Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 07-12-2014, 06:38 AM

Default Ls6 to 69 camaro conversion kit

This is my first time doing this so be easy with me. What are some budget friendly options for putting ls6/tremec into a 1969 convertible? Motor trans come with pedals and all accessories and comp. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Banned

can use a bit more information to help you out

Your 69':
stock subframe? springs?
engine / trans combo in it now?
existing wiring / fuel / exhaust system original?
factory A/C car?

The LS6/ Tremec:
what year and model car is it out of?
sounds like it is a complete drop out

Knowing this info will help in showing you what is available and your options

Jeff
Old 07-12-2014, 10:56 AM

1969 camaro convertible small block 4 speed car. Stock subframe stock springs tubular a arms 2" drop spindles, stock type power steering no rack.Car is completely apart and going on rotisserie in the next few weeks.
Motor that's going in is a 04 ctsV ls6/6 speed. Comes with usual pedals and harness ready to drop in.
Now I'm starting from scratch with all this. I had bought a new gas tank and lines for a small block to go back in so I'll need info on fuel pump and supply lines or another gas tank.
Going back with stock console that has gauges in it and stock dash that a tic tock tach.
No exhaust now so need info on that too.
Wiring is being replaced with new (need info for that took if there's one that's user friendly to my project) meaning the whole cars wiring harness.
Rear suspension is stock 12 bolt with multi leafs and trying to decide on 4 link or shock relocation but that's another subject.
All this is being done in my garage with the exception of spraying car.
So I need info on a lot of stuff
Old 07-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69lsvert View Post
1969 camaro convertible small block 4 speed car. Stock subframe stock springs tubular a arms 2" drop spindles, stock type power steering no rack.Car is completely apart and going on rotisserie in the next few weeks.
Motor that's going in is a 04 ctsV ls6/6 speed. Comes with usual pedals and harness ready to drop in.
Now I'm starting from scratch with all this. I had bought a new gas tank and lines for a small block to go back in so I'll need info on fuel pump and supply lines or another gas tank.
Going back with stock console that has gauges in it and stock dash that a tic tock tach.
No exhaust now so need info on that too.
Wiring is being replaced with new (need info for that took if there's one that's user friendly to my project) meaning the whole cars wiring harness.
Rear suspension is stock 12 bolt with multi leafs and trying to decide on 4 link or shock relocation but that's another subject.
All this is being done in my garage with the exception of spraying car.
So I need info on a lot of stuff

With your stock sub frame, you will have fitment issues with CTS-V accessory drive with both the alternator and factory a/c compressor (though you may not even be using that)
The CTS-V drive puts the alternator low on the LH side and unless you either move the engine forward or notch the frame, it will hit
May consider selling off the CTS-v drive and going to a Corvette accessory drive, which moves the alternator up top on the LH side
the factory harness would have to be modified to be a "stand alone" setup
A complete drop out engine & trans is not "ready to drop in" by any means
Or buy a new aftermarket harness that fits your application
You can decide then if you want to run the DBW (drive by wire) throttle body or switch over the a cable style (verify if the pcm that you are using has the necessary "drivers" to convert to cable TB (IAC and TPS are different circuits) can have a harness made to your needs

You can use your stock small block frame stands, but choose a quality set of engine plates/ mounts, ones that "work" with corresponding parts and don't cause fitment issues
The CTS-V oil pan will not fit your stock sub either, look at either a Mast or Holley conversion oil pan kit, (just for example)
Again, a good quality set of headers, that "work" fit the engine plates, oil pan and also the steering box that you are using

You can use the new stock fuel tank that you bought, but not the best choice and will take some work/ cutting to fit a retro fit elec fuel pump module (ie Aeromotive Phantom), due to your stock tank isn't recessed very much on top to accommodate the fuel pump
Look at a Tanks Inc EFI tank setup, stock capacity, powder coated, electric pump and sender is approx $450

The T56 from the CTS-V has a totally different tail housing/ output shaft setup, it does not have the traditional slip yoke, it has a 3 bolt flange (similar to a Gen 5)
Check with some reputable trans shops and see what the cost is to convert the tail housing/ output shaft setup, compared to both what you already have into it, if it needs to be rebuilt (recommended) and the value of selling it off and picking up a rebuilt LS/ F-body style T56 (outright Stage 2 rebuilt unit is approx $2400 w/ bell)

speaking of the T56, you should look into a quality (see the pattern here!) crossmember designed for this conversion
I am personally running the SpeedTech/ATS T56 crossmember and love it
I was around back when they first came out and still is one of the best crossmembers out there, you can give the guys at SpeedTech a call and pick one up along with their clutch master cylinder firewall mounting bracket

drive shaft will have to be made after rest of drivetrain is in place

and you mentioned wiring, if it still is the original 45 yr old wiring, replace it! Don't skimp on this, it is a safety issue!
I recommend the "Classic Update" kit from American Autowire "AAW" a few vendors here are even running specials on the complete kit, it does the whole car (still need a stand alone engine harness/ pcm though)

Please let us know if you have any other questions

Jeff

Last edited by jwcarguy; 07-12-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Banned

Just a FYI on the CTS-V trans

I have personally dealt with this builder, great to deal with!

http://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-clas...l#post18318597
Old 07-13-2014, 02:40 PM

Is the ctsv/tremec combo a bad idea for the fbody? Is there a more swap friendly combo? Friend down the road picked up a 69 with 04 gto ls2/6speed is that a better combo?
Old 07-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is the ctsv/tremec combo a bad idea for the fbody? Is there a more swap friendly combo? Friend down the road picked up a 69 with 04 gto ls2/6speed is that a better combo?

The GTO accessory drive, still places the alternator down low
I wouldn't make just that the deciding factor if you come across a deal
You can always sell off the drive that you don't use and recoup some money to buy one that works better for your application
The GTO T56 is comparable to the f-body style, just different shifter setup
Old 07-13-2014, 05:15 PM

Ok, I will go ahead and get the ctsv combo and start a check list of things I need to do. I still am confused on a lot of things about this swap. Can you help with a check list of where to start? Like harness or motor mounts or fuel supply oil pan. Things I've ran into like a lot of questions come a lot of answers and opinions. Threads I've read on swap stuff some are old and company's have changed a lot of things so it's hard to get an idea of what works and won't work.
Sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about this and I thank you for your help.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok, I will go ahead and get the ctsv combo and start a check list of things I need to do. I still am confused on a lot of things about this swap. Can you help with a check list of where to start? Like harness or motor mounts or fuel supply oil pan. Things I've ran into like a lot of questions come a lot of answers and opinions. Threads I've read on swap stuff some are old and company's have changed a lot of things so it's hard to get an idea of what works and won't work.
Sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about this and I thank you for your help.
Not a problem

You should set a budget to stick with (written out or spreadsheet works)

Many people have a "ballpark" budget and dont keep track of items, due to them seeing something "new and shiny" and they have to have it, but then they overspend when it is not needed or warranted, then fall short on having the funds to move forward and get key parts for their build!

Have to stay focused and ask alot of questions if unsure

Just because it is posted on the internet, doesn't make it true / correct
Even if posted by a "shop" ??

This site is better than others for that, but I have seen where a "shop" will post how to do a task and it is totally incorrect, unsafe or a hack job!

I have had people over to my place showing the work that a "shop" did on thier LS swap, best I can say to them is, "well they go it in the car"???
(unsafe wiring, fuel system, engine mounting,incorrect driveline angles etc, etc)

Do your homework/ research!

there is a lot of quality people, shop owners and vendors/ manufacturers here that are willing to help
Old 07-14-2014, 04:12 AM

Check out this book. I plan on doing the swap in future so i bought this to read through.