Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 08-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Love the updates and summary post. Thanks very much for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
HERE IS WHAT Dave is doing for us:

Installing pin out and a labeled wire for the PWM control module.
Installing pin out and a labeled wire for the GM A/C pressure sensor.
Installing pin out and a labeled wire for reverse lock out.
Just tonight I pulled my GMPP LS9 harness apart. I removed the bulkhead portion of the harness, and moved the wires over to the pedal, OBDII connector, etc. portion of the harness to go with all the other wires coming inside the car. I also removed the rear O2 sensor wires -- the GM instructions tell you simply that they are unused. Well, now they are coiled neatly on my workbench. And don't get me started on the coil/injector connectors. They are backwards, and GM includes a little whoop-di-do to fix it.

Sorry, I forgot where I was going.

Here's my question: can Dave or Mark or somebody post the pinouts for the ECM (E67) so I can add a
  1. engine oil temp sensor, and
  2. GM A/C pressure sensor, and
  3. 2nd fan control wire.

Thanks!!

II Much Fabrication's Blog New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.

Last edited by parsonsj; 08-12-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:10 AM

One more question: where did you source the C6 PWM controller? Did you post that pinout? Sorry if I missed that...

Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 AM

More information about my harness: both high speed (pin 54/connector 1) and low speed (pin 49/connector 3) fan controls are connected to the same single fan relay.

The A/C sensor is not connected (pin 57/connector 3, I believe). I can't find any information about engine oil temp.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:57 PM

Default More information

The A/C pressure sensor is wired in at pins J3-21 (reference ground), J3-37 (reference 5V), and J3-57 (signal). The PWM control wire is J3-64.

There is no EOT sensor wired directly to the ECM, so that part of the equation is out. Have to rely on ECT for that, which is obviously just fine, especially if you use the C&R Racing water to oil cooler. Using the C6 PWM, the cooling fan PWM control wire from the ECM (J3-64) goes to connector 6.

Get all that wired correctly and the rest is just tuning via HP Tuners (which Dave told us about way back at the beginning of the thread).

Did we ever figure out if the one fan speed wire could drive two PWM controllers?

Thanks guys!

ps. Many thanks to Scot McKittrick for getting me the E67 pinout. Using that, my 07 Z06 Helms books and an online LS4 book is how worked all that out.

Last edited by parsonsj; 08-12-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:53 AM

Anyway, in this ongoing thread where I'm talking with myself , I'm wondering if anybody knows how the control wire works from the ECM. I'm assuming that it varies voltage, but I don't know that.

If it does vary voltage, what's the range and which direction does it go? Say if the voltage varies from 1V to 11V is 1V 100% fan, and 11V 10% fan? Or is it the other way around?

Old 08-14-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
Here's my question: can Dave or Mark or somebody post the pinouts for the ECM (E67) so I can add a
  1. engine oil temp sensor, and
  2. GM A/C pressure sensor, and
  3. 2nd fan control wire.

Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
More information about my harness: both high speed (pin 54/connector 1) and low speed (pin 49/connector 3) fan controls are connected to the same single fan relay.

The A/C sensor is not connected (pin 57/connector 3, I believe). I can't find any information about engine oil temp.
LSA and LS9 engines utilize the I/O channel that is sometimes used for oil temperature for IAT2 (post intercooler Intake Air Temp). There are no additional I/O channels to take in engine oil temp on the supercharged engines.

A/C pressure sensor wiring is correct - and can be adjusted to fan driver output based on A/C head pressure. Remeber - highest requested fan driver percentage wins.

E67 controller has 3 fan output drivers - however, when used with PWM fan control, only one of those outputs is utilized. It provides a PWM output at frequency specific to the fan driver controller. I've not measured voltage based on PWM % output to determine what way the voltage goes based on desired output.

When fan drivers are used as discrete outputs, they can be used to close relays that can then be wired in parallel, series or parallel series combination to drive mutliple fans at low and high settings.

I'm a huge fan of PWM cooling fan control as I HATE listening to high speed fan during anything other than track situations that demand it. Nothing worse than pulling up and having the sweet rumble of an engine masked by a fan screaming away.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 AM

Can all of this be programmed into the GM Performance Parts LS2 controller?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samckitt View Post
Can all of this be programmed into the GM Performance Parts LS2 controller?
Yes - All GMPP crate engine controllers are E67's and can be programmed for fan control in same manner.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikels View Post
Yes - All GMPP crate engine controllers are E67's and can be programmed for fan control in same manner.
You're forgetting E37, E38 and E40 ecus.

'67 GTO LS3 Swap
Old 08-14-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
E67 controller has 3 fan output drivers - however, when used with PWM fan control, only one of those outputs is utilized. It provides a PWM output at frequency specific to the fan driver controller. I've not measured voltage based on PWM % output to determine what way the voltage goes based on desired output.

When fan drivers are used as discrete outputs, they can be used to close relays that can then be wired in parallel, series or parallel series combination to drive mutliple fans at low and high settings.

I'm a huge fan of PWM cooling fan control as I HATE listening to high speed fan during anything other than track situations that demand it. Nothing worse than pulling up and having the sweet rumble of an engine masked by a fan screaming away.
Me too on PWM control.

So... net net: I need to use a C6 fan controller since it is definitely compatible with the E67. For dual fans, I need to use two controllers, and hope that the E67 can drive two PWM controllers from the same wire.