User Name
Password

Old 07-31-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Hi Rick. From the SPI website:

Self-etching epoxy primer doesn't require the use of an acid-etch primer

Don
Don it's just the wording they have chosen to use although I couldn't find that wording here is what I found on their web site. Not trying to pick or hate just trying let anyone reading know the difference between the different products and how they work.

Uses for SPI Epoxy:
SPI Epoxy is one of the finest available and it’s great for use on any type of metal or aluminum if properly sanded and cleaned. This epoxy eliminates the need for an acid- etch primer. Use this epoxy on bare fiberglass or SMC before applying body fillers or 2K primers for best long-term results.

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 08-01-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick D View Post
Don it's just the wording they have chosen to use although I couldn't find that wording here is what I found on their web site. Not trying to pick or hate just trying let anyone reading know the difference between the different products and how they work.

Uses for SPI Epoxy:
SPI Epoxy is one of the finest available and it’s great for use on any type of metal or aluminum if properly sanded and cleaned. This epoxy eliminates the need for an acid- etch primer. Use this epoxy on bare fiberglass or SMC before applying body fillers or 2K primers for best long-term results.
OK, I am going to ask Barry, the owner of SPI. Will let you know what he says. I think you are confusing self-etch with acid-etch. They are different as near as I can tell but I am far from an expert.

Here is the link: http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com...y%20Primer.htm

Don

Last edited by dhutton; 08-01-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
OK, I am going to ask Barry, the owner of SPI. Will let you know what he says. I think you are confusing self-etch with acid-etch. They are different as near as I can tell but I am far from an expert.

Here is the link: http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com...y%20Primer.htm

Don
Ok Don

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 08-01-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Ok Don
Hi Rick. Response I got when I asked SPI if their epoxy is self-etching:

Yes!

Feel free to shoot them an email on their tech line or even give Barry a call. Not trying to be a complete butthead here but I think it's important to make sure we are dealing with facts here.

Don
Old 08-01-2014, 04:58 PM

I'm good Don!!

Old 08-09-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Not sure on the amercoat 370 but as for Imron if your building a truck go for it and I mean a semi. Lol

Imron is very old technology and is more for the fleet industry.

What I will say is start with a paint system and use that system from start to finish!!! PPG, Axulta (the new name for DuPont) BASF, or "SIKKENS" The paint company's build the products to work together so trust them they know how to make their products work with each other. I see it all the time, your base coat didn't stick to my cheap clear? Really because my base coat is still on the car but "your" clear is not??

I would recommend Sikkens but any of the top company's will give you great results!!
I found a sikkens dealer in Montreal and you make me a doubt about top coat on the ppg 370.
Some of my structure will be not top coat, the floor will be shoot with Raptor liner and the body will be top coat with build primer.
I remeber that I sprayed one of my cars with sikkens base/clear and the finish was great.
Which sikkens primer do you suggest to me.

Ps. thank to taking time to help me, I appreciate
Old 08-09-2014, 05:05 PM

fyi, dont put raptor liner on top of acid primer,it will fail,ask me how i know.raptor works best on top of epoxy,i prefer ppg products, and it can be done ,wet on wet.sikkens is a great product,but if you stray from their procedures and directions,it will cost you,alot.i am a 30 yr painter and have used practically everything and find sikkens a bit touchy even for a pro and almost double the cost.like mentioned,i prefer ppg products from a price point and its simple to use and the results are great.never cheap out on paint and get the best you can afford for the results you want. just my 2 cents.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66fury View Post
fyi, dont put raptor liner on top of acid primer,it will fail,ask me how i know.raptor works best on top of epoxy,i prefer ppg products, and it can be done ,wet on wet.sikkens is a great product,but if you stray from their procedures and directions,it will cost you,alot.i am a 30 yr painter and have used practically everything and find sikkens a bit touchy even for a pro and almost double the cost.like mentioned,i prefer ppg products from a price point and its simple to use and the results are great.never cheap out on paint and get the best you can afford for the results you want. just my 2 cents.
so what ppg epoxy you suggest to me, its very confusing for me
Old 03-15-2015, 10:31 AM

Ive got an other alternative, proform primer, only for inside the panel but what I read about it is that primer dont contain isocyanate, im scared about the quality. But its pretty pretty cheap, 94$ for a gallon.