Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 10-06-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativefx View Post
With their engine mounts and crossmember I'm assuming the pre-fabbed tunnel would work. Did you have any issues with getting the carpet to fit due to the shape of the tunnel cover? I have a one piece carpet kit to install once i'm ready. I've had someone tell me they had to send the x member back because it didn't provide the correct angle for his Magnum. My installation does include a T56 Magnum so i'm almost certain a tunnel mod is necessary.
The tunnel box is fine, but would use something different if your not running a console. Its not designed to be pretty. They make 2 different crossmember heights so they may have sent the wrong one.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I'm almost certain with the Magnum I will need to modify the tunnel, which isn't a problem. How did you like the Chassisworks option and did everything go okay with installing it? What about getting your carpet to fit once it was installed? I realize the x member and engine mounts will dictate the driveline angle, but I want to make sure the correct tunnel mod is done to give me any room I need to adjust. From what i can tell, there are some differences in getting the right x member depending on the subframe your using?

thanks
Chassisworks was amazing. Very smooth fantastic piece. Every car in the shop getting a t56 will now use that tunnel. We have already used 2 of them. we will be doing another one soon and I'm sure plenty more. Use any crossmember and then shim the transmission crossmember up to get the correct angle.

Want to know something that everyone here forgot to tell you? No matter what you do 9 times out of 10 everything will have to be modified in some way or the other. There is no 100% this way or that way. Every car is different. STOP and I repeat STOP overthinking it.

Spend the $100, get the tunnel, install the tunnel.

Crossmember isn't isn't with angle. Thats easy to fix. The issue is where your exhaust will come in contact with the crossmember based on the headers you are using and how close you want the exhaust to the floor.

Notice the clearance.

crossmember surgery

the car. the shop also has a lsa 69, lsx376 magnuson, 572 69, and so on and so forth
Old 10-06-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
The tunnel box is fine, but would use something different if your not running a console. Its not designed to be pretty. They make 2 different crossmember heights so they may have sent the wrong one.
I'll have a TMI console I'll be installing, but one thing I noticed is it's not as wide as my factory console. I was wondering if they had different heights, but couldn't find anything on their site. I'll have to see if I can get the measurements and make sure it will cover. thanks for the info!
Old 10-06-2015, 11:16 PM

I hear what your saying Randy, I know I'll have to mod the tunnel. I'm sure we will have to mod something else as well which is why I'm trying to get as much info as possible before i go out and buy parts that won't work or will take significant modification to work. Your point about where the headers/exhaust will come into contact with the crossmember is exactly why I'm trying to figure out the whole "swap" (engine mounts, crossmember, tunnel mod, headers, exhaust etc.) even though my post was specifically asking about the tunnel mod. I just recall reading peoples comments about "what worked best" and I can't find it so I started this thread. What crossmember is that? It looks like you've done a lot of modding to fit. I think I need to figure out what exhaust size I need soon as well. thanks for your help and I'm sure it will seem easier once I get at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post
Chassisworks was amazing. Very smooth fantastic piece. Every car in the shop getting a t56 will now use that tunnel. We have already used 2 of them. we will be doing another one soon and I'm sure plenty more. Use any crossmember and then shim the transmission crossmember up to get the correct angle.

Want to know something that everyone here forgot to tell you? No matter what you do 9 times out of 10 everything will have to be modified in some way or the other. There is no 100% this way or that way. Every car is different. STOP and I repeat STOP overthinking it.

Crossmember isn't isn't with angle. Thats easy to fix. The issue is where your exhaust will come in contact with the crossmember based on the headers you are using and how close you want the exhaust to the floor.

Notice the clearance.

crossmember surgery

the car. the shop also has a lsa 69, lsx376 magnuson, 572 69, and so on and so forth
Old 10-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Geez you're overthinking this
Old 10-06-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post

Notice the clearance.

crossmember surgery

What size are those tires! Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Do you have a T56 Magnum, or a regular T56? I'm interested in looking at the Hooker system as well, but haven't been able to confirm if I can get the proper clearance and angle with their setup. If I remember right, the headers would also need to be modified to make room at the steering box? Not a deal breaker, but want to make sure I look at all my options.

thanks
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...ar-build/page4
I have a Magnum behind my Texas Speed LS3. I also used Hooker 1 7/8" headers. They don't have to be modified to clear my Lee 600 steering box, but the box has to be out to get the drivers header installed (at least I couldn't figure out how to wiggle it in there with the box on the sub). A header tube will have to be dimpled on each side to clear the Tru Turn tie rod ends if you go that route, nothing major though.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Used a Speedtech tunnel and it works great.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:01 PM

Was just about to post a thread about my magnum t56 in my 67 firebird and this just answered all my questions 👍🏼
Old 11-30-2015, 05:55 PM

I just ordered a tunnel from Billy @ B&B classics I will give an update when it shows up.

Rob