Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 04-22-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hugger View Post
Sieg....I am disappointed you are not impressed with the Krylon Semi-flat. I was hoping that was the answer. I am not one who likes to watch paint dry, so I think the X-O may drive me crazy. I am certain to stick my finger in it like an 8 year old and have to start over.
I was crushed!

I was hoping it was a bad run but I've bought multiple cans 3-4 months apart and I fear they've change formulas. I'd still try it. Just be prepared to be patient and apply multiple (5-6) very light coats a couple minutes apart and use 10-12" distance. The first coats lay down with a translucent look which the semi-flat (now satin) never did. It's much easier to get runs whereas the previous formula was 3 medium passes and walk away.

The X-O is testy but it lays down and covers nice and the durability appears to be superior. But it's definitely a shoot it and step away from the part for 8 hours paint.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:40 AM

I've had really good luck using the trim spray that another poster mentioned. It is about the best match for the semi-gloss under the hood.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 AM

what are you guys using for the black plastic on the interior, like kick panels or arms rests?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:08 PM

So I went & bought the SEM trim paint. It went on horribly thin, and I told myself it was junk. But it dried in minutes, and I thought I would give it a 2nd coat. That covered MUCH better. I thought this was the stuff to use, loved the sheen and it sprayed reasonably well. But thought I would test it over the other samples I had tried previously on scrap metal before I committed to the car. SURPRISE! It reacted to the Krylon/ Rustoleum/ Valspar samples & curdled up. As I has done a coat of the Krylon satin on the car, and I won't be able to completely remove it, now the SEM is out.
I am waiting for Fedex to bring the Krylon semi-flat today. If that doesn't work, I am back to square 1. Sheesh. Lucky I got time on my hands....
Old 04-22-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
I was crushed!

I was hoping it was a bad run but I've bought multiple cans 3-4 months apart and I fear they've change formulas. I'd still try it. Just be prepared to be patient and apply multiple (5-6) very light coats a couple minutes apart and use 10-12" distance. The first coats lay down with a translucent look which the semi-flat (now satin) never did. It's much easier to get runs whereas the previous formula was 3 medium passes and walk away.

The X-O is testy but it lays down and covers nice and the durability appears to be superior. But it's definitely a shoot it and step away from the part for 8 hours paint.
I agree completely with your assessment of the Krylon. It was soooo perfect. But I don't think the X-O will work for me. I simply don't have the patience to wait 8 hours for ANYTHING. I will stick my fingers in it or worse yet, try to "carefully" install the taillights while it is still tacky & ruin the job. I know me... it's one of my many shortcomings!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 495 Posts

I love the Sem's and have painted over other paints with no problems.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
I love the Sem's and have painted over other paints with no problems.
Hmmm, wish I could say that. I wonder if it matters how old the previous layer(s) are? I bet if it has completely cured, it isn't a problem. But who knows how long that may be? Could be months....

Just goes to show us YMMV.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hugger View Post
I agree completely with your assessment of the Krylon. It was soooo perfect. But I don't think the X-O will work for me. I simply don't have the patience to wait 8 hours for ANYTHING. I will stick my fingers in it or worse yet, try to "carefully" install the taillights while it is still tacky & ruin the job. I know me... it's one of my many shortcomings!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk68 View Post
what are you guys using for the black plastic on the interior, like kick panels or arms rests?
SEM trim black
Old 04-22-2014, 05:44 PM

Upol black satin. Sprays out the can very nice and looks great. Might have to let that Krylon dry in the sun a few days.