Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 01-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerno View Post
I've been checking around but can't find a clear answer. I currently have a close ratio T56 Mag behind my SBC. If I get the LS3 can I swap the T56 Mag directly in place of the 6060?

You may want to verify with one of the vendors here, but I believe that the input shaft and bellhousing will need to be changed
you didn't say if you are mechanical or hydraulic clutch setup either??
Old 01-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
I've been checking around but can't find a clear answer. I currently have a close ratio T56 Mag behind my SBC. If I get the LS3 can I swap the T56 Mag directly in place of the 6060?
Steve, I had a T56 Mag behind my SBC and I used a Rockland Auto LT1/LS1 conversion kit (do a google, it will take you to the magizine article and thats how i found the company). Pretty much input shaft difference, but you will need bellhousing, clutch, pplate, mcylinder etc.....

I am not regretting for a second my switch to LS power, my swap had issues and took three months longer than it was supposed to, but way way worth it...

Let me know if you have any questions.. Also will take your car into the 40 to 50k territory with all you've done too it....

MIke

Last edited by glassman; 01-12-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-12-2014, 04:09 PM

If the purchase and swap would stretch the budget, but you feel it's still a good deal, get it and hold it. You could always sell the transmission if you only want the engine, recoup some of the cost and apply those funds towards what you'll need to mate the Magnum to the LS3.

It's possible the seller needed the ECU for whatever he's replacing the LS3 with?

Lots of questions for sure, but it sounds like you may have found a good deal if it's legit. Just remember you don't HAVE to swap it immediately. But if you decide to, I have an engine lift if you need to borrow it.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcarguy View Post
the derivative VIN is located on the drivers side on the block, just behind the head
Thanks for the info. I'll have the guy shoot a photo of the code on the block so I can check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcarguy View Post
You may want to verify with one of the vendors here, but I believe that the input shaft and bellhousing will need to be changed
you didn't say if you are mechanical or hydraulic clutch setup either??
I'll call up Hurst or American Powertrain tomorrow to see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
Steve, I had a T56 Mag behind my SBC and I used a Rockland Auto LT1/LS1 conversion kit (do a google, it will take you to the magizine article and thats how i found the company). Pretty much input shaft difference, but you will need bellhousing, clutch, pplate, mcylinder etc.....

I am not regretting for a second my switch to LS power, my swap had issues and took three months longer than it was supposed to, but way way worth it...

Let me know if you have any questions.. Also will take your car into the 40 to 50k territory with all you've done too it....

MIke
Not what i needed to hear... now I want it more..

Think I would have to do some more cosmetic work to the car to get the 40-50K range but crazy to think it's getting up there. I still think of it as a 10K driver and track car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
If the purchase and swap would stretch the budget, but you feel it's still a good deal, get it and hold it. You could always sell the transmission if you only want the engine, recoup some of the cost and apply those funds towards what you'll need to mate the Magnum to the LS3.

It's possible the seller needed the ECU for whatever he's replacing the LS3 with?

Lots of questions for sure, but it sounds like you may have found a good deal if it's legit. Just remember you don't HAVE to swap it immediately. But if you decide to, I have an engine lift if you need to borrow it.
Exactly what I'm thinking to do. I need to get this beast back on the track and tune the suspension first. If I get the engine I'll throw it in my trailer so it's out of the way. Maybe in March I'll work the swap. I'm also talking to the guy to see if I can get it without the trans and bell housing for ~$3500 including the clutch and slave. this way I have all the smaller parts that eat up the budget.

He mentioned something about his buddy using the ECM but its hard to say. Thinking of ECM, I sent an email over to Lethal asking if they could provide an ECM with a preloaded tune so I could plug and play.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:42 PM

Seller sent some pics of the engine over today. He also said he's sell the engine minus trans and bell housing but letting me keep the flywheel, clutch and slave cylinder for $4200. I'm thinking to push him for $3500 unless someone here is interested in the trans and bell housing..

Name:  image_2.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  image_3.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  image_4.jpg
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  image_5.jpg
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  image_6.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  57.9 KB
Old 01-14-2014, 01:43 AM

Not sure what your waiting for really but I'd have paypaled the seller days ago.
Project pics of my '69
Camaro Performers Magazine Feature
Old 01-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Seller sent some pics of the engine over today. He also said he's sell the engine minus trans and bell housing but letting me keep the flywheel, clutch and slave cylinder for $4200. I'm thinking to push him for $3500 unless someone here is interested in the trans and bell housing..

Attachment 44744

Attachment 44745

Attachment 44746

Attachment 44747

Attachment 44748

Attachment 44749

Just buy the whole package for $5k and sell off the trans! It is worth more than the $800 that he was going to deduct
See if another member wants to "go in with you" on the package and he gets the TR6060??
The longer that you talk about it, the more chances that someone else will swing in and buy it!!

Like Rybar said, you should've paypaled the seller days ago!
Old 01-14-2014, 02:31 PM

I just text the buyer asking if he'll go $3500 minus trans and Bell. If he doesn't I'll most likely take it all for 5K. The guy is not far from me so I'm trying to meet with him tomorrow. I've been stupid busy with work and already way over my budget so my though is that if the engine deal works out in accordance with my schedule it's meant to be. If not then I'll keep my SBC and simply leave the car as is for a while longer. With the new LT1 stuff coming through I assume the LS stuff will continue to get cheaper.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:06 PM

You can always help your budget buy buying the setup and flipping it as I'm sure you could easily.
Project pics of my '69
Camaro Performers Magazine Feature
Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 PM

^^^^^^^^^ this.

You can make money on this deal, NO PROBLEMO!
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!