Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 05-20-2016, 09:05 PM

Default which LS3 to go with?

I am new to the LS swap and am wondering if it's better to buy the 430hp version and change the cam, springs etc.. for more power? or do I just buy the 525hp version and be done with it? which is more cost effective? what should I know?

I appreciate any advise or thoughts this...

Steve
67 Camaro RS

66 Chevelle (in progress)
Old 05-20-2016, 10:04 PM

My opinion on this is that you shouldn't buy a crate motor and then open it up and modify it. Go with either the 480 or 525 and be done with it. If you are going to modify a motor, pick up an LS2 put the cam in it and new heads. I personally don't have the skills to build a motor myself and don't have an engine builder that I trust, so I felt better with a create motor.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:06 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I think there's some merit to the logic in the statement above. That said, it's an intriguing question that I'm curious about as well. Seems like it would make sense to drive a 480hp version for a few years (use up the warranty) and see what you think. If the flat torque curve of that LS engine isn't enough as it comes from GMPP, tweak it later and there's really no significant money lost.

By significant I mean that you're spending 11k+ on an LS swap, what's another $800 2 years later if you decide you gotta have another 40-60hp. These cars are never really done right?

Last edited by JKnight; 05-21-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:49 AM

Default crate motor

I can def understand not wanting to tear into a new motor. Buying the 430 and swapping the cam & springs is the best bang for the buck. And the power difference is significant. In most situations you'll have to change the oil pan anyway. Its a much easier and cleaner job to change the cam & springs while the motor is out... Really only need to pull the balancer, timing cover, cam sprocket, rockers & valve springs. If you'd have to pay someone to do this, the crate 525 is best choice. There is the issue with tuning, however. The crate motors come ready to go if you buy the ecm & harness. Everyone's situation is going to be different. I was just about to buy a 430 crate, and I decided to look around for some low mileage pullouts from reputable places. I found one complete with harness, computer, accessories, all sensors, etc. I sold everything I didnt use, sent the heads to texas speed to be cnc'd, and bought one of their cam kits. It worked out well, and I enjoy doing the work. I have a good local tuner which also helps. Scott
Old 05-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Banned

Steve,

It is best to describe your "comfort level" in your skills and/ or acess to people with skills to do any engine work, etc

I always tell people to ask themselves, what are your goals and driving expectations with the car, as well as budget?

Those two things, basically answer your question

If you are limited on skills, tools or people to do the added work, stick with a crate engine option
Or look into the many builders that can build you a engine to fit your needs
you can choose between Gen III or Gen IV setups and pcm's (effects some harness/ pcm, tuning prices)
examples (not promoting, just a fyi)
http://www.thompsonmotorsports.net/p...roducts_id=206
http://www.thompsonmotorsports.net/p...roducts_id=207

As mentioned earlier, if the new engine warranty is a main factor, then cracking the engine open to install a larger cam is of the table, due to voiding the warranty
Also, look into if even swapping the crate engine oil pan, effects warranty??
Not sure on that

Also, check with some tuners and find out how adaptable the GMPP pcm/ harness setup is to engine mods?
some earlier versions were only good for the GM configuration

Plus, there are so many other aftermarket companies selling the pcm & harnesses (some cheaper than GMPP setup) and can get up up and running with a "base/ mail order" tune, then either dyno tune or remotely with a setup like EFI Live Autocal, etc

Hope this helps
Jeff
Old 05-21-2016, 04:48 PM

If you look on Corvetteforum you can often find LS7 pullouts for about the same price as a crate LS3. The main issue with the engines is the valve guides can wear prematurely from the factory so the heads should have either had that done... or will need it done. 20% more cubic inches does wonders for power output.... namely torque.

The oiling system can be converted to wetsump via a spacer and different oil pump/pan. Add a bigger cam and MSD Atomic intake/headers/tune and gains of 100rwhp+ are achievable.

That being said I'm ordering a crate 430hp LS3 for a customer as he wants a warranty and gets used to the car.... before going nuts on it

1993 Mazda FD RX-7, built LS7, T56 Magnum, Holley HP, Davis Tech TC, 8.8" 3.73 Cobra IRS diff, DSS axles, Ohlins coilovers, big brakes.
CCW 18x11 front 315/30/18's and 18x12.5 rear on 335/30/18 RA1's, 2850lbs
10.31@137mph 165mph Shift-Sector 1/2 mile speed
441ci AllPro headed motor and 200lb weigh reduction in the works....
Old 05-21-2016, 05:46 PM

Thanks for all the thoughts and advise. food for thought for sure, I'm not really afraid to work on the motor or to worried about the warranty either. Just wondering if it was really worth it to start with the lesser hp motor and upgrade it. I'm leaning towards just going with 525hp motor and be done with it, most likely.

Steve
67 Camaro RS

Old 05-21-2016, 05:55 PM

I went with the 480hp version. More than enough power, warranty, great cam sound, and sounds mean as hell.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post
I went with the 480hp version. More than enough power, warranty, great cam sound, and sounds mean as hell.
That's what I like to hear

Steve
67 Camaro RS

Old 05-22-2016, 07:37 AM

The 525 is a good engine that has a cam that will be easy on the valvetrain. Keep in mind you'll pay $1,400 dollars for a cam and valve springs buying the 525 vs the 430, unless you don't want to mess with changing the cam.