Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-19-2019, 07:11 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Congrats to all involved! The car sounds great and look great. Good luck with all the testing and tuning coming up.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 03-20-2019, 12:11 AM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrapovic View Post
Wow. Car looks and sounds great! I'm guessing you answered this in a previous post but what made you give the previous builder a shot?
I’m not sure I understand your question. Speedtech Performance wasn’t the “previous builder” — they were my original choice to build the car - as they were listed as one of three builders in the catalog.... but Sutton was offering so little $$ to do the work and they weren’t willing to do it for that — and frankly — more importantly they didn’t have the time at that time.....

I don’t think Sutton EVER wanted anyone other than HIS chosen builder (his buddy Randy at One Off Customs)..... and purposely lowballed the amount he was willing to pay a real shop — knowing they’d turn it down.

I’ve been friends with Speedtech (Blake - Jay and Roger) for a very long time... I know them - I trust them - they do great work - they’re racers - fabricators - car builders - and gearheads. I knew they could fix the pile of crap that Sutton had built - so BINGO - that’s where the car went.

Hope that answers the question?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
BMR Sales (03-20-2019), FETorino (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:47 PM

Default On track

This was nothing more than 4 laps — thank you OPTIMA — to see if the car will run and turn - Jay Weir was short shifting and just generally breaking in the Hoosiers and seeing if brakes work etc. So super slow and careful — but still fun to see and hear the reborn POS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
Che70velle (03-24-2019), DBasher (03-20-2019), WILWAXU (03-21-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:57 PM

Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,342 Posts

“Beauty from ashes”

Skip
Old 03-20-2019, 05:12 PM

Your post answered my question. I have several parts from speedtech and found them to be excellent. I had never heard of sutton. Glad to hear the car went to a qualified builder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I’m not sure I understand your question. Speedtech Performance wasn’t the “previous builder” — they were my original choice to build the car - as they were listed as one of three builders in the catalog.... but Sutton was offering so little $$ to do the work and they weren’t willing to do it for that — and frankly — more importantly they didn’t have the time at that time.....

I don’t think Sutton EVER wanted anyone other than HIS chosen builder (his buddy Randy at One Off Customs)..... and purposely lowballed the amount he was willing to pay a real shop — knowing they’d turn it down.

I’ve been friends with Speedtech (Blake - Jay and Roger) for a very long time... I know them - I trust them - they do great work - they’re racers - fabricators - car builders - and gearheads. I knew they could fix the pile of crap that Sutton had built - so BINGO - that’s where the car went.

Hope that answers the question?
Old 03-20-2019, 05:56 PM

I know nothing about sequential gear box's. So does it blip the throttle when down shifting or does it just go in? From the sound in the video I can't tell.

Last edited by ur-n-8; 03-20-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur-n-8 View Post
I know nothing about sequential gear box's. So does it blip the throttle when down shifting or does it just go in? From the sound in the video I can't tell.

There is programmable “auto blip” — in the Holley system — or you can add (as we did) the auto blip box (easier). In fact — after the test drive - we discussed the auto blip needs to be “more” — and that’s all just programming.

Mostly what you’re trying to accomplish is to “unload” the gearbox..... Same thing I do with my Jerico in the ‘65 - it’s just a momentary “lift” of the throttle... to unload it and she slides right in. It’s a super fast movement and doesn’t involve the clutch at all on upshifts.... but with a Jerico, I do heel and toe and use the clutch on downshifts. Some guys don’t but I found it upset the car (probably crappy driving on my part) so I use the clutch.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Well — Jimi Day graciously allowed us to put the car on track at the end of their event today at USCA Las Vegas.....

This was not an effort to make lap times - it was just a lucky “get a couple laps” to see if the cooling system changes “work” (the same exact C&R radiator that Sutton blamed for the cooling issues) — and oiling system (same exact A.R.E dry sump but with the proper sized tank - and plumbed CORRECTLY) would work etc.....

So Speedtech (Jay Weir) took it out for 4 laps — a couple laps to warm up - get some heat in the tires - and let Jay actually drive a car he’s only just sat in....

3rd lap he did a 1:48 — only posting that because people will ask.

The shocks (JRi’s) will now come off and be shipeed to JJ Furillo for the very last undoing of the Ron Sutton sour sauce to be removed....

Looks and sounds fantastic!
The Following User Says Thank You to TimeWarpF100 For This Useful Post:
GregWeld (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
There is programmable “auto blip” — in the Holley system — or you can add (as we did) the auto blip box (easier). In fact — after the test drive - we discussed the auto blip needs to be “more” — and that’s all just programming.

Mostly what you’re trying to accomplish is to “unload” the gearbox..... Same thing I do with my Jerico in the ‘65 - it’s just a momentary “lift” of the throttle... to unload it and she slides right in. It’s a super fast movement and doesn’t involve the clutch at all on upshifts.... but with a Jerico, I do heel and toe and use the clutch on downshifts. Some guys don’t but I found it upset the car (probably crappy driving on my part) so I use the clutch.

Greg,
Can you give a bit more information on the "auto blip box" is that a separate add on device? Is that the one sold by Tractive Technology out of Phoenix?
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"
Old 03-21-2019, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the video Greg and Blake.
GregWeld (03-21-2019)