Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 04-16-2006, 06:35 PM

Default ArtWork Page

Hiya all
We have alot of Hi Class Stylists/Designers "they have so many names" visionaries i call them here at Lat-G there work is just beyond amazing imo
What about a Forum page?
i think thatll be just awsome
Old 04-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Administrator

That's something that I've been considering - having a designated subsection just for art. Renderings, prints, posters, scale models, diecasts, etc. It would probably be in the off-topic section.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 04-17-2006, 11:15 PM

I'd like to thank you again Scott for putting this page up for all of us artists and designers!!!

I think it's great to see a bunch of talented guys and their stuff put together, it can be inspiring atleast I think so. One thing I learned from being in school learning to design cars, or working in a design studio my last two jobs with other designers and talent is that it has a couple benefits. One, I think seeing other talented guys and their artwork helps inspire everybody and get you pumped up to see other great ideas and techniques. Secondly I think it can push you to strive to improve and come up with new ways to style, design, and/or illustrate. That's some of what I miss from school - workin' in the shop after hours - sketchin', buildin' models, drinkin' large amounts of caffinated drinks, and just plain hangin' out with other car guys.
I think the new artwork page is a great addition along with many other aspects of Lateral-g.net that give that feeling of hangin' out in the shop, sharing our talents, ideas, and even accomplishments.

Thanks for that too Scott!
John
Old 04-18-2006, 07:29 AM

I agree with John... there's something inspiring about seeing your work posted for all to enjoy... and it's even better to have it surrounded by the work of others who have so much talent and skill... It gets your mind racing to try new things, look at things differently, and just strive to be even better at what you do. (seeing McBride's work makes me strive for new levels of realism and cleanliness...)
Add to that a community filled with some of the greatest people and most talented builders, and you have a combination that leads to second and third mortgages, coffee shortages.... and a chance to perhaps share some ideas to inspire someone who is knee-deep in a project and getting down about it, or just communicate with an experienced builder on just how feasable an idea might be to bring to reality (or not bring to reality -- I know I've sketched a few of those in my time!)
Thanks again, Scott for creating the Artwork pages... it's yet another one of those ingredients that makes this community so great.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:06 AM

Well, I guess I should chime in as well. I sorta hesitated to comment on a new "designer's forum" (aside from the current Artwork Gallery page) because I wanted to see what some of the others had to say first before I said something dumb.

As usual, John and I (and now Brian) are pretty much on the same page with regards to showcasing work and bouncing ideas off other designers. With the design experience I have, including school, it is extremely inspiring to see other outstanding work. I personally enjoy staring at all the other artwork and disecting how a particular effect was done or a new technique was executed. That is the single best way to learn IMO. I think it's particularly helpful because public venues and magazines are entirely how I learned. I never went to school for transportation design and the drawing classes I had in college never went into any depth. I copied renderings in mags and books since I was a kid. The problem is that you're never satisfied with your own work, I always try to make the next rendering better than the last.

Though it's unavoidable that we are "competing" for work to a point, our skills and rendering style would become stale if unchallenged. The first thing I want to do when I see someone's work in a magazine is get on the drawing board and crank out renderings.

Once again Scott, I can't thank you enough for providing this "talking shop" environment for us designers, as well as an open dialog with the craftsmen who build cars and the owners and enthusiasts who dream about them.

Sorry for the rant.

Thanks Scott,

Ben

Hermance Design
My Facebook
Old 04-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGMachine
...drinkin' large amounts of caffinated drinks
John
Ah Ha. The real reason you guys design such cool cars slipped. Your secret is now out. Gonna have to go get about 400 cases of Jolt Cola and Full Throttle then actually try to sit in one place while sketching...
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/...lownbbchigh.wmv
Project Rides:
1968 Firebird - Blown 540
1987 Blazer 4x4 - Blown 355
2007 Magnum
2010 Camaro SS - LSX Twin Turbo
Old 04-18-2006, 10:59 AM

SHHHHH don't tell anyone! Although most of the linework would look like it was done by a crack addict if you drink too much. Thank God for ellipse guides and ship curves!

Hermance Design
My Facebook
Old 04-18-2006, 11:47 AM

LOL! Hey I completely bypass the coffee mug - I just run a water line straight into the coffee maker then an I.V. out the top of the pot and into my arm. No time to waste pouring the coffee or getting a mug outta the cabinet. Just sharing some "design techniques" with you guys!

John
Old 04-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Lateral-G Supporting Vendor

Thanks Scott and thanks to Evan/CustomCam for coming up with the idea! This is just one more thing that helps Lateral-g rise above! I'm stoked to be in such good company in a place where there is so much style and emphasis on talent.
I am proud to be in such great company and will do my best to keep the site well decorated and look forward to seeing all the other great input from my partners in crime!
Thanks for the support, Scott and I totally echo what John, Brian, and Ben all said!