Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal87 View Post
From what i have gotten on here is dse is the way to go. Hiedts is the red headed step child thats no good. What about Art morrison, or "totalcost involved"? Because i would love to do the dse subframe but i just dont have 7 grand laying around to do it. Are there any cheaper subframes that are still good quality? I want the total package 12 or 13 in brakes a arms just about everything to put me on the road. Its for a 68 camaro.

heres the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h1762YX7-E
Ouch!!!!! Red headed step child thats no good? Who is saying this because that is far from true. Of course I work for Heidts and I am going to back up our products, but believe me........we did our research on these and did a hell of a job. I am personally very VERY impressed with what we have out for the muscle cars and what is still to come. I want to know what makes us the lower end.........why is our product junk, crap, no good? Feel free to pm me. This is stuff we need to know.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I would also recommend the Speedtech subframe. Seems like a good value and quality.
Project pics of my '69
Camaro Performers Magazine Feature
Old 01-30-2009, 02:02 PM

I don't cheap subframs would be the right choice. I think you are looking for more popular. Most members here do have DSE, AM, and also Heidts. I personally went the stock sub route for now because it was the best value for PT that was in my budget. And unless you are going all out at track events then a stock sub will be fine with some good upgrades. Well just my .02 and if I were you just search this site for older threads on this topic you will find good reviews on all of the subs it really just come down to what you want.

72 Chevy Nova in pieces trying to rebulid this bucket of bolts (really just a labor of love)

Crew Chief's: Helping pilots get laid since 1947
Old 01-30-2009, 02:29 PM

jcal87,

Check out the "One Lap Camaro" project. He stuck with the stock subframe and modified it to coilovers with some Chicane brackets from ATS.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...t=onelapcamaro

I am going the same route and it should be more than enough for me. I am also adding a Lee power steering box, Global West upper and lower arms plus ATS tall spindles.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP23271 View Post
jcal87,

Check out the "One Lap Camaro" project. He stuck with the stock subframe and modified it to coilovers with some Chicane brackets from ATS.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...t=onelapcamaro

I am going the same route and it should be more than enough for me. I am also adding a Lee power steering box, Global West upper and lower arms plus ATS tall spindles.
I think he used the ATS Chicane LM kit which if I remember correctly costs $4900 plus the labor to weld in the coilover brackets. Once you're done it is essentially as good as the DSE and AME offerings from what I have read.

Don
Old 01-30-2009, 02:46 PM

not worried about welding labor went to welding school for three years can do everything but tig and i have even dabbled in that a bit just wouldnt call myself a expert
Old 01-30-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
I think he used the ATS Chicane LM kit which if I remember correctly costs $4900 plus the labor to weld in the coilover brackets. Once you're done it is essentially as good as the DSE and AME offerings from what I have read.

Don
And will never be another since Tyler discontinued that kit nearly a year ago.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal87 View Post
From what i have gotten on here is dse is the way to go. Hiedts is the red headed step child thats no good. What about Art morrison, or "totalcost involved"? Because i would love to do the dse subframe but i just dont have 7 grand laying around to do it. Are there any cheaper subframes that are still good quality? I want the total package 12 or 13 in brakes a arms just about everything to put me on the road. Its for a 68 camaro.

heres the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h1762YX7-E
I wouldn’t call an aftermarket suspension innovator that’s been in business for 25 years a red headed step child. I wonder where these other suspension guys will be in 25 years. If you take a look at Super Chevy Mag (issue 1/09) they ran a 43.75 in the autocross. That’s more than 4 seconds faster than the C5 vette they tested. That’s one mean stepchild . I know of a local dealer that was offering some real good deals on Hiedts packages. Not only that I have yet to wait longer than a couple days for their kits to be delivered.
PM sent

I have no clue why there is such negativity against Hiedts. When I was wet behind the ears (over a decade ago) their tech line spent over an hour with me explaining suspension geometry. To this day the Hiedts tech line has been very informative.

I should stop building cars and go into marketing!
Old 01-30-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
And will never be another since Tyler discontinued that kit nearly a year ago.

It's still on their website so I assumed it was still available. The price listed is $4750.

Don
Old 01-30-2009, 04:32 PM

Heidt's, TCI and Fatman are all based off a suspension design from 30 years ago. The spindle is short, in most of the aftermarket mustang II kits there is no anti dive built into the suspension. The short length of the control arm also limits travel which mean you need a stiffer spring. Plus the camber gain is really fast due to short control arms. Plus they are just made withs maller tubing and therefore not as strong. There are alot of other popular suspensions that have gone by the ways side due what is currently avalible. The C4 corvette stuff, why would you ever run that stuff when the price of a replacement ball joint is more then a brand new control arm with ball joints and bushings and the A arm. The avaliblity of the brakes for the C6 out numbers the C4 10-1.

Technology has come a long ways in the past 10 years and you can see it in the products that are currently avalible on the market. The Mustang II design is like the Small Block chevy it still has its place but there are much better coices to made for the money.

Heidts may have some new products coming out that will set the world on it's ear, but they will ahve to be proven the days of having and old car that has updated suspension that drives like crap are over with, with as far as the bar has been raised in the past 10 years.