Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 02-01-2017, 12:25 PM

Todd you've given us some info from books your reading. Do you mind sharing what's on your reading list with us.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:41 PM

Oh man, I've read a bunch of them on finances.

Total Money Makeover-Dave Ramsey
The Millionaire Next Door
Money, Master the Game- by Tony Robbins
Smart Investors Keep It Simple
Secrets of the Millionaire Mind-Reading now
Thou Shall Prosper-Reading Now
Rich Dad/Poor Dad
Cash Flow Quadrant
Who took my money

They have all impacted me in some way. Dave Ramsey motivated me to become debt free and to spend all your money on paper. Meaning, have a place for every penny you make. Robert Kiyosaki taught me young to leverage money and that did result in a good portion of my wealth in real estate. Tony Robbin's book gave me greater understanding of how the financial world works. He also lead me to some of the greatest investors in the world. The debt cycle info came from Ray Dalio. The Millionaire Next door cemented the fact that most live WELL below their means.

For me, money itself isn't a good long term motivator. I do like the art of business and doing well with integrity and serving the public. I also like the visions of how it can impact my families future. For instance, right now I'm saving to build our dream home. We own the land and plans already. I have learned to enjoy giving my money away to those in need. I believe it's important to help those that need it.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:18 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Oh man, I've read a bunch of them on finances.

Total Money Makeover-Dave Ramsey
The Millionaire Next Door
Money, Master the Game- by Tony Robbins
Smart Investors Keep It Simple
Secrets of the Millionaire Mind-Reading now
Thou Shall Prosper-Reading Now
Rich Dad/Poor Dad
Cash Flow Quadrant
Who took my money

They have all impacted me in some way. Dave Ramsey motivated me to become debt free and to spend all your money on paper. Meaning, have a place for every penny you make. Robert Kiyosaki taught me young to leverage money and that did result in a good portion of my wealth in real estate. Tony Robbin's book gave me greater understanding of how the financial world works. He also lead me to some of the greatest investors in the world. The debt cycle info came from Ray Dalio. The Millionaire Next door cemented the fact that most live WELL below their means.

For me, money itself isn't a good long term motivator. I do like the art of business and doing well with integrity and serving the public. I also like the visions of how it can impact my families future. For instance, right now I'm saving to build our dream home. We own the land and plans already. I have learned to enjoy giving my money away to those in need. I believe it's important to help those that need it.

Take it from me -- YOU DO NOT NEED MONEY to be, or to act, democratically. I do it daily. If you DON'T have money -- then volunteer your time. Share your knowledge with others, it will lift others up. Doing what's RIGHT doesn't have to cost a dime.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:06 AM

No doubt, that's where it started for me. Now I do both. It's fun to see the lives you impact. Especially if they don't know it was you.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Doing what's RIGHT doesn't have to cost a dime.
AMEN! And doing it even when nobody is looking is a great way to live life.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:30 PM

Its been pretty quiet lately, anyone have any updates?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCRFT78 View Post
Its been pretty quiet lately, anyone have any updates?

It has been quiet -- I've been quiet..... and the MARKET has been absolutely ROARING..... just wow.

It's been such a WOW -- that it's making me nervous and I'm not the nervous type. I took my cash position back up to way over a million bucks today - from just a couple hundred thousand..... cleaned up some losses (sold 10,000 of the 35,000 shares I hold in ETP).... since the losses are far smaller, and with the stellar run the market has had - that's what allows you to do such things.

Now then --- we also know the rules of summer..... Sell in May and go away.... well ==== it's a proven fact that beginning about May people start to kind of forget about the market and prefer to go on vacation instead... and that usually creates a dip in the summer months. I wanted to be just ahead of any of that selling - given the recent run up of epic proportions (which means that maybe more people will be taking profits (selling) coming into the summer).... and Congress goes on summer vacation - so the Donald could run his mouth off a bit more than normal -- and the FED is hiking rates which will also cause some adjustments to folks portfolios. All good - because we actually NEED a big sell off. Markets don't go straight up.

NOW ----------- remember this! If you are talking about RETIREMENT accounts -- DON'T do anything.... let 'em ride..... and if you are happy with your current portfolio - DON'T do anything.... let 'em ride. I'm a fairly "active" money manager and have ginormous positions - so I have to adjust them regularly lest they get out of control.

How many of you market mavens have gotten so that you're not so itchy fingered anymore -- and actually have finally gotten a grip on buy and hold and collect the dividends???? Not nearly as scary as it used to be huh -- once you have some nice fat gains in your accounts. Now you'll see that when you have a 20 or 25 or 40% gain on your holdings -- you don't really care if the market goes down 10% --- but you will have had to have owned for a bit to get to this point. It's sweet once you do though!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:02 PM

I bought some GM today, partly because I work for them now, and the 4% dividend. Didn't think about the ex date at the time but went back and checked today, just happened to buy it on the ex date exactly, kinda nice.

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133
Old 03-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLS2 View Post
I bought some GM today, partly because I work for them now, and the 4% dividend. Didn't think about the ex date at the time but went back and checked today, just happened to buy it on the ex date exactly, kinda nice.

Just so you know -- YOU WILL NOT GET THE DIVIDEND. There is at least a 3 day "settlement date" so you don't actually own the shares the minute you buy them - you must allow for the settlement time. Sorry to spoil your party.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Just so you know -- YOU WILL NOT GET THE DIVIDEND. There is at least a 3 day "settlement date" so you don't actually own the shares the minute you buy them - you must allow for the settlement time. Sorry to spoil your party.
Good to know, I never knew that. I didn't plan it that way anyway and we're only talking like $190, I don't buy in GW sized lots

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133