Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 03-22-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfytr68
So does the new top of the line Mustang GT500. 3900 and change. And that's a production car. The Challenger does not formally exist yet, so the weight is just hype. It's a long way from show car to production.

Bottom Line: If the LX platform helps Chrysler justify the return of 2 door musclecars, I'm willing to overlook a little weight. Heck, I'll go on a diet to make up the difference.

Challenger:
Steevo, I have a suit that weighs as much as you do, dude. Now I can lose weight and make up for the difference. You however, are a skinny smart dude. Only way you can lose weight is to drive nekkid and none of us want that. Allen maybe, but not the rest of us. OK maybe Bill too.

I have a fund started "A Midlife Chrysler Fund" if you will, to purchase one of the Challengers. I love it. General Motors really needs to steal some of the design influence from some of its past winners, Like the 69 camaro. I know a lot of folks say it takes "styling cues" form the 69, but C'mon. I've seen Mapplethorpe take a crap on canvas, hang it the Met, and have an endless stream of Artsy Fartsy wine and Cheezers call it "Modern Art", all the while lamenting of the pain and depth displayed by the Artist's sweeping strokes and composition. Truth be known, Its Just Collard Greens and peanut butter, and lettin' it land where it will. And some serious drying time.

The Challenger is what people want. Nostalgia!!! And its Bad to the Bone. And to a large degree, It's like "dancing with the one that brung ya". Chrysler is doing it and so is Ford. Chevrolet is just askin' "Do you mind if we dance wif yo date"?

I am impressed with Chrysler and it's efforts.

Last edited by Ummgawa; 03-22-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:49 AM

Thanked 1,267 Times in 479 Posts

Jim ....You stated it perfectly. Maybe this can get sent to decision makers at GM.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:01 AM

I am a Chevy guy too and I would go buy one. Now take away the fact we are all car guys, does anyone else think it is almost toooo retro? I wouldn't change a thing and i think it is way better looking than the Camaro. But I think the new Mustang hit the nail on the head for styling. Just enough old, and just enough new.

Mike
Old 03-22-2006, 09:17 AM

Great renderings and exactly what I expected a modern Challenger to look like. Same goes for the Camaro concept. I'm a little worried that it is a little too much like following a box recipe for "How to make a new 69 Camaro or 70 Challenger in 12 easy steps." Ford has definitely had some success with the modern 67 Stang though.

I probably don't hold the popular opinion when I say that the current modern retro-craze is still just another fad that will PROBABLY end within the next few years. It's too bad that these great looking cars won't be in showrooms until late '07 at the earliest. And knowing how long it takes for the Big 3 to update styling over the course of a product life...they may be coming into the game too late.

Just my $.02

Hermance Design
My Facebook

Last edited by Hdesign; 03-22-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Supporting Member

Wow, that's just killer.... The drawings plus the news that these pros frequent our site. DEFINITELY like the concept guys - now BUILD IT!!

camarorestoration.com
Old 03-22-2006, 09:32 AM

Sweet ride. It's got just the right amount of this and not too much of that. If money fell from the heavens, I'd buy one. Hell, for that matter, I'd buy two.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:46 AM

Initially, I felt that the car was too retro! I have to admit tho, of all the cars with "retro" styling or cues, this car has the greatest appeal.

Of all the conversations I've had with local enthusiasts, whether they worship the blue oval, bowties or mopars, they all agree that the new Challenger could find a home in their garage.

If I was going to make any changes to the car, I would have foregone the retro style hood for somthing reminiscent of the Viper hood. Of course this would be a functional cold air induction! Had that been done, I would say, that would be the perfect balance of new and old influence.

For good, for bad, just my 2 cents.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:19 AM

As a whole I like the Challenger. Of course some things will have to change. I sincerely doubt the 20"+ wheels will make it to production (that's a good thing) and Id like to see the thing shrink in all dimensions. I sincerely hope they will have a manual transmission in it, but we all know how Daimler Benz feels about those....I'm not confident. Lastly, the weight. 4k is waaaaay too much. You can run all the "It's gotta HEMI" commercials you want, but the thing will still weigh FOUR THOUSAND POUNDS. Cripes.

Again, bitchin car, but as of right now, I prefer the new Camaro. Time will tell though.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:18 AM

You guys know me - I like seeing nice renderings! That's good stuff and I appreciate the guy(s) from Mopar sharing. I agree with True on the 20s, it's too "Unique Whips" for me. Of course you know some bonehead's gonna build a Donk-style version of it when it comes out. Geez.
Anyways, I myself have also contributed my 2 cents to the Retro-Design conversations and posts but now that the dust has settled on seeing the new Camaro and Challenger - I don't care about if it's too retro or not or what's too much retro - Hey they're building them and they're not butt-ugly, good enough for me! The Challenger looks great, aftermarket companies are gonna have a field day with this Challenger just like they are with the Stang. I'm just happy there's more to pick from from the OEMs than a Mustang and a Corvette for V8 muscle. The Ford GT is just way too far out of most consumers wallets. The GTO's gonna probably die and though I think that car makes for a clean sheet of paper to design upon, it's just not cuttin' it in the styling department.
Anyways - 2 thumbs up to Chrysler for once again bringing another killer concept to production (if they're makin' it).

John
Old 03-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

Cool drawings Mike. Nice looking car.

Are you going to be at Del Mar Goodguys?