Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 02-26-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJim View Post
Scott
Thanks for the thorough explanation. Our original Blackjack was tested and didn't leak but over time as design changed to improve shift feel we started getting feed back of fluid weeping up through the shifter. Our re-engineered design incorporates a seal that will hold up even when power washed from the gear below. Anybody who owns one of the affected shifters can call me to discuss a replacement.
Jim Goodlad

Hurst Driveline Conversions
www.hurst-drivelines.com.
760-859-6635 Tech Department
[email protected]
"Specializing in Tremec TKO & T56 Magnum overdrive conversion kits".
#1 Tremec Elite Distributor!
#1 In Customer Service and Support!
Jim!

Welcome to Lat-g! Really glad to see you join the fold.

Lat-g'rs - Jim and I have had many conversations over the last couple of years, they began with researching my auto to T56 Mag conversion kit options and installation details. In all my years of customer service business he ranks highly in my book as one of the real good guys no matter the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
That wasn't my observation. I had to stop by the drug store and buy maxi-pads to keep the car from pouring fluid all over the exhaust with the shifter in the rear position. And that was with a seal on the bottom. (one generation newer than the WL pictures above).

I'm hearing there is a newer/better seal on the way for the White Lightning, which would be their 3rd seal design trying to fix this problem.
Did you use the one's with wings? Obviously the level of mechanical fit varies and the seal was basically worthless. Did you fill the trans level to the bottom of the fill plug hole? I've seen T56 specs that call for 4 qts. Mine will only take 3.4 qts. on level ground with 2.5* drivetrain angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chr2002ca View Post
Most creative explanation for standing at the checkout line with maxi-pads that I've seen yet.
Very Macgyverish!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 PM

Jim,

I also welcome you to the site. Already great to have manufacturer representatives here to help us out!

Regarding my question below, any insight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
I unfortunately read somewhere that they don't sell them independently though, only as part of a kit. Do you know if that is true or not?
Thanx!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 PM

Question

Are the leaking issues isolated to the T56 WL or is the same problem occurring in the WL for the TKO-600?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69znc View Post
Are the leaking issues isolated to the T56 WL or is the same problem occurring in the WL for the TKO-600?
To the best of my knowledge T56 based issues, associated with the shifter when mounted in the forward position being located over the gear. It's my understanding the original shifters where designed for TKO's then they adapted the design to the T56 without adding proper internal sealing. In the rear position they weep, in the forward position they cry.

T56 Magnum:

I don't think the WL or Hurst are a problem on the TKO, but they may weep a little as that's how the shifter pivot ball is lubricated.

Hopefully someone with first-hand TKO experience will respond.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:47 PM

Thanks Sieg. I have been running mine for a few months now and have not had an issue. Just did not know if I should anticipate one!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 PM

Here are a few pics of the White Lightning shifter design progression. Earliest to most recent from left to right:

It is noteworthy that the WL #3 is a fair bit taller than #2 which was taller than #1. This may be insignificant but I was already thinking that my shifter stick is pretty long. When I get to the point that all I have to complain about is placement of the shifter ball I will gladly accept the challenge to correct that issue.

[/URL]

The tear in the boot appears to be from being forced over the ball. It may not have effected the performance of containing fluid but a flaw is a flaw. The use of some sealer or epoxy on this #2 WL made me think it was a little proto-typish as well.

[/URL]
WL #3

WL #3 with ball articulated

Backstory, When I bought my T56 and specified the White Lightning Shifter as an upgrade Sieg was entrenched with his videography and leakage diagnosis and sharing it with the masses here at Lat-G. Thankfully this led to me being very explicit about my concerns that it could happen to me.

As it turns out "Life happens" and my shifter is brand new in box at the time I learn that AP unveiled a new White Lightning design incorporating a seal. I called to inquire and was offered a swap even though mine had never presented a problem or even been installed.

When #2 shows up it's boot was slightly torn. Apparently from being slid over the ball. When I report this AP states they are meeting with their machinist and going over a reworked baseplate and speccing a different seal. I am told to hang onto the first 2 until the 3rd comes with an RMA shipping label which took about 5 weeks.

I never had an issue with the timeline due to "Life" but I figured it gave me the chance to snap these pics for you all before I returned #1 and #2. This thread seems like the right place to share them now. I really am impressed with the current version and in evaluating it's construction do not see how fluid could make it up and out of there.

69znc, do you recall what version your WL looked like?.. or when did you take delivery?

Last edited by Roberts68; 05-02-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I tried 3 different copies of WL #2. No luck with any of them. All leaked badly.

WL #3 looks promising. I'll be snagging one right now. Thanks for the post!

II Much Fabrication's Blog New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:28 AM

I am sure that they will get the sealing modifications eventually. Its never good to leave development in the customers hands. Even if it is just an oversite.
BTW
in an earlier post I found this:

compounded by an internal case pressure of up to 10 psi

Neither the TKO nor the Magnum units hold pressure. They have breather elements. If you have internal pressure, you have a plugged breather.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooty View Post
I am sure that they will get the sealing modifications eventually. Its never good to leave development in the customers hands. Even if it is just an oversite.
BTW
in an earlier post I found this:

compounded by an internal case pressure of up to 10 psi

Neither the TKO nor the Magnum units hold pressure. They have breather elements. If you have internal pressure, you have a plugged breather.
I believe the vent check valve on the T56 vent has a psi value. It's my understanding that a certain amount of pressure is required for seals to function properly.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:52 PM

While its true the newest breathers have a spring-loading and can hold a small pressure....it is quite small and certainly well below 10 psi.
The spring loading is there to avoid splash- entry and not for seal function.