Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 12-30-2015, 09:48 AM

Default Injectors not pulsing..need help

Ok, I need some help as I can’t figure out what’s going on.

My engine is a 2004 5.3 with LS1 injectors, Intake, coils and DBC throttle body.

The PCM is a 2004 express Van tune with the blue / green connectors.

I have fuel and spark but no injector pulse. I’m unsure where to look at this point. I have power at the injector on the 12v side but the noid light isn’t lighting up when I crank the motor.

Keep in mind this engine was running fine before I decided to move the PCM inside the car to clean up the engine bay. It has vats delete already in the programming and nothing has been changed there.

I re-wired and rebuilt my harness by shortening wires and added new wiring for most of the wiring. I meticulously labeled everything and doubled checked twice before inserting wire into pcm connector.

I also over-grounded the harness by putting ground terminals for inside the car and back of the engine head. Everything soldered and goes to each point. I also added grounds from the motor to firewall and motor to frame. Battery ground is on the engine block.

Here’s what I have done so far:

• Verified spark with a spark plug ignition tool (It lights up when cranking

• Verified fuel pressure with a gauge on the fuel rail @ 58lbs. Fuel squirted out of the rail and you can hear the pump priming when turning the key switch on.

• Verified 12 volts on the pcm and sensor circuits when cranking

• Verified motor will actually run by squirting starter fluid inside the throttle body

• Checked all grounds, including back of the head and inside the car.

• Pulled codes with a reader, at first I got a P0107 with meant issues with map sensor. I pulled the plug and checked 5v reference and low reference on the terminals..both were good so I put the plug back in. Cleared codes and checked again. Check engine light is still on but no codes now. I’m guessing the plug was partially out of the map sensor or something.

• I checked PCM grounds on terminals blue connector 1, 24, 27, 40, 64, 67 and green connector 1 and 40…..all were good.

• Battery has a full charge

• Checked fuses on my main fuse block for the harness, all good.

What can cause the injectors not to pulse? I was monkeying around with it for a split second last night and got it to work for one start cycle.

The noid light was working too. But for some reason it quit and I can’t duplicate it.

I need to check the wiring at the crank and camshaft sensor next but I am running out of ideas and the fact that I am not getting codes for either is making me less than optimistic about it.

I just don’t know why the check engine light is on.

It’s got to be something simple, I would appreciate any suggestions I can get.

I've got this listed on a few sites as I am off right now and would like to keep moving forward on this and get it going.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-31-2015, 09:20 AM

It's ALIVE!

After someone on another site pointed out my TPS being at 100% on my HPtuners scan I started looking into that

I'm actually kind of embarrassed about this but here is what happened:

I had the TPS low reference and 5v reference wires reversed. At some point a few years ago I removed the DBW throttle body set-up and added a PCM capable and cable throttle body set-up.

But to do this I had to add the specific wires to my 2004 harness which included TPS and IAC valve.

During the process I made notes in my 2004 Harness spreadsheet for Pin 8 and Pin 60 on the blue connector for low reference and 5 volts, only difference is I flipped the wire colors.

I actually installed it this way on my harness before I recently modified it, so it's been this way all along. Makes sense now why I was fighting idle and running issues before taking it to the body shop. All I did was labeled the wires based on my old pin outs and re-installed them the same way on this one.

I went to eficonnections website and looked at their info on the TPS pigtail and compared it to my spreadsheet, the colors were backwards. I pulled a unmodified 2004 GTO pin out list and sure enough it didn't match what I had.

Went and looked at my PCM connectors and I did in fact have them backwards, moved them to the correct spot.

Engine fired right up and didn't miss a lick
Old 12-31-2015, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,456 Times in 630 Posts

That makes sense, full throttle during cranking doesn't pulse the injectors, it's used to clear a flooded engine. Glad you got it figured out and thanks for posting the solution!

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit