Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 09-28-2014, 02:17 PM

Default Project 1969

I've been a lurker here at Lateral-G for a while and have found all your projects have been very inspiring and have helped me on my current project. After having my 69 Camaro project for 11 years, it is time for me to share my project.
I started looking for a 69 Camaro in 2000 and finally found my perfect project car in 2003. They guy I bought it from was pretty much making it a Z-28 clone. He was pretty straight forward with me. His dad was the original owner and it was bought in '69 with a straight 6 and butternut yellow. It had been painted twice since the factory...once Canary Yellow, the next time, the blue you see here.

It was by no means a numbers matching car but seemed to be a pretty solid car interior was pretty decent. Plus it means I can make the car the way I want, which is exactly what I was looking for.

and the V8 they put in was aging, but still pretty solid for a driver.

I have done several mechanical upgrades over the period of 10 years. I've been having fun with working on it, driving it, and taking it to the local car shows.

I started having some issues after a couple of years with the old 350 so I decided to start with it. I pulled the motor and the front clip so I could clean everything up as well as I could for the new powerplant.

Clean up went well and I put the new motor in. I went with a built 383 stroker I picked up from a buddy of mine. Everything was fresh, but he had decided to go a different direction with his car. So it worked out perfect. I added the March Performance Pulley kit and a few extras including new control arms, front disc brakes, 2" drop spindles and a set of Centerline Telstars which looked sharper than the old Classic Centerlines it came with.

Upgraded the old 10 Bolt to a Moser Ford 9 inch and added subframe connectors and I was ready to roll again...

Wired my fans and added ceramic coated headers

I added a Thunder Road dash panel with some Autometer Cobalt Gauges and I matching steering wheel and this baby was ready for the track.

I ran it in the Pinks All Out race in 2010 just for fun where it proved to be an 11 second car.

I was happy with this, but I decided it is not the direction I had planned to go with my car. So in 2013, with everything mechanical about the car in very good shape, I decided to tear it down again and begin the most dreaded part...paint and body! I will update with a new post that will take you through this journey thus far... Stay tuned and thanks for reading!

Last edited by Intimidator3; 07-16-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:50 PM

Welcome to LatG, and I can't wait to see more. Car looks great!
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 09-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Welcome to Lateral-G. Great read on your journey and adventures with the car. Looks like you have had a lot of fun with it and it seems that a lot more is in store for you. Nothing better than getting out there and having a good time and that's exactly what you are doing.

Looking forward to seeing more of what you do. Any idea on the paint at this point? Going to stay the same or change it up? Seems that car has had just about all the colors on it except red.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 09-28-2014, 04:55 PM

i like it!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:06 PM

I like where this one is going!

69 Camaro (Sinister) Build
https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...light=sinister
Old 09-28-2014, 06:06 PM

Thanks guys. @ Curtis - I have settled with going back blue. But this time a more modern GM Color... Luxo Blue.. Here is a reference pic.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...rebb/C6frt.jpg

I plan for it to be more simple so probably not going back with the rally strips, but something more subtle...when we get to that point.

So here we go. About a year ago at this time, I decided it was time for paint and body and move in a slightly different direction. I knew I did not want this car to end up as just another drag car. That is not why I looked for a 69 Camaro for so long. SO I drove my car over to Camaro Concepts here in Houston. I spoke with Corbin up there and we agreed we agreed I really have to get this baby down to bare metal to see what we are dealing with and go from there. The car is what I would call a 20 footer as in it looked damn good from 20 feet away. Having this car for 10 years I already knew most of the secrets, or at least I hoped... I knew there was body work and rust in some areas, but nothing that Corbin and Roy could not handle. So I began the tear down...

So I pulled the motor and removed my cowl vent. Notice the rust near the bottom of the wind shield....

a little around the back window after I pulled the glass... but not as bad as I thought...whew! Hey look...Butternut Yellow!

The trunk pan...well I knew about that...yeah, kinda hard to haul around any dead bodies in that so I will have to replace that. (J/K)

Pulled the interior and yeah, hard to tell how bad, but someone previously tried to put glass over the pinholes looks like... Not looking good for the floorpan...

So I got it over to Camaro Concepts and while I was there, they already dropped the rear suspension. Within a week, here is what my car looked like... Ready for blasting!!

I decided to smooth the firewall. Here is a good before pic...

As I feared, I can see the rust damage around the windshield is pretty extensive. It's okay, Roy and Corbin have seen worse.

A little on the lower cowl too...

Car is back from blasting. naked and P-coated. I was worried they would start blasting it and suddenly they would say, "where did it go?" luckily, it still had a bit of medal left.

Some previous bad patch work hidden under the paint...

and the door...

More to come... 15 pic limit per post... Thanks again for reading!

Last edited by Intimidator3; 07-16-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:52 PM

Oh yeah, looks like it got attacked by metal eating termites...

Sorry, a little blurry

Lower cowl, floorboards... can see daylight through the holes. Under the fiberglass was sheetmetal patchwork. Oh, yeah, floorpan is outta here...

Doors eaten up from the inside (lower right corner) and the lower left door frame..

Okay, so while all that is going on, I loaded up my subframe and brought it home for disassembly. I am taking it and a few other parts to get powder coating.

Fast Forward... A week later...

Last edited by Intimidator3; 07-16-2017 at 08:47 AM.