Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 12-15-2006, 08:19 PM

Default DSE quadra link vs. leaf springs

Hello all,

I have a question about Detroit Speed's quadra link system. I'm building a '69 Camaro resto-rod, and I'm debating whether to install DSE's quadra link rear end vs. modern leaf springs. My main concern with this car is drivability - I'm don't really care about originality. (The car is a plain-jane 307, so I don't feel too guilty about hacking it apart and installing modern parts.)

I've heard conflicting reports about just how good DSE's rear end is. A couple of people told me that it significantly increases the unsprung weight and actually degrades the handling characteristics. I saw a '70 Chevelle with some really funky composite leaf springs; the owner told me they weigh about 80% less than steel leaf springs and the car handles like a dream (he also had a modern front suspension, but I'm doing that anyway).

Like I said, the major concern in drivability. I'm going to install a fairly high horsepower engine (my uncle is helping me build a 427 aluminum small block, and it should turn 500 hp when it's done). Any one have any advice/recommendations?

Cheers,
John.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:53 PM

Well the only thing I've ever heard is that the Quadra Link is far better than even DSE's leafs. It's more adjustable and easier to tune. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't add any weight...after all it's only a few brackets and 5 links!

I have a AME parallel 4-bar and other than the 2x4 x-member that I added (DSE doesn't use one) the suspension itself, including the coilovers, is far lighter than the leaf sprung suspension.

If your budget and skills allow I would HIGHLY recommend going with the QL!

What front suspension do you have planned? You might consider DSE so the front is matched to the rear suspension.

I think the Chevelle you are talking about had VBP on it...Mark Stielow had them on one of the red cars.

Last edited by awr68; 12-15-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:23 PM

The DSE Qlink is better than leafs. But, What's the budget and how much work do you want to do to your car (meaning- how long do you want to see your car up on jackstands?)...Do you intend to mini-tub the car?

There is a vast difference in the amount of work between the two options you are considering...

Project update thread here:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=12743

My Lateral-G Page

My Shop Build:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310
Old 12-16-2006, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awr68
Well the only thing I've ever heard is that the Quadra Link is far better than even DSE's leafs.
Well... that isnt saying too much. There is nothing special about DSE's leafsprings to begin with, afterall they are mere and simple lowering springs. A cutom built leaf can make a world of difference and it can even keep up with all of the new fangeled link systems if executed correctly. The correct leaf design and build with a REAL shock will give a link system a run for its money any day. Its really just coming down to finding the guy who knows about leafs, who has a builder that can follow a spring print to the T. If you are interested, let me know... I think I can source a guy for you.

The composite leaf stuff is really the FNG on the block concerning performance applications. But, CarlC (a member here) has done this conversion with a bunch of really well thought-out modifications and tricks to make them even better. This would also be something to do your homework on, as it is a proven set-up... (Carl flogs his 68 on open track days) so there is something to back it up.

In a call for the subject of weight, if you use a 9" the weight difference between leaf or link, is just about a wash. Unless you go with an alloy third member, alloy pinion support, a lightened gearset, gun drilled axles and something that isnt a boat anchor in weight like the "Fab9" housing.

BUT, if you consider a link type rear end, I believe and can pretty much assure you that the Lateral Dynamics 3-link is better mechanically and I believe it is lighter than the DSE Quadralink. The WATTS and link mounts are sprung weight, so that cuts down a little of the sprung/unsprung issue. Not to mention its really the only competitor to a properly executed leaf set-up... or maybe even the new bag systems that are coming out from ART.

Whatever you do, take your time, do your homework and do it right.... dont just settle for some band-aid suspension because all the "cool kids" are doing it.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:42 AM

Cool, thanks for the replies so far!

I've been reading up on the Lateral dynamics 3-link, and it sounds pretty sweet. I have plenty of time to figure the suspension thing out, luckily, since I have no deadlines, and I'm constantly running short on cash (although hopefully my Christmas bonus will change that!).

Based on what I've read tonight, I think the 3-link is the way to go. I don't want to run an air system, although I admit I'm against them mostly because I see them on rice racers way too much. The composite leafs are also a possibility, but, as you said, you need the right guy to work with them... and I'm not that guy, nor is my uncle (my partner in crime on this project). (He's more of a dragster guy than a G-machine guy.) I like the 3-link thing because my uncle and I can definitely install it with our current skill sets.

Cheers.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicane
Well... that isnt saying too much. There is nothing special about DSE's leafsprings to begin with, afterall they are mere and simple lowering springs.
That may be true, but I have heard that people have the best/consistant results with them, unlike some others. And I was trying to do a direct comparison within one company...ya know the QL vs. DSE lowering springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicane
Whatever you do, take your time, do your homework and do it right.... dont just settle for some band-aid suspension because all the "cool kids" are doing it.
Well I agree the 3-link is the way to go if you have the funds, which most guys don't. I feel DSE's QL is affordable and better than leafs...sorry if you don't agree and consider it a band-aid....remember we all can have our own opinions.

I get the feeling, but I don't know for sure, that this guy isn't loaded and is looking for the best suspension that he can afford, and my first coment was that if funds are there, the QL is a great design and will work great. I didn't even consider LD's 3-link since he didn't mention it so I figure it cost too much...clearly I was wrong.

He's a big boy and can spend his own money...I'm out!!
Old 12-16-2006, 03:38 AM

Quote:
I was trying to do a direct comparison within one company...ya know the QL vs. DSE lowering springs.
Yeah... I didnt really keep it on the narrow considering that he only asked about the DSE products alone. I just wasnt aware if he had not considered other options as of yet... I probably should have asked, before leaning to far in other directions.

Quote:
I feel DSE's QL is affordable and better than leafs...sorry if you don't agree and consider it a band-aid....remember we all can have our own opinions.
Well... better than the leafs DSE has to offer, at least.

No need to be sorry about anything... I just dont bandwagon a product or a company just because of the majority of the 'keep up with the Jones'. If someone has a better widget for near the same cost (which the lat D stuff is in the end) but does many things better... why not ?? Broke or monitarily swimming in pools of the almighty dollar, I would still want to get the most for my hard earned cash'ola... and for the dollar spent, in my opinion... it is better spent on the LD 3-link. Without question.

But like I said, its just my opinion... and all this is coming from a leaf spring cat. Leafs work phenomenal, even in contrast to that of the link type rear suspensions, if you actually understand and have working knowledge of the kinematics envolved in all three systems. That is where my opinion lies.

There is design and there is execution. Most get one of those just good enough... and others get them both. Baindaid or not.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:48 AM

Thanks for keeping it civil....as always it good talking with ya!!

I guess we really should ask how he plans to use the car. If he has no future plans for the track, auto-x, or care about the cool factor of a c/o based suspension then I would save the money and go with leafs....plus it speeds along the build time a little and they work.

For the record, if I was to do my car again I'm sure I would do the LG 3-link....but I did my suspension years ago and I have no interest in starting over at this point ....
Old 12-16-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
....but I did my suspension years ago and I have no interest in starting over at this point ....
I hear ya one that one, I hate doing ^ expensive things twice.

Last edited by chicane; 12-16-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:16 AM

I remember Jason saying after driving FUEL with the quadra link, he was never going to build another Camaro with Leafs. That says a lot to me. I curently have DSE 3 in springs and do like them, but I would love to install eather a LD 3 link or Quadra Link. LD first but it is so darn expensive.