Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-12-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965_SS View Post
So awesome! I remember seeing that car for sale.

Yep - I first saw it here when it was listed for sale... thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2019, 08:46 PM

Default ‘63 Chevy II Pro-Touring Build

For the fuel system, I decided to go with a Rick’s Restomod tank. I consulted with Carl at Vaporworx regarding the appropriate fuel module for my application. Because I’m expecting horsepower in the low 700s at the crank, and my LS7 is naturally aspirated, he recommended the ZL1 fuel module as an upgrade over the base LS3 fuel module. Carl is great - really knows his stuff.

I ordered the tank from Kim at Matt’s Classic Bowties. Big shout out to Kim - she is awesome... very knowledgeable, responsive and friendly. I ordered a bunch of stuff from her during their Black Friday sale and she was on top of everything and so easy to deal with. Tank arrived at AutoKraft a few weeks ago and looks great.

I’m also going to order from Carl his Vaporworx fuel module controller. The ZL1 fuel module puts out a lot of volume, but I won’t need that most of the time. Rather than running the pump constantly and restricting the output back to 60psi, the PWM unit will allow the pump to run at a fraction of its normal output, generating less heat and less wear on the pump. That should lead to long term reliability like an OEM unit.

The ZL1 fuel module uses PWM control from the factory; however, most people don’t use PWM in these types of applications. As a result, Ricks normally replaces the 88psi OEM regulator with the 60psi regulator that comes in the LS3 fuel module. Because I’m going to use the Vaporworx module, I had Rick’s leave in the 88psi fuel regulator. Using the higher regulator allows the PWM module to accurately sense the pressure of the fuel coming out of the module and cut back on the power to the pump as necessary to limit pressure to 60psi. Pretty cool stuff.

Last edited by bkswede; 02-13-2019 at 07:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bkswede For This Useful Post:
WILWAXU (02-16-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 05:53 PM

Not much to update on bodywork progress... thought I’d share what I ended up doing for brakes. After reading this long but very informative thread on proper brake sizing (https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Tobin-of-KORE3), I had Ron Sutton help me run some brake torque calculations for me to optimize the braking system for the Nova (I know Sutton’s reputation is trash right now due to recent events with his company, including Greg Weld’s debacle with him, but I found him helpful and knowledgeable for this exercise).

He ended up recommending a Wilwood package - Aero 6 calipers for the front with the larger piston sizes to provide a greater piston area and Superlite 4 calipers in the rear, again with larger piston sizes to provide adequate piston area). We went with the Superlite 4 calipers in the rear rather than the Aero 4 calipers, which would have been a better cosmetic match to the Aero 6 front calipers, because the piston sizes of the Aero 4 calipers weren’t a good match to provide adequate and balanced braking. We were targeting around 3000# of brake torque when equipped with street pads and 3500# of brake torque with track pads, each with a 70/30 front to rear bias. The piston sizes for the Aero 4 calipers were either too small or too large to achieve our targets with adequate levels of brake torque.

I went with 14.25” front rotors and 14” rear rotors, drilled and slotted, in Wilwood’s Spec-37 material. With Wilwood BP-10 street focused pads, a Wilwood 7/8” manual dual master cylinder, and an adjustable proportioning valve, this combination results in approximately 3100# of brake torque in our desired 70/30 bias. That should be more than adequate for the street with 255 width front tires given the Nova’s lighter weight. For track days, I can swap in BP-20 track focused pads, which should, with their higher coefficient of friction and the higher operating temperatures on the track, increase brake torque to around 3500# at our 70/30 bias.

Attached are a couple of photos of the front rotors and calipers - they’re big, should work awesome and will look great behind the wheels!

Last edited by bkswede; 02-24-2019 at 09:36 PM.
syborg tt (08-03-2020)
Old 02-24-2019, 01:01 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Fantastic Build...…….
Old 02-24-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhizz View Post
Fantastic Build...…….

Thank you sir!

Old 02-25-2019, 12:59 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Great build Keep it up.

Dum Spiro Spero - "While I Breathe, I Hope."

"One Test is Worth 1,000 Expert Opinions"
The Riehle Axiom
Old 02-26-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls1025 View Post
Great build Keep it up.

Thanks for the kind words!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2019, 05:54 PM

I’m heading over to AutoKraft next week to check out their progress on prepping the Nova for paint. Kurt and his team have been working on it for the last couple of weeks, so I’m anxious to see it!

In the meantime, I thought I’d share a few pictures of my wheels and tires that came in recently. I decided to go with Forgeline’s SE3C Concave wheels, which are a three piece forged wheel. I went with an 18x11 with a deep concave profile in the rear and an 18x9 with a shallow concave profile up front, which will give a staggered look. The inner hoops are satin black powder coated, as are the wheel centers. The outer hoop has a reverse flat lip and a brushed finish that is then clear coated. Center caps are also powder coated satin black with red and white Forgeline logo.

For tires, I looked for the best combination of a really sticky tire for braking, cornering and dead hook when accelerating (I’m expecting a little over 700hp at the crank and the Nova is pretty light...), and if they look good, that’s a bonus, too. After a lot of research, I ended up with Toyo R888Rs, and am really excited to try them out. They’re Toyo’s DOT competition road course tire and while they’re designed for great handling on dry surfaces (and they’re serviceable in wet conditions), they apparently hook really well from a dig, too. A lot of Hellcat owners have put these on their cars and they rave about the night and day difference in traction (Hellcats are notorious for not being able to put power down as you can’t stuff much wheel width under them).

I went with a 305/35/18 on the rear and a 255/35/18 up front. DSE recommends a maximum 295 width tire on the rear with their mini tubs for first gen cars. However, Kurt measured things up and is confident we have enough clearance for a 305 width, so we went with that. Should fill the wheel wells nicely

I’m really excited to see these on the car and check out the stance. We need to order some new wheel studs first as the existing ones are way too long. Once we get the new wheel studs installed, we’ll test fit the wheels and I’ll post some pictures. In the meantime, here are some pictures of the wheels after getting them unpacked. I think the wheel style should look great on the Nova and the color should compliment nicely the red Wilwood calipers and 14” rotors!

Name:  IMG_7732.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  264.4 KBName:  IMG_7736.jpg
Size:  257.4 KBName:  IMG_7737.jpg
Size:  254.3 KBName:  IMG_7733.jpg
Size:  278.3 KBName:  IMG_7734.jpg
Size:  270.2 KB

Last edited by bkswede; 03-17-2019 at 04:57 PM.
syborg tt (08-03-2020)
Old 03-16-2019, 08:02 PM

Awesome wheels!
Project Build
The Following User Says Thank You to 1965_SS For This Useful Post:
bkswede (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965_SS View Post
Awesome wheels!

Thanks!