Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 02-21-2010, 03:30 PM

Not to get off topic but whatever happened to Devious? Do they still have that Camaro?
Old 02-21-2010, 03:59 PM

I've actually never seen it in person... I live about 20-25 minutes away from their shop, they bring their cars down to our cruise occasionally, my parents have seen it when it was first done, I know it went to SEMA. This past summer they had an open house to which I attended, and I didn't see it there. Fuel was there, and it's siick.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Nelson --

You're going to HATE me for saying this -- and I really like your drawing and I absolutely LOVE '62 Impalas -- but my very first thought - is that it looks like a road work cone -- orange with silver reflector tape.

I'm sorry -- that's just what jumps out at me. I find the hashed side trim stripe to be totally distracting from the beautiful lines of this model.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:15 AM

i love the car and i love the color.

but as much as i love everything else about the car shown......i have to agree with others that there's just something about that gray on the side. i don't know if it's the combo of factory trim and slashed stripe that isn't flowing for me...

but looking very forward to this build.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:58 AM

LOL Greg, If I hated you after that comment, that would be pathetic. Good Designers shouldn't get THAT offended haha.

However, a good critique needs to have reason. If you don't mind me diggin' in a little bit, could you try to explain why it looks the way it does to you? Is it my take on the aar cuda stripe? (shape, spacing, ect) because the intent was NOT to copy it line for line. Or would you say the same thing about an orange AAR Cuda? lol

I can understand if you feel it just wouldnt work, it's a muscle car stripe going on a '62 Impala...That was the challange though, Prowler Orange, Charcoal Grey, and something similar to the AAR Cuda stripe. Maybe it would look better thinned out (as far as height), and not taking it completely down to the body line?

T-Type, I see what you're saying about both trim and stripe...the trim is horizontal, the stripe combo is vertical...still, through my eyes, I don't see the complication, afterall, the stripe is contained within the trim, and the main bodyline of the car. That's not saying they couldn't shave the trim, that would reveal the upper bodyline, hmm. Thanks for your feedback man.

Agian, I don't get offended by critiiqe, I find it very insightful. At the same time however I do believe in the saying, that I can't please everyone haha If my client is happy, that's all that matters. Maybe with the next projects I'll show you guys the preliminary sketches, that way you guys could help with the decision making process.

Like I said before...Keep the feedback coming! and thanks!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:11 PM

Nelson,

I love the AAR Cuda -- and the "Hemi" trim on those cars...

So it's not that broken stripe line that "bugs me" --- it's just this color combination with that stripe I think that jumped out at me and screamed "I'm a caution sign" -- or "I'm a road work cone".

I can't tell you how to do something "different" or what I'd do to make it not look the way it did to me... If I could do that -- I wouldn't need guys like you!!

Thanks for not taking the comment 'wrong' as I wasn't trying to bash the design... nor was I just trying to make a 'stupid' comment... and I really thought twice (or three times) about not leaving a comment at all -- because I didn't want to just be negative. But I did feel that maybe others would see it the same way I did so wanted to try to at least just state what I "saw".
Old 02-22-2010, 04:40 PM

haha true I guess. There's certain kinds of people that require more sketches and renderings to achieve the look they want, like you, they find it hard to explain what it is they don't like. I think whats doing it is the shape and spacing, maybe they're to bold for your choice. If the same color combo on an aar cuda doesnt give you the same impression, than its something Im doing wrong haha.

...and never think twice or 3 times to post something, just do it. Theres no stupid comment. LOL

Thanks agian.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:20 AM

I will concur with the comments regarding the stripe, it just doesn't look right somehow.

The first problem I would have, if I were designing the car, is that the stripe clashes with the already existing trim. The 'Cuda example you gave has no existing side trim, so if you were to remove the side trim that might help.

With the side trim deleted, I think a strobe stripe might work, but to avoid the "I'm a road work cone" look (I love that description!), perhaps you might tone the contrast down by having a lighter shade of of the gray color in the voids instead of the orange color.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. Sweet rendering by the way!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 AM

Bill --

You gave me a good idea! How 'bout doing the stripe in either a darker, or lighter (half tone?), of the body paint color... rather than this contrasting color.

I agree with you - remove the SS trim and just use the stripe as the definition of the body lines.

Also -- I think maybe try the hash marks closer and smaller at the nose - and have them be far fewer as you get to the rear... which is the REVERSE of the AAR Cuda stripe... AND OR -- fading away or getting darker.

Next thing you know -- I'll be an "inferior desecrator" (Interior designer)!!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:00 PM

haha Greg you're a card. Sorry I haven't responded, I was visiting a friend this week, and had crappy internet...

I would love to try this thing several ways, using a darker shade of the orange would look killer, to enhance the "Fade" look of the stripe, it could litterally fade into the original color. That's a great idea actually. Like I said before, theres many many ways of adjusting the stripage, but something to take into consideration...You want the concept of going fast, therefore I don't think reversing the stripe would do it any justice, you want the stripe to get "Smaller" as it follows the car back.

Bill, I totally think a 3rd color would be fun to do, but I just don't know. Lighter I think, would enhance the road work cone philosophy, becuase road work cones are literally, silver and orange lol

I personally think it's fine haha, I mean really, I could see it on the autocross, carving those corners, missing those "Road Work Cones" by a faction of an inch. It's almost like the car is telling you to beware, I'm dangerous. haha