Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Best handgun for home protection?
.45 acp 103 39.16%
357 mag revolver 26 9.89%
9mm semi 67 25.48%
.40 semi 67 25.48%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 AM

I have a friend who owns a gun shop. He always said the best weapon for home defense is a shotgun.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM

from what I remember a 357 mag has more knock down power than a .45. Something like 1200 fps and 500 ft/lb out of a typical 158 g bullet for the 357 vs. 950 fps with 350-360 ft/lbs energy out of a 180 g bullet for the .45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RS350 View Post
The .357 and 9mm do not have the knock down power like the .40 or .45. If you want to knock them on there rear you want the .45. But depending on the barrel length and the gun a .45 is tougher to handle. So if your wife/gf could potentially use it then you'll need to take that into consideration. But in all likelyhood if you shoot at an intruder with anything they will run. I am in the markey for a 4" .40 and thats what I would recommend. A smaller person can handle it and they still have good power behind it. If you are wanting to use more than a home defense weapon I would get a .357 or 9mm because the .357 revolver you can shoot a .38 or .380 (not sure which one) out of the same gun and that makes it cheaper also the 9mm rounds are cheap to target shoot. Hope this helps and sorry for such a long answer!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:49 AM

In side the house a shotgun is the best bet. Shoot it down the hallway, your sure not to miss.

For a Handgun, bigger is better especially at short range. We have quite a few guns. I have a HK45 I simply LOVE! We take friends shooting with us often and of all our guns the HK45 is always our friends favorite. Lisa and I each have HK P30 9MMs which are very nice, almost exactly like the HK45 grip, but cheaper to shoot, but everyone seems better with the big boy 45.

I have a really good one to carry, a Sig P239, which is a single rack clip so it is narrow, easier to conceal. It is a 40 Cal. and has plenty of stopping power. I added a laser to the 40 cal. besides the accuracy, the thought process with that laser is if you point it at someone there is a high likelyhood you won't have to pull the trigger.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 AM

Derek, look at the HK45, the recoil hollow point 230 gr round is equal to our 9MM with 147 GR rounds. The gun is so well balanced my sons 4'11", 90 LB girlfriend likes the HK45 the best. New it is pricey (about $1050) but well worth it. I grabbed one in like new condition for $750 off the HK Pro forum.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:13 AM

I went looking for a handgun last summer. The first people I asked for advice were my friends who had been to Iraq. They all agreed 9mm's especially Berettas stunk. I didn't want the revolver because of ammo capacity, that took me the semi auto direction. I wanted a gun that had power and I would feel ok leaving with the little lady when I was gone for work. That led me to the Smith&Wesson M&P 40. Get it in the full size version if your not going to carry it, it will help with recoil. Kick isnt a factor and the gun will hit everything I aim it at within 20 yards without much effort on my part.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal87 View Post
looking into buying a handgun for protection and every time i go to the gun store the confuse me so I'll ask you guys.
The best gun is the one you feel most comfortable with. Find a friend wih loats of guns or range where you can rent different calibers, gun types and handle sizes. Pratice, practice, practice. You have to be super comfortable with whatever gun you get; remember, chances are if ever have to use that gun, it'll be in the dark and you may be half asleep.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:22 PM

I would vote towards a .45 with a low velocity ammunition (to help keep the round from going through too many walls and possibly hitting an unintended person)

I have an HK USP with Corbon ammo.

For a novice then I would go with some type of revolver since the last thing you want is a complicated weapon in inexperienced hands. For example my wife has a Ruger SP101 wheel gun and a S&W (ligher weight) both with .38 +P ammo.

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS
Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Lot's of good advice so far!

I have to agree with Frank. A shot gun for the house is the best way to go and for a hand gun a HK 40 or 45 with a 4" barrel is an awesome way to go. I carry my HK40 (3") daily and love the fit and feel of it. I also own a Springfield XD 40 (3") and it is a great gun. My wife has the XD 9mm 3" barrel and it to is a great weapon. The ONLY reason we go with the 3" barrel is for concealment! I shoot a lot of different hand guns on a regular basis. I really like the XD series. I would give serious consideration to the Springfield XD 9mm with a 4" barrel and use Spear Gold Dot ammo to up the stopping power a bit. It has great magazine capacity, a nicer trigger, it's easy to operate and you're wife can shoot it no problem.

I suggest you go to a range that rents guns. Shoot everything you are considering in all calibers. Take your wife with you! Start with a 45 and work your way down to a 9mm. The right gun is the one that you feel most comfortable with. Keep in mind that you may not be the one pulling the trigger when the perp comes a knocking.

Hit Marine71 up with a PM and ask him. Andy is a firearms instructor and can offer some very good advice on this subject.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 07-26-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
Inside the home, a tactical pump shotgun loaded with 00-Buck... Huge stopping power, and won't over-penetrate into other rooms or the neighbor's house... and if something goes wrong, you can still use it to club them over the head.
The only problem I have with a shotgun for home defense is the size. It would be the best for holding a defensive postion, but tough to wield in cramped quarters (ie, down a hallway, clearing around corners).

What ever you get make sure you hit the range often and do refresher trips. Also, make sure you and your family have the right mindset and know the laws about how you can defend yourself. Then again the old saying of "I would rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6" is pretty true.

The mental part is the most important. I've had this talk with my wife and she understands that if she has a gun she must also be willing to take a life with it. The alternative is that she just provided a weapon to the intruder.

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS
Old 07-26-2009, 01:13 PM

Default Glock 9mm

I have a Glock 17 for home defense pistol. With proper ammunition selection, the stop rate of a 9mm is within 1% plus/minus of a 45. Also, follow up shots with a 9mm are quicker/easier due to less recoil. Not to say a 45's recoil is going to kill you but it is noticeably greater. Glocks are like the Honda of the gun world. Not the prettiest, not the fastest but it always works. I can't even begin to tell you the things I have put mine through....Thousands of rounds later it's still ticking.

Shotguns are not necessarily the best options. A miss conception is that the buckshot will not over penetrate. I can tell you from personal experience that 00 buck will go through multiple layer of drywall/doors. Believe it or not with the correct ammo an AR15 is better regarding over penetration. They are also much more fun to accessorize

Last edited by akrapovic; 07-26-2009 at 01:19 PM.