Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 11-10-2013, 04:08 PM

I don't really need 800hp but it sounds nice it think in the 600 range is good...I was just curious about it...I think a stock LSA will be good for what i want just a smooth, engine with some power to show off a bit...I have a 600hp 468 BBC like 13:1 compression it just big hulk of an engine everything vibrating and rattling around not a very comfortable ride...
Old 11-10-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankc31 View Post
I don't really need 800hp but it sounds nice it think in the 600 range is good...I was just curious about it...I think a stock LSA will be good for what i want just a smooth, engine with some power to show off a bit...I have a 600hp 468 BBC like 13:1 compression it just big hulk of an engine everything vibrating and rattling around not a very comfortable ride...
I test drove Brian Thomson's Chevelle, but it is an LSX 454 with LS9 blower and LS7 heads. Idles rather nice around 650 rpm, you can't tell it has this much power. There is no vibration as you would get in big roller cam engine. I had a 383 small block with full roller and 12.5 to 1 compression, it would rattle the entire car. Brian's drives rather nice, but he has rubber engine mounts, well, if you saw Camaro XV thread it has those mounts as well. My 67 Camaro has new rubber mounts as well.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...y_chevelle_ss/

The LSA should be fine, but regardless there is lot of added cost for radiatoor intercooler setup, pulley setup, custom airbox, harness etc. I saw one guy post 2 to 3k in this thread. His figures were a bit low.

Jeff

Last edited by Sparks67; 11-10-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:58 AM

The only difference is the Intercooler on the front of the core support. And if your going to use an Auto Rad coresupport I think they offer this as an additional option now days. The Harness, Air box and everything else will need to be built no matter what LS engine you run. The Front drive system is just 200 bucks more expensive then a standard bracket system. The Harness is just a bit more expensive then a standard LS3. Now the LS9 stuff is alot more expensive but it is a much better assembly but at double the cost.

I think this is the BEST BANG for the buck crate engine out there.

Rodger
Old 11-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks67 View Post
I test drove Brian Thomson's Chevelle, but it is an LSX 454 with LS9 blower and LS7 heads.
Jeff
A little off topic, but I thought the LS9 blower was only applicable to the LS3 type heads and not LS7. I know LS9 has it's own set of heads, but the port configuration is what I'm talking about.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Jake's Transmission in TX can also build stout 4L80E transmissions to handle 1000rwhp+ for a reasonable price.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:08 PM

rpm transmissions does all the high hp gm transmissions on alot of builds. they are located in anderson indiana..

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/#!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks View Post
The only difference is the Intercooler on the front of the core support. And if your going to use an Auto Rad coresupport I think they offer this as an additional option now days. The Harness, Air box and everything else will need to be built no matter what LS engine you run. The Front drive system is just 200 bucks more expensive then a standard bracket system. The Harness is just a bit more expensive then a standard LS3. Now the LS9 stuff is alot more expensive but it is a much better assembly but at double the cost.

Rodger
The problem that I found is that not all radiator companies were willing to build a radiator with the intercooler setup. Actually, I only found Autorad was willing to build it. Ron Davis was willing to build the radiator, but not in Air to water intercooler setup. I got a price for an intercooler from Bell Intercoolers, but by the time that you added the Ron Davis radiator it was more than the Autorad. Mark Stielow is using a Dewitt radiator on Camaro XV, so that is the other option.

Cost for the custom AutoRad is $2300. heat exchanger water pump is about $200, LSA fead system is about $1000 (http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3629-gm...e-system.aspx), Cost is more for A/C. Additional cost of $1000 if you plan to do A/C. Harness is about $1500, but Speartech has one for $3400. http://www.speartech.com/product_p/lsaharness.htm
Fuel tank with fuel pumps etc. LSA Fuel tank might be around $1200 or so. Mine was a bit more, but I have dual fuel pumps. Tuning, is around $400 to $800, etc.

So this figure is a bit off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsinclair View Post
the price you are seeing probably doesn't include the cost of the accessory drive,heat exchanger water pump and the heat exchanger if its the $12000 unit. figure adding another 2-3k on top of that for a front runner system and needed components.

Jeff

Last edited by Sparks67; 11-11-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevelle View Post
A little off topic, but I thought the LS9 blower was only applicable to the LS3 type heads and not LS7. I know LS9 has it's own set of heads, but the port configuration is what I'm talking about.
Used LS7 heads with tall deck LSX block - since required spacers between SC and heads, they were made to adapt LS9 SC to LS7 heads.

For all those claims of 800 HP LSA engines (or even mid to high 700), just do the math with a 1.9L SC and you'll see why not so likely if even possible. You can even download compressor maps including adiabatic efficiency, drive losses, etc. from Eaton website.

We've done a whole lot of work at Thomson Automotive with Eaton using factory GM housings and Harrop housings with TVS rotors - I'll dig up some it the engineering data - but can tell you I've never seen a 1.9L LSA SC make that kind of power - regardless of engine size. Ever.

BTW, Brian's Chevelle makes 850 HP / 930 TQ on pump gas. And this was built before our latest learnings (like what we did in Stielow's latest engine in Mayhem). Confident we can get another ~80-100 HP with what we've learned there. After all, his car is kinda 'soft'......

Dave

Last edited by mikels; 11-11-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks View Post

Rodger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks67 View Post
The problem that I found is that not all radiator companies were willing to build a radiator with the intercooler setup. Actually, I only found Autorad was willing to build it. Ron Davis was willing to build the radiator, but not in Air to water intercooler setup. I got a price for an intercooler from Bell Intercoolers, but by the time that you added the Ron Davis radiator it was more than the Autorad. Mark Stielow is using a Dewitt radiator on Camaro XV, so that is the other option.

Cost for the custom AutoRAd is $2300. heat exchanger water pump is about $200, LSA fead system is about $1000, but if you get a custom pulley setup it is about $2500, Cost is more for A/C. Harness is about $1500, but Speartech has one for $3400. http://www.speartech.com/product_p/lsaharness.htm
Fuel tank with fuel pumps etc. LSA Fuel tank might be around $1200 or so. Mine was a bit more, but I have dual fuel pumps. Tuning, is around $400 to $800, etc.

So this figure is a bit off.

Jeff
Sparks because alot of guys read this stuff and may get pushed away from an LSA , let's be clear:

- inner cooler/heat exchanger will be required. The AutoRad is a smokin deal for what you get and only a bit more than a standard set up.
- the harness is required no matter what LS motor you buy and Speartech, while a great vendor with quality products, is way out of market. I know of a harness vendor that can do this for one third the price.
- there is absolutely no requirement for a custom front drive, but depending on the application some mods may be needed. You wanna play, you gotta pay. That's hot rodding.
- yes a fuel system to support the blower will be reqiured, but the Vaporworx CTSV pump will do just fine.

You are entitled to your opinion, but these expert posts of yours are confusing at best. There is more than one way to solve a problem.

No offense intended. Just straight talk, like Rodger's post.

Last edited by Ron in SoCal; 11-11-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in SoCal View Post
Sparks because alot of guys read this stuff and may get pushed away from an LSA , let's be clear:

- inner cooler/heat exchanger will be required. The AutoRad is a smokin deal for what you get and only a bit more than a standard set up.
- the harness is required no matter what LS motor you buy and Speartech, while a great vendor with quality products, is way out of market. I know of a harness vendor that can do this for one third the price.
- there is absolutely no requirement for a custom front drive, but depending on the application some mods may be needed. You wanna play, you gotta pay. That's hot rodding.
- yes a fuel system to support the blower will be reqiured, but the Vaporworx CTSV pump will do just fine.

You are entitled to your opinion, but these expert posts of yours are confusing at best. There is more than one way to solve a problem.

No offense intended. Just straight talk, like Rodger's post.

Ron,

So why don't you build one for your car! Let's see if you can do it for $15,000. You seem to have the connections. New harness for $1000, that is less than GM cost.

PS. most of my parts that were quoted were GM parts, but like you said it is hot rodding. So you have your choice on parts, but if you can stay in budget of a turn key, new LSA engine at $15,000.

Jeff