Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 01-30-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Is it a wet saw??

PS -- Build a new shop with a smaller house -- houses are overrated.
Yes it's a wet saw.

My garage plan was ruined by a public utility access on the east side of my property. Original plan was to have a 3-car drive-thru garage with the back drive-thru portion (15x25) being shop and layout space. That would have increased the footage to just under 1200 s.f.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:11 PM

Wow very nice! I "need" one of those .

Congrats on the unload. That looked like fun.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC71Nova View Post
Wow very nice! I "need" one of those .

Congrats on the unload. That looked like fun.
Thanks.......I have further appreciation for what the Egyptians accomplished.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:56 PM

One thing leads to another........with the larger saw and already having a space issue every item sitting on the floor was moved and reconfigured today. I also reworked the left side which allowed me to move the car over gaining a valuable 12" in the work area. It feels spaciously cozy now.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:19 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Even if you had 100,000 square feet... the minute something "new" comes in -- everything gets re-configured. Can't tell you how many times I've done that shuffle. It can actually be fun - and forces a guy to think what's really needed or how to store stuff - or to build something to make the shop more efficient.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Even if you had 100,000 square feet... the minute something "new" comes in -- everything gets re-configured. Can't tell you how many times I've done that shuffle. It can actually be fun - and forces a guy to think what's really needed or how to store stuff - or to build something to make the shop more efficient.
Isn't that the truth. The business had 15,000 s.f. and I fought maximizing lack of space issues every week.

Yesterday was definitely 8 hours of high quality shop time which I thoroughly enjoy!

I might just compound it today. Dinking around the shop with the dogs and listening/watching the Phoenix Open golf tourney sounds like a plan!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 PM

Very nice, Scott. I unloaded my JET 7x12 yesterday (as you saw on FB). Mine is more basic (belt not direct gear drive) and is not a swivel type. I am really looking forward to putting it to use. Did a few test cuts and Indeed the coolant makes cutting so much nicer. I ordered up some good bimetal blades and coolant concentrate also.

And oh yes, these things are heavy.
Attached Images

Project update thread here:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=12743

My Lateral-G Page

My Shop Build:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310

Last edited by rwhite692; 01-31-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite692 View Post
Very nice, Scott. I unloaded my JET 7x12 yesterday (as you saw on FB). Mine is more basic (belt not direct gear drive) and is not a swivel type. I am really looking forward to putting it to use. Did a few test cuts and Indeed the coolant makes cutting so much nicer. I ordered up some good bimetal blades and coolant concentrate also.

And oh yes, these things are heavy.
Rob that saw is all you need unless you're doing a lot of miters which is the reason I went to the swivel head. Mine cuts like a house of fire compared to my small dry saw. I installed the 8-12 blade tonight and will probably order a 10-14 and straight 14 as my go-to blades. Be careful when changing blades and setting the tracking, the tensioning/tracking system is goofy and sensitive. At least thats my initial impression. Tightening the tensioning bolts has a major impact on tracking. I learned the hard way and cut through a section the backside blade guard near the top wheel. Only took a couple seconds with the stock 6-10 blade.

So I put the saw in neutral and manually spun the wheel to set tracking.

FWIW - I'm also going to pick up some rem pieces of solid round stock to have on hand for conditioning new blades.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the tips, Scott, I'll watch out for that. Conditioning the new blades is a good idea, I have a few chunks of 3" solid round plain steel I can make some "baloney slices" from. One of the reasons I bought the saw is also for being able to cut down round stock to put it in the lathe. There is a really great metal scrap yard down in San Jose that I get to visit once in a while, It is loaded with cut (much of it new) remnant materials and now, having this saw around opens up a lot more possibilities.

Project update thread here:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=12743

My Lateral-G Page

My Shop Build:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310
Old 02-01-2014, 02:04 PM

Are these saws able to stand vertically and use as a sort of table band saw? I can see how the saw can stand vertical but I have no idea where a table would come from. I want this function to make brackets so Im looking for more fuction without having multiple tools. If possible can someone take a picture please.