Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > The Muscle Car Place Weekly Podcast
User Name
Password

Old 10-08-2020, 08:02 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Default TMCP #443: Tyler Gibson’s Secrets About His Tail Wagging Autocross Dominating Scout II; Pro-Touring

This week I spoke to Tyler Gibson, someone I have interacted with for a decade at different Good Guys autocross events…but have never really met. I’ve watched he and his sister utterly dominate while running their Scout II, and couldn’t get over how it was always dialed into the track while simultaneously being aimed with the nose and steered with the tail. I love Tyler’s driving style as well (all out) and decided it was finally time to learn how they’ve done it! It turns out….the car events were (and are) just a chance for the family to hang out together.

The Scout in it’s original form – an open fendered and chopped Chevy truck!
Tyler and his family are from Missouri, and he and his father have a long history of working on cars together. When it came time for Tyler to be able to drive at events they decided to build something fun, affordable, and different; a truck! A mid 1980’s S-10 chassis was selected as a base and then made vintage chopping and channeling an old 40’s era Chevy truck truck onto the chassis of a mid 80’s S-10. They got it done just in time to make it to the event and then learned a ton once they got there.

They were defiantly more prepared the next year and started moving up and getting faster. Later on the rules changed to be more closed wheel than open so they had to modify and add rear fenders. Eventually the rules got so tight on modified bodies that they had to ditch the whole 40’s look altogether. That’s when the Scout body came into play.

-Check It Out! http://www.themusclecarplace.com/pod...arry-callahan/