Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 10-06-2007, 08:36 AM

I have a two post lift that I purchased on ebay from directlifts. The reasons I bought two post were lower cost and better access to work on the car. The lower cost was because there was no need to purchase the additional jack to raise the car to remove wheels. There are a couple of things to keep in mind, one of which is safety which had already been mentioned. The other is ceiling height, the lift requires almost 12 feet of ceiling height. Another is installation, this lift weighed 1500 pounds and it is no small task to raise those columns safely. I used the front end loader on my tractor but even with that raising columns that weigh 600 pounds or so is a little nerve wracking.

I've often thought about getting a 4 post lift so that I could use the one the best suits the job I'm doing.

Don
Old 10-06-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton
I have a two post lift that I purchased on ebay from directlifts. The reasons I bought two post were lower cost and better access to work on the car. The lower cost was because there was no need to purchase the additional jack to raise the car to remove wheels. There are a couple of things to keep in mind, one of which is safety which had already been mentioned. The other is ceiling height, the lift requires almost 12 feet of ceiling height. Another is installation, this lift weighed 1500 pounds and it is no small task to raise those columns safely. I used the front end loader on my tractor but even with that raising columns that weigh 600 pounds or so is a little nerve wracking.

I've often thought about getting a 4 post lift so that I could use the one the best suits the job I'm doing.

Don
I bought a direct lift also. It was no problem lifting the columns with myself and my neighbor picking them up by hand. I used my cherry picker to lift them off the truck and to separate them.Monday I start drilling the anchors and wire it. I modified my trusses and went from 10 foot to 13 foot ceilings.
Next will be insulate and drywall.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:02 AM

guys they make flush mount ancors that work great, better then the studs as if you move lift it will be smooth and you can leave ancors or fill with cement
Old 10-06-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68protouring454
guys they make flush mount ancors that work great, better then the studs as if you move lift it will be smooth and you can leave ancors or fill with cement
Any more details on the anchors? Where to get them or what they are called.
Thanks Ken
Old 10-07-2007, 06:58 PM

Hilti brand makes all kinds of anchors including flush type. They use to be called the Red Head style. That may have changed. I'm sure their website has what your looking for.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahowudoin
I modified my trusses and went from 10 foot to 13 foot ceilings.
Was this a regular type garage? (2 X 4 construction) How much work was that? Been thinking about it.
65 Impala SS
65 Corvair convert
64 Corvair Rampside
62 Corvair Greenbrier

http://www.sourceboards.com/
Old 10-08-2007, 07:10 AM

I have two words Bend pak
Old 10-08-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoneal
What Brands do you recommend and why?

I bought a 4-post CL8000XLT http://www.completehydraulic.com/cl08000xl.html from Complete Hydraulic Service & Sales in Franklin, Indiana. I bought it from them because it was close enough that I could drive over and pick it up to save me the truck freight. I combined my gas costs for that trip with a stop in Gosport, Indiana and picked up an Auto Twirler Plus making the trip a little more cost saving.

I made a removable floor for mine so that I can put smaller things up on the lift to get them out of the way which gives me more floor space to work on other things. They are little sections of bleachers from an foot ball field that lay across the opening. One advantage of them is that I can pull ATV's or lawn mowers on and take out a few of them from underneath and then change oil or change blades on the mower.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza
Was this a regular type garage? (2 X 4 construction) How much work was that? Been thinking about it.
Yes, it is/was a truss roof. I talked to my uncle who is a carpenter/contractor and he told me how to do it. Pretty easy and I did it by myself. If you want more info or pictures let me know.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahowudoin
Yes, it is/was a truss roof. I talked to my uncle who is a carpenter/contractor and he told me how to do it. Pretty easy and I did it by myself. If you want more info or pictures let me know.

yes please post some info and pictures on that. I was thinking of doing it. thanks in advance.