Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 01-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Supporting Member

What would a pair of custom-made spindles cost? Would it be possible to get the cost down if someone (that'd be you Dennis ) were to get a "group purchase" together of the optimal A-body spindle design?
Old 01-17-2006, 05:17 PM

Dennis, I thought the "A" and "F" spindles were interchangable except for the bolt on steering arms. Did i miss something or did someone tell me wrong.

Mike
Old 01-17-2006, 06:56 PM

Keith, KPI needs to be increased. Around 11* would work well to reduce scrub radius.

Derek, I already tried that, even at 1000 lot orders the price is still the same. The logic is that they are the only ones offering that service so there is no competition for you to shop at. They also mentioned that stay busy year round building and the process is the same for each, no timesavings by batch building.

Mike, the "A" and "F" spindles are interchangeable but the aspects that ATS changed were advantageous to the "F" body while only marginally helped the "A" body. They are better than "B" spindles but again, there are better options.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis68
Mike, the "A" and "F" spindles are interchangeable but the aspects that ATS changed were advantageous to the "F" body while only marginally helped the "A" body. They are better than "B" spindles but again, there are better options.
Gottcha. I thought they were the same, but did not consider the changes made for the ATS spindle.

Mike
Old 01-17-2006, 08:54 PM

wow, this topic really took off...thats what i get for goin to work i guess

i actually decided to build my own as per the software specs, my jig parts should be back from the machinist this week, all the spindle parts should be in begining of next week, except for the steering arms, which will be made by the same guy making the jig.

obviously this isnt for the faint of heart, in fact i probably wont even be final welding them, leave that to a real welder wonder how busy matt is

but my reasoning was simply time frame, and having a spare set made if needed, the turn around time for custom fabbed spindles sucks, and should you want or need a replacement...you are S.O.L.

i will make sure to post pics during the process
Old 01-17-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by race-rodz
having a spare set made if needed, the turn around time for custom fabbed spindles sucks, and should you want or need a replacement...you are S.O.L.
Exactly the reason I am going to compromise and run the Coleman spindles. They are a regualr stocking item and I can have another one in a day if need be. The turn around on the custom designed peices are a few weeks at best. They also use off the shelf (OEM) bearings, seals, and hubs...sort of.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:19 AM

Who sells coleman spindles and would these be compatible with coleman brakes I assume?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:02 AM

www.colemanracing.com or www.stockcarproducts.com
Old 01-18-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Exactly the reason I am going to compromise and run the Coleman spindles. They are a regualr stocking item and I can have another one in a day if need be. The turn around on the custom designed peices are a few weeks at best. They also use off the shelf (OEM) bearings, seals, and hubs...sort of.
Are you talking about one of these:

http://www.colemanracing.com/catalog...p?cPath=31_559

Which off the shelf ones are you going to get? Which hubs and bearings do they use? Which suspension analysis are you using to zero in on your geometry? Sorry for all the questions, but this might be something I'd like to do for my 2nd gen f-body.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Keith, KPI needs to be increased. Around 11* would work well to reduce scrub radius.
So let me see if I understand this correctly. By increasing KPI, the intersection of the imaginary line drawn through the upper and lower balljoints and the tire contact patch would move outward closer to the center of the contact patch? Or another way to visualize it, the upper balljoint would move in closer to the vehicle with the snout in the same horizontal position?

'70 El Camino SS L78 396 - It's back!
Lateral-g Feature
Chevy High Performance Feature

'09 Viper SRT-10X
Car Craft 2009 RSE Winner
Car Craft Feature
NARRA Road America TTU Record Holder