Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 08-25-2005, 02:54 PM

Smile Yet another new guy from MN

Hello All-

I stumbled across this site about three weeks ago while searching the net for "1968 Camaro 5-speed". To be honest I had no idea there were so many people already doing what I had in mind!! I have a 68 Camaro with a 454BBC, TH 400, 12 bolt 4:11, looks pretty much stock. I purchased it about 12 years ago, just after the previous owner finished a pretty nice frame off resto. All stock suspension, all drum (!) brakes, etc. The engine threw a rod this spring, good excuse to freshen up the whole car, right? Needless to say an engine rebuild has potentially turned into revised front suspension, coil overs, T-56 conversion, big discs at each corner, wheels/tires, mini-tub (maybe the new DSE 4-link?) etc.

My question is this- is there any type of comparison testing being done to compare one setup to another? For example: who is to say what company offers the best upper/lower a-arms for 67-69 Camaros? Has there ever been any documented skid pad or slalom course testing to compare different setups? Everybody likes their own car & says it works great, but it would be nice to see some type of hard data to show what each mod offers. That's not asking too much, right???
Old 08-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Welcome, John. The g-machine movement is taking off in Minnesota.

You know, your question of heads up testing on what's better is one that is asked a lot. It's hard to say what works best, there are a lot of variables involved. IMO, it would be easier to lay out a budget then research who can provide the best performance at that price point.

Your project sounds great. Glad you found us.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 08-25-2005, 09:35 PM

Welcome, As far as advise, I have no first hand knowledge on the suspension parts. Thier are a lot of guys on this site that do! Cant really go wrong with DSE stuff from what I have seen, those guys produce top notch stuff. Great to see another MN car.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:09 AM

Welcome, John. I agree with Scott; research, research, and more research.

All of the aftermarket suspension parts on my car will be of DSE origin sourced through Marquez Design and Fabrication, if it helps.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:40 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Welcome John!Im filing for chapter 11 due to this site
Old 08-26-2005, 03:38 PM

Default before & after comparisons

Thank you all for the quick feedback, looks like my productivity at work is about to drop dramatically due to this site!!

Here’s another question- how many of you that have performed the suspension & drivetrain mods have recorded before & after testing to quantify the results of the mods that have been made? I am just trying to get a feel for the kind of improvement that would be seen with the modifications I am considering. I have never had the opportunity to ride in a "pro-touring" modded car, so I am trying to get a feel for how drastic the handling performance gains would be. I will again lay out what I have & the mods I am considering:
now-68 camaro, stock 15" steel rallies with 215 front/275 rear,454BBC, TH400, stock power drums all around, standard shocks all around, power steering, stock rubber bushings, basically as it came out in '68, stock but excellent condition

potential mods related to handling- 18" alloys, 245front/335 rear, 13"Baer front/12"rear,DSE/Global front coil over Koni conversion, sway bar, quick ratio steering box, complete DSE Mini tub kit w/Koni’s (possible 4-link),TKO600 trans conversion.

All I am trying to figure out is how my car with the mods would handle compared to say, a stock 88 IROC, 84 Corvette, 2000 mustang GT, etc.... As it is now it would compare more to a 78 Ford Econoline van!!

maybe it's not that simple, but humor the newbie
Old 08-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Sounds like it will be an awesome car when done. Don't forget, I'm always looking for new cars and projects to become a part of Lateral-g.

As for quantifying the upgrades... I'll tell you that you'll be one happy guy. In stock form, the 1st Gens handle like a school bus and ride even worse. I was priveleged to get a ride in the Mule, and let me tell you, that is one sorted out car. It's exactly how I'd like my car to ride and handle, but we'll see. Mark has forgotten more about suspension technology than I'll ever know. I'd say with the upgrades you're making, it should have that tight, solid, European type ride that will blow away that 88 IROC you mentioned.

Maybe Rob (rwhite69) will chime in. He has the suspension mods done that you've listed and I know he's thrashed on his car.

My LS7 69 Camaro