You say above you have TQ shocks but mention rebound valving only later. Do you have remote reservoirs on the shocks and if so, the 2 knobs on them adjust compression valving which can really affect ride quality.
Their HQ not TQ - Thanks
Old 06-07-2021, 12:01 PM

I'm assuming you have coilovers front and rear because you talk about pushing on the rear bumper. Can you tell if the harshness is coming from the front or the rear?

I would suggest the following to see if it helps before start to change out any parts. Soften rebound up fully, knob all the way counter clockwise on all 4 shocks and lower the air pressure in the tires some. If at 32 psi, lower down to 28.

Then test drive over a road you are familiar with and see if it makes a difference. If it's still harsh, to you...try to determine if it's coming from the front or the rear. Do you feel it in the seat or the steering wheel?

I've found everyone's ride expectations and sensations are different as are different cars as well, the nice thing is this setup is very tunable to your taste and preferences...you just have to decide which way you want to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
redfire69 (06-10-2021)
Old 04-24-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
You could go lighter springs but then you have to run higher preload to maintain your ride height. I find that a lot of preload can lead to poor ride quality.

The reason shock adjustment doesn’t do a whole lot is because it’s rebound only. According to Ridetech the spring rate is so high that adjusting the compression damping has very little affect because the spring rate dominates. So they don’t offer compression damping adjustment which is difficult with a monotube shock anyway….

I put the whole Ridetech level 2 package with Truturn on my wife’s 69 Camaro. Hated the ride, it was harsh. Sold the car because of it.

Don
I could be wrong, but did you go with Art Morrison front clip and IRS rear suspension? How does it compare to the ridetech ride? I've got the coilover system and 4 link, but it is the older style from back around 2008. Not really pleased with the ride quality of it.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratebaseball View Post
I could be wrong, but did you go with Art Morrison front clip and IRS rear suspension? How does it compare to the ridetech ride? I've got the coilover system and 4 link, but it is the older style from back around 2008. Not really pleased with the ride quality of it.
I built two Camaros. A 69 vert for my wife with full Ridetech and a 69 coupe with Art Morrison IRS and front subframe. Difference was night and day. The AME car is the nicest riding first gen Camaro I have been in by a wide margin. The Ridetech ride was harsh and we sold the car because of it after trying several spring rates. Even had Brett drive the car after doing all the things he recommended. Biggest issue was any discontinuity in the pavement.

It’s a shame the Art Morrison IRS is so expensive because it could be a real game changer imho.

Don

Last edited by dhutton; 04-25-2022 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I built two Camaros. A 69 vert for my wife with full Ridetech and a 69 coupe with Art Morrison IRS and front subframe. Difference was night and day. The AME car is the nicest riding first gen Camaro I have been in by a wide margin. The Ridetech ride was harsh and we sold the car because of it after trying several spring rates. Even had Brett drive the car after doing all the things he recommended. Biggest issue was any discontinuity in the pavement.

It’s a shame the Art Morrison IRS is so expensive because it could be a real game changer imho.

Don
Thank you for the reply. How do you feel the Art Morrison compares to the Detroit Speed subframe and quadralink set up as for ride quality?
Old 04-26-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratebaseball View Post
Thank you for the reply. How do you feel the Art Morrison compares to the Detroit Speed subframe and quadralink set up as for ride quality?
I prefer the Art Morrison. You just can’t beat a quality IRS for ride quality imho. The C6 front control arms with stock rubber bushings also give a great ride.

I think Mary Pozzi proved the AME IRS can be a serious autocross setup also.

Take a look at the frame Roadster shop released for trifives etc that is focused on ride quality to see what they have. No Camaro version though afaik.

Don
Old 05-08-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I built two Camaros. A 69 vert for my wife with full Ridetech, The Ridetech ride was harsh Biggest issue was any discontinuity in the pavement.
Don
I seen this post had come up to the top, and pretty much Don summed it up again....I have tried different things and I just do not see it getting a whole lot smoother, my bad for not riding in more similar cars with my set up and other suspension set ups before going this route.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
I seen this post had come up to the top, and pretty much Don summed it up again....I have tried different things and I just do not see it getting a whole lot smoother, my bad for not riding in more similar cars with my set up and other suspension set ups before going this route.
Only thing I can suggest is to significantly increase the rebound damping and see if it makes a difference.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
NOVA (05-08-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 04:48 PM

IMHO too much rebound damping is sure to make the ride harsh.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannetron View Post
IMHO too much rebound damping is sure to make the ride harsh.
My thinking was that stored energy due to high spring preload was causing the harsh bang when traveling over drops in pavement. The spring fires off when unloaded over the drop. That’s why I suggested trying increased rebound damping. It’s just a theory and just something to try. Not a guarantee but I did find an improvement when I tried it on my wife’s car. Of course there is a sweet spot that may or not be easy to find. Ultimately I gave up and we sold the car.

Mandatory backyard hack disclaimer inserted here…

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
camcojb (05-14-2022)