Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 01-02-2014, 03:32 PM

Default Has Anyone Used the Holley/Hooker Exhaust Manifolds?

Ever since my test fit didn't go so well and I know for sure my stock manifolds won't fit I've been looking at various headers and stuff and came across the cast iron exhaust manifolds from Holley/Hooker.

https://www.holley.com/types/LS%20Ca...0Manifolds.asp

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker+Headers/520/8501/10002/-1

Has anyone tried these in a '69 Camaro? I'm wondering about the clearances and if it will fit with the factory power steering box.

I'd rather use manifolds like this as opposed to using next months house payment on a set of headers that may or may not fit. They should be good for enough power for now, they probably won't leak, and they'll probably last forever as well.

There is a sheet on their website with dimensions and I printed it out to check out this weekend. I just thought maybe someone already tried them.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread
Old 01-02-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi View Post
Ever since my test fit didn't go so well and I know for sure my stock manifolds won't fit I've been looking at various headers and stuff and came across the cast iron exhaust manifolds from Holley/Hooker.

https://www.holley.com/types/LS%20Ca...0Manifolds.asp

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker+Headers/520/8501/10002/-1

Has anyone tried these in a '69 Camaro? I'm wondering about the clearances and if it will fit with the factory power steering box.

I'd rather use manifolds like this as opposed to using next months house payment on a set of headers that may or may not fit. They should be good for enough power for now, they probably won't leak, and they'll probably last forever as well.

There is a sheet on their website with dimensions and I printed it out to check out this weekend. I just thought maybe someone already tried them.
I can tell you first-hand that they won't fit on a 1st-gen F-body or 3rd-gen Nova due to interference with the steering box.

Last edited by toddoky; 01-03-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:55 PM

Fwiw I used Dynatech headers on my 69 Camaro and fitment is perfect.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
Fwiw I used Dynatech headers on my 69 Camaro and fitment is perfect.
part number DTC-715-11410 is $525 shipped

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 01-05-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
part number DTC-715-11410 is $525 shipped
Hey Vince, do you have a picture of how far the collectors of the Dynatech headers hang down below the subframe? I've read multiple comments from users saying they hang too low and I'd like to see it for myself.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the insight.

BTW, I'm using trans-dapt stock position mount plates that are supposed to mimic the stock SBC bellhousing location.

I have some pictures if they'll help but can't post them until tomorrow. Basically, the top inboard-rear bolt on the steering box lines up with the second spark plug from the back if you are looking from overhead.

Maybe some of you guys with different header brands could snap a pic from above with a tape measure in it for scale?

And yes, I'd rather have my headers tuck up pretty tight. My engine sits fairly low with the Holley 302-2 pan about 1/2" above the crossmember.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the insight.

BTW, I'm using trans-dapt stock position mount plates that are supposed to mimic the stock SBC bellhousing location.

I have some pictures if they'll help but can't post them until tomorrow. Basically, the top inboard-rear bolt on the steering box lines up with the second spark plug from the back if you are looking from overhead.

Maybe some of you guys with different header brands could snap a pic from above with a tape measure in it for scale?

And yes, I'd rather have my headers tuck up pretty tight. My engine sits fairly low with the Holley 302-2 pan about 1/2" above the crossmember.
I have various images at work of the new Hooker headers from the same angle and can post them up for you for a comparative reference if you like. The other location you can get a common distance location that is familiar to most is how far away your passenger side cylinder head is from the firewall...I have a clear shot showing that distance obtained with using the new Hooker clamshell retrofit engine brackets and crossmembers as well, so with all of that you should get a fair idea of what your header options are. Lasty, I think it would be important to you to ask anyone posting images of their combos to also show the ground clearance of the headers since it seems to be high on everyone's list of important design features.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddoky View Post
I have various images at work of the new Hooker headers from the same angle and can post them up for you for a comparative reference if you like. The other location you can get a common distance location that is familiar to most is how far away your passenger side cylinder head is from the firewall...I have a clear shot showing that distance obtained with using the new Hooker clamshell retrofit engine brackets and crossmembers as well, so with all of that you should get a fair idea of what your header options are. Lasty, I think it would be important to you to ask anyone posting images of their combos to also show the ground clearance of the headers since it seems to be high on everyone's list of important design features.
Yes, please post some pix!

Here are a couple of pictures from this weekend:
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Yes, please post some pix!

Here are a couple of pictures from this weekend:
As you requested, here's a similar picture showing the clearances of the Hooker driver side header around the steering box and one of the ground clearance under the car. The fitment is obtained using the new Hooker mounts and transmission crossmembers; fitment with other brand/type mounts is questionable due to the unique co-dependent geometry used in the design of the Hooker parts. There is also mid-length headers available that share the same basic wrap around the steering box, so that is another option for you if long tubes don't suit your needs.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddoky View Post
As you requested, here's a similar picture showing the clearances of the Hooker driver side header around the steering box and one of the ground clearance under the car. The fitment is obtained using the new Hooker mounts and transmission crossmembers; fitment with other brand/type mounts is questionable due to the unique co-dependent geometry used in the design of the Hooker parts. There is also mid-length headers available that share the same basic wrap around the steering box, so that is another option for you if long tubes don't suit your needs.
Thanks!

It looks really close to mine. At first I couldn't figure it out in relation to that spark plug until I realized you didn't have one in the hole.
It would "appear" that the hookers would fit mine. Last I checked though, you didn't offer stainless steel for the LS swap application. Why is that?

On the other hand, I've got to do something about my subframe now that I found it's pretty crappy. Don't have an extra one laying about do you? LOL