Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 05-29-2006, 07:19 PM

Default 1/12 Scale Scratch Built Street Rod

Nice to see a few familiar faces around here, Russel, Fredrick. Seeing that an Artwork forum has been added I'd love to take the time to post my current project.

I have been working on a 1/12 scratch built street rod of my own design. The design is based on a late 30's fat fendered Fords. The project started in 2003-2004 and has captured 3000+ Hours of design and 375+ Hours of fabrication on this version alone. (Four previous versions entered chassis fabrication before unforseen circumstances halted the development.)

This street rod is not just a model, but a prototype for the 1:1 version. Not only was this project a way of life but it became a part of my high school drafting and engineering classes. Before I continue, here are some pictures.

Front Lower Control Arm:
The front lower control arm was machined out of brass consisting of 8 different pieces. The shock fits in the middle of the control arm held in with a zero tolerance pin. Once chromed the pin will be hidden from sight, but with a light tap on the side the pin can be pulled out to remove the shock.

At the front of the control arm there is the lower half of the ball socket. This piece will be followed by the ball, and upper half of the ball socket to form a functional ball joint to allow for steering and suspension.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:20 PM

Frame:The frame is built out of a variety of materials including brass, styrene, and polyurethane. The front suspension bolts are hidden from plain sight once the front "frame clip" is attached (see picture above).

Old 05-29-2006, 07:20 PM

Rear Suspension:
After machining two dozen nuts and bolts the rear suspension can be assembled. I am often asked why I decided against an independent rear suspension. I chose the more traditional Ford 9" solid axel because it is not scene as often on the show floor along with the flowing lines that better fit the design of the exterior and the underbody.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:21 PM

Body:
The body is being built out of a variety of materials including polyurethane, styrene, evercoat, and brass. The door skins, trunk skin, and hood will be formed out of .010 brass sheet on a mini english wheel.

Engine:At this stage I have to begin building the engine before I can continue the front section the body. The powerplant will be a Chevy ZZ502 built from styrene, polyurethane, brass, and aluminum. The engine will include all the internals including valves, cam, crank, rockers, push rods, etc. Currently the engine has been designed, and is starting to be built.

This particular piece is master machined out of polyurethane. The master is of the tops of the cylinders with the coolant ports and cylinder bores. I will pour RTV mold rubber to cast these pieces for the engine block and heads.

I had to seperate the post to post all the images. Sorry.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Wow, that's damn cool!

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 05-30-2006, 07:06 AM

Scott,

You thought mine was cool. This is friggin awesome. lol. Mike is quite good with syrene..metal....you name it. lol. I've been watching this project for, what is it now Mike, a little over a year? I'm glad to see this thing taking shape. Hopefully this will make its way onto the artwork page. Glad to see you here Mike!

Artwork Page
Old 05-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

You must have great patience...Really neat project!