Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 PM

Default Harvester of Sorrow

Just somethin new for you guys to check out. I think there will be a build thread at some point ... either here or pro-touring ... or both.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:19 PM

Nice work man. I'm diggin the design.

I think I'd go a tad bigger on the wheels.

Love the 3 vents on the fender, especially the bottom one, and how it blends with the trim.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 PM

Well, I know you know how it is ... 100% freedom and all that. But in this case even the owner wanted to go with bigger wheels ... but decided the Welds were growing on him. (I might sneak in my version later)
Old 05-10-2010, 11:12 PM

HA, It's always our biggest dreams..complete freedom!

The Welds are growing on me...my roots are pro street, with that said, I don't mind the "take it back" look. They look paint matched? That's a new spin on an older wheel, which is cool
Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 PM

I must confess to an error on my part. I used spot colors (something I almost never do) on this drawing and paid for it. The on screen appearance and printed appearance took a lot of work to get to something I was ok with. Live and learn (course I dunno how many slaps it'll take) I guess. But where I'm going with this is the wheel color. I was trying to match a couple GM colors ... their names aren't coming to me ATM but one of them has been in GMs line for quite some time. They are a warm gray. The wheels are supposed to be powder coated black. So there is a touch of color to the body paint and none in the wheels, but the on screen look isn't perfect. Some monitors show the color better, others don't. The final print looks more accurate which is ultimately the best I guess.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:44 AM

Not to hijack the post, but if you don't mind me asking, what are spot colors?

I've heard it before, and I know its related to digital work.

Adjusting color is something that's a pain...when I scan my work in, and color match it, Im only hoping my clients see the same thing I'm seeing LOL
Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 PM

no worries, if I post art, let's talk art. Spot colors in simple terms are colors that the computer doesn't know a standard mixture for, or a mix of ink Foose-style - a little of this and a little of that.

Editing this post is kinda pointless, but I re-read and am probably just going to make this more complicated. Anyway, if you talk to a person who runs a press he'll tell you that spot colors are mixed colors, inks. Sorta what I meant by Foose-style, but the Pantone system is an actual system of doing it (which Adobe products have built in) .... what I did was just make up colors, using CMYK. The reason it's an issue is that the monitor doesn't always show me exactly what I'm going to get. Neither does the Pantone system, but at least it's close. I have a Pantone book with swatches so I can look at it and say, I like this color, and know that my print is going to be pretty good. Better than guessing. I have no idea if that makes it any clearer. So in some sense I ALWAYS use spot colors, I'm using the term erroneously, but I'm not actually mixing ink and my image will be CMYK - the actual spot color will never ACTUALLY be used. I guess my meaning is more of a generalization .... a made-up color. In the print world it's simple. Spot colors are a color where I take ink, mix the color I like and print it. The other option (process) is to take an image, seperate all the colors into cyan, magenta, yellow and black and print with only those 4 colors, for everything.

Last edited by city_ofthe_south; 05-13-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: some clarification I guess
Old 05-13-2010, 10:29 PM

I know this looks like a gray car but there were actually 10 or 15 spot colors identified when I went to print. As a fellow artist I know you can appreciate the need to get what you want ... because you need it ... therefore 10 special colors just to draw a "gray" car.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:31 AM

Understood.

A buddy of mine just got hired at a T-Shirt printing facility, and he was explaining to me only using 3 colors to do a project. That's gotta be challenging...it's not like doing a photoshop illustration for the hell of it, you actually have to make it printable...so that it looks right.

With that said I can understand where the 10+ colors came from, you're not using cheater tools like dodge, burn, erase, when you do a gradient from dark to light you actually set the gradient up with a darker pantone color at one end, and a lighter pantone color at the other end, and possibly some in between...challenging stuff!
Old 05-14-2010, 01:21 PM

It's tricky enough that there are people who deal with this stuff for a living. I'm no wizard by any stretch. I have my monitors calibrated "as good as I can" with less than high-end hardware, work from a Pantone book, and 9.5 times out of 10 I get exactly what I want in the final product. The other times I go get me some proofs from a local print shop who knows their ****, make adjustments, take Ibuprofen, repeat.