Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 AM

That is all true if you build cars for perceived value and resale. If you build them for a passion you have, then I don't see them as worthless. Yes you will face different challenges with these because of the lack of aftermarket support. But the lower interest level means it is easier to acquire parts cars to use in the build.

But perhaps that is because I have owned a couple of vehicles from that list. They do respond as favorably to similar mods that more desireable cars take, and elevating them to that same performance level, in my experience, always was met with disbelief and respect of their potential. I found it quite satisfying when my disco era smogger put a more desireable muscle era car on the trailer after a run and the usual conversation after that was enevitively "no way is that a small block" and "I didn't think those could be made to run like that."
Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

The point I was making wasn't that it couldn't (or shouldn't) be done....

The point was more -- WHY BOTHER.... the costs are the same -- the end value is considerably less. The effort is probably the same or more due to the lack of readily available parts and pieces.

Most of us aren't doing this because we're trying to make money off the builds we do... But there's not much sense in doing something just because you care to be different and loose your arse in the process.. I guess... unless you're just made of money. Or Charley.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:13 AM

I think the different viewpoints in the last few posts are based in the each individual's differing philosophy of ...

A. Am I building this for myself, don't plan to sell it ever, so don't care about resale, want to build something unique ... and probably became a teenager & fell in love with cars during this era.

-or-

B. I building (or buying this car) for myself ... AND want it to be popular & bring high value when I sell ... and probably don't like cars from this era.

I'm a tweener on those two viewpoints. I'm 50 & love those styles from the 70's, because I grew up with them ... along with 50's hot rods & 60's muscle cars.

I wouldn't build a mid 70's PT car for myself. While I like "unique" ... I want to be able to sell it at some point & build my next project.

But I love to see other people build unique car models with TLC & flair ... and of course ... real G-machine type of performance.

Our individualism is what makes hot rodding & car building so interesting.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:43 AM

Ron -- Totally agree with you. A hot rodder should build whatever and however something turns him on. You will never find me arguing that point.

I've actually owned some of those mid 70's cars -- bought brand new.... I was a road rep - and changed cars annually to keep the miles low. Funny how people don't like a one year old car that has 50 or 60,000 miles on it... yet it was started far far fewer times -- and the brakes were used less... than on a 10,000 version -- but that's a different debate!

I think that having owned these --- is why I question "why". They really were truly a low point in automobiles... I don't question for a second - the fact that they can be made into decent running and driving cars. But paint is paint - motors are motors - upholstery is upholstery... as far as costs go. You sink 50 or 60K into one of these --- and my guess is you'd be hard pressed to get back 15... The same money in another car might get you 45 back... and that's my real point. Nothing more. You gotta love that car a LOT to do these.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
But paint is paint - motors are motors - upholstery is upholstery... as far as costs go. You sink 50 or 60K into one of these --- and my guess is you'd be hard pressed to get back 15... The same money in another car might get you 45 back... and that's my real point. Nothing more. You gotta love that car a LOT to do these.
Agreed. I love El Caminos. But sink the same money into a Chevelle & it's worth 50% more. You'd better plan on keeping it ... or losing a lot of money when you build unpopular styles.

Take care !
Old 06-17-2013, 02:33 PM

I dont know what you guys are talking about. Im sure if I were to list my Maverick tomorrow, I could get twice whats its worth. ... OK and back to reality, I'd still take a loss.

Its not a Vega!!!!

Total Cost Involved - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - Fatman - MaverickMan Carbon
Old 06-17-2013, 02:33 PM

Sorry for the thread jack BEN!!!

Now back to the original idea... behind the thread...... KILLER ARTWORK BY BEN HERMANCE!!

Old 06-18-2013, 01:34 PM

I'd say, the moral of the story is: Hire me to design a killer version of a worthless POS on the cheap, admire the rendering forever and never sink a penny into actually building it. Therefore, you'll never be disappointed in the return.

Seriously though, Ron made the point that I was trying to make. If you're building a car as an investment or a "me too" project, hoping for a good return, these aren't the cars you should start with. If you're passionate about a particular uncommon car and you don't care about pioneering some mods and spending some extra money build it how you want, the sky is the limit. That's what these concept renderings are about. At least you won't have to worry about pissing off know-it-all purists that gripe about having the wrong jacking instruction sticker on the trunk lid or the wrong color grease pencil marking on the firewall.

Hermance Design
My Facebook
Old 06-18-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdesign View Post
At least you won't have to worry about pissing off know-it-all purists that gripe about having the wrong jacking instruction sticker on the trunk lid or the wrong color grease pencil marking on the firewall.
That's funny ... because it's true.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:39 PM

Although sometimes ticking those guys off is fun too.

Ben, thanks for these renderings as they do prompt some out of the mainstream thinking about "what if." It may also help some of those who can't afford the popular models to look outside the box at potential instead of whats commonly seen at the local show and shine. If that prompts more Gen Y and Millinials at taking up the car hobby, then that is a good thing.

In the few examples of these I have owned, I discovered I could buy a much better condition, more complete car that required less in the way of paint, body, interior, at a significantly lower price point which allowed me to concentrate more on performance parts and end up with a lower total cost for the same performance level as a more preferable car. So the bang for the buck was actually higher.

But being a cheapskate to start with probably helped me with that.

Last edited by hp2; 06-18-2013 at 04:41 PM.