Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 08-13-2016, 10:43 AM

Default 67 Camaro Frame Mounts

Hey guys,
When you have done your ls swaps on a 67 camaro, what is the best frame mount to use? Would it be small block or big block frame mounts? I am building a ls7 for my car with a wet sump conversion with a champs oil pan that is the same as the speedtech one. I also have the Ridetech with the Tru Turn front suspension. Thanks guys!
Old 08-13-2016, 02:19 PM

Default frame mounts

I don't know if this is going to help, but the Holley kit seems to get high reviews from guys. I just purchased their frame mounts also. Nice pieces. You have to use Clam shell mounts though. Anchor part# 2292.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:00 PM

If you have already bought your headers, oil pan, engine swap plates etc., and you are using a stock subframe, you'll want the short/wide small block frame stands. If not, I'd suggest using all the holley parts that go together as mentioned above. Scott
Old 08-14-2016, 01:54 PM

i have the holley system and it works good. the new long tubes work with the tru turn system also. dont know if the champ pan works with there mounts. or you could use the speed tech mounts and headers.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. Right now I have big block frame mounts installed on the stock subframe. I have my original small block frame mounts still as well. Just wasn't sure if I needed to swap them out for the small block. I can't use the holley oil pan. Any stroke over 3.62 doesn't have clearance through the holley pan. The LS7 has a 4.0 stroke and if I go with a 454 it has a 4.125 stroke. The Champs pan will clear it though. Talking about the Holley pan, even though they claim it clears the tru turn, there are some on pro-touring.com that have had to modify the holley pan to clear the tru turn.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:05 PM

I have run the old 302-1 holley pan with no issues on the tru turn. Also, the Mast pan has more clearance than the old 302-1 holley pan. If using the 1st gen frame stands, the mast pan is a great choice if it would clear the stroke. As far as the stroker, neither holley pan will clear? I just want to know for future reference. I have used the 98-02 GM Fbody pan on an LS2 stroker. I just did some very minor clearancing on it just to be safe. Kind of puts you in a tough spot. Qiute a few strokers out there, just need to see which swap pans clear and select parts from there i guess
Old 08-14-2016, 09:41 PM

Yeah, I talked to Holley on the phone and they said that none of their pans would clear larger than a 3.62 stroke. I'm planning on building a 427 or a 454 with a ls2 erl block. So my stroke will either be 4.0 with the 427 or 4.125 with the 454. The only difference I can find is that there are not near as many piston options with the 454 as the 427, but the cost of building it is about the same. Take a look at the champs oil pans as they are the same thing as autokraft, just half the price. They will clear a 4.25 stroke without modification and it looks to have the most clearance out of all the oil pans. I believe the oil capacity is 5.5 quarts with one. This I'm copying from a post on pro-touring about a combo that worked. However, he never stated which frame mounts he used.

I using Speed and Performance mounts, Autokraft oil pan, Speedtech trans crossmember and Stainless works headers. I am also using an AGR 12-1 steering box and complete Ridetech front and back (tru turn, SA coil overs and muscle bar). Everything fits without issue in the stock subframe. The headers are approx 1/2" below the subframe. No issues in 2500 street miles so far.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:03 PM

the mast pan should clear a 4" stroke crankshaft. it also has more room for the tru turn setup. the holley -1 clears a 4 stroke but the -2 does not. to get the -2 to clear you have to mod the front of the pan like

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...ts-info-9.html

post 163

a autokraft pan might clear the holley setup but i have not read about anyone using it with there kit. you could try it. to me it looks like it would work
Old 12-16-2016, 04:24 PM

Default Drive line angles

I'm just curious what kind of drive line angles you guys are ending up with? Stock frame stands, small block? Big block? Holley? I have read so much, about all the great products and haven't seen any data. Just talk. Tunnel cut or not? Engine forward or back? I did't want to cut the tunnel, and could not get a reasonable engine angle with the stock frame stands. Others said they had no problem... but no numbers, which makes me thing there are a lot of vibrating first gen Camaros driving around.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleyellar View Post
I'm just curious what kind of drive line angles you guys are ending up with? Stock frame stands, small block? Big block? Holley? I have read so much, about all the great products and haven't seen any data. Just talk. Tunnel cut or not? Engine forward or back? I did't want to cut the tunnel, and could not get a reasonable engine angle with the stock frame stands. Others said they had no problem... but no numbers, which makes me thing there are a lot of vibrating first gen Camaros driving around.
3 or 3.5 degrees with the Holley. Holley nailed it. T56 in a 1st Gen Camaro, Tunnel cut!!!