Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 10-26-2015, 09:00 PM

Default gmpp ls3 controller help

Well i just installed my harness today. Everything seems pretty simple. Now i have a few questions i hope you can all help me with. Attached is the instructions

http://paceperformance.com/attachment/117731-.pdf

1. It looks like the ecu controls the fan. How do i connect the two fans to the ecu? are relays already built in for this?

2. the harness connects to the engine coolant temp and oil pressure sensors. The vss connected into the t56 magnum also so how do i get the speedometer and rpm gauges to work? How do i hook them up to my gauges now? Gauges are autometer.

Any advice would be great.

Last edited by randy; 10-27-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:55 PM

I think i might have figured it out.

Oil pressure - Run a wire from the oil pressure gauge to the tan/white strip wire in the bulkhead connector which is position H. Run the ground from the gauge to the M bulkhead connector. I could actually just run one wire from the M bulkhead connector and use that for all of my grounds for my gauges correct?

tach - Run a wire from the gauge to the white wire on the bulkhead which is position C. would i need a ground for this?

Speedometer - Run a wire from the gauge to the brown wire on the bulkhead which is position D. Would i also need a ground for this?

Fuel pump - Looks like theres a wire coming from the fuse box labeled fuel pump according to the instructions. I will check tomorrow. If that is the case then all i have to do is extend that wire to the fuel pump.

Fan power - Looks like the same place the fuel pump line is theres another wire that says cooling fan and is also fused/ relayed. If thats the case running one wire to the front of the car won't be that bad. Maybe ill run that wire into the american autowire fuse panel so i can route it under the fender on the drivers side. What else would be needed to make the fans run?

Now what about coolant temp? Doesn't make sense that the harness is connected to the coolant temp sensor in the side of the block yet theres no where in the bulkhead connector to run a wire to for the gauges.

Last edited by randy; 10-26-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post

Oil pressure - Run a wire from the oil pressure gauge to the tan/white strip wire in the bulkhead connector which is position H. Run the ground from the gauge to the M bulkhead connector. I could actually just run one wire from the M bulkhead connector and use that for all of my grounds for my gauges correct?

tach - Run a wire from the gauge to the white wire on the bulkhead which is position C. would i need a ground for this?

Speedometer - Run a wire from the gauge to the brown wire on the bulkhead which is position D. Would i also need a ground for this?

Fuel pump - Looks like theres a wire coming from the fuse box labeled fuel pump according to the instructions. I will check tomorrow. If that is the case then all i have to do is extend that wire to the fuel pump.

Fan power - Looks like the same place the fuel pump line is theres another wire that says cooling fan and is also fused/ relayed. If thats the case running one wire to the front of the car won't be that bad. Maybe ill run that wire into the american autowire fuse panel so i can route it under the fender on the drivers side. What else would be needed to make the fans run?

Now what about coolant temp? Doesn't make sense that the harness is connected to the coolant temp sensor in the side of the block yet theres no where in the bulkhead connector to run a wire to for the gauges.
I think you have to add a second temp sender for your gauge. At least I have done that.

Don
Old 10-27-2015, 07:03 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

There is a bulkhead connector that has outputs for VSS, oil pressure and such. It is located near the fuse panel on the harness. Have you found that one?
Full of DSE and Holley parts
Old 10-27-2015, 07:26 AM

Here's what I'd do, in response to your questions.

Quote:

Oil pressure - Run a wire from the oil pressure gauge to the tan/white strip wire in the bulkhead connector which is position H. Run the ground from the gauge to the M bulkhead connector. I could actually just run one wire from the M bulkhead connector and use that for all of my grounds for my gauges correct?-Yes, or any ground points in the pass compartment

tach - Run a wire from the gauge to the white wire on the bulkhead which is position C. would i need a ground for this?-If your gauge calls for a ground, then yes.

Speedometer - Run a wire from the gauge to the brown wire on the bulkhead which is position D. Would i also need a ground for this? Same as tach.

Fan power - Looks like the same place the fuel pump line is theres another wire that says cooling fan and is also fused/ relayed. If thats the case running one wire to the front of the car won't be that bad. Maybe ill run that wire into the american autowire fuse panel so i can route it under the fender on the drivers side. What else would be needed to make the fans run?Ground to fan

Now what about coolant temp? Doesn't make sense that the harness is connected to the coolant temp sensor in the side of the block yet theres no where in the bulkhead connector to run a wire to for the gauges. Looks like you have to run a separate temp sender for the temp gauge. You can use the plug on pass side of head for this.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
Here's what I'd do, in response to your questions.
the passenger side head plug already has a coolant temp sensor in it that the ecu needs.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
the passenger side head plug already has a coolant temp sensor in it that the ecu needs.
Then you need to install one on the driver's side for your gauge. The sender for the ECM is not likely to be compatible with your gauge anyway. Two senders are generally needed. One should come with your gauge. Adaptors are available to allow you to install the gauge sender in the LS head.

Don
Old 10-28-2015, 10:10 PM

Collected info>>>>>

- Hook the vss output wire ( brown ) from the bulkhead to the speedometer signal wire
- Hook the tach ( white ) from the bulkhead to the gauge tach signal wire
- Hook the Oil pressure ( Tan/white ) from the bulkhead to the gauges signal wire
- For the water temperature, there is a port located on the right side (passenger side) of the engine, in the cylinder head, past the last exhaust port (closest to the firewall / flywheel). There is a plug threaded in this location, that can be removed. This threaded in plug will either require an 8mm Allen Wrench, or a T52 Torx bit. There will be no noticeable difference in temperature reading when using the shorter sender. The 2277 adapter requires a 3/4" wrench, and the 2259 sender requires a 12mm wrench. Be careful to only tighten the adapter into the head until the crush washer is flattened. Do not over tighten. This is for the short sweep water temp guage
- for the voltmeter just hook up the ignition wire from the gauge harness to the gauge
- Samoco unit should be used for the reverse lockout solenoid. You could run it off of the brake pedal but some people have stated some issues. Link to the samoco unit is http://www.wirebarn.com/T56--TR6060-...ule_p_470.html
- The for fuel gauge run ......
Old 10-29-2015, 07:59 AM

Thumbs up

If you add a pin to the PCM plug for the VSS it will work like it did from the factory. Buy a reverse lockout plug (off of EBAY), wire it IGN power on one side and add a pin from the PCM for the other. I bought a few pre crimped wires (with PCM ends already crimped on from Speartech. Works great. You have to have the VSS plugged in to the trans for it to work though. The PCM provides the ground signal. PCM connector #3 pin 8.

http://www.pcmofnc.com/install/E67%20Pin%20Install.pdf

Last edited by 130fe; 10-29-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:17 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Then you need to install one on the driver's side for your gauge. The sender for the ECM is not likely to be compatible with your gauge anyway. Two senders are generally needed. One should come with your gauge. Adaptors are available to allow you to install the gauge sender in the LS head.

Don
Yeah, I am used the VHX gauges on my swap. I used the Oil pressure wire coming from the bulkhead connector and had to use the CAN BUS setting to get the oil pressure signal for it to work correctly.