Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-21-2019, 10:41 AM

I have zero experience, but what about adding a check valve to vent line to stop the sloshing of fuel in the tank, assume that's what is causing the fuel leak at high g's? Something like this:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...sp?RecID=24924

1968 Camaro SS
Old 08-21-2019, 10:55 AM

So these are not the best pictures but hopefully with an explanation it'll help with how the tank vent on my 1985 MCSS stock tank works.

This is what the pickup tube\sending unit\vent unit looks like installed.

This is what is inside the tank.

Basically one 3/8s line is the pickup tube from the sock on the bottom of the tank that fed the old fuel pump, the 5/16s line is the return from the old fuel pump and the other 3/8s line is the vent. I now have the two lines that led to the old mechanical pump blocked off and the 3/8s vent line and sender is all I am using this for.

Just inside the tank the vent line has a 90 degree fitting with a splash flap maybe 1/4" away covering the end of the fitting. I don't have a good picture of this, sorry. Think of the splash flap as covering the end of the fitting but still allowing air to vent out or in the tank.

Outside the tank the vent connects to a rubber fuel line which goes up over the rear axle and connects to a 3/8s hard line that runs up the driver side of the frame and connects to the charcoal canister in engine bay on the port that says "tank". The other connection on the canister says "carb" and is connected directly to a ported vacuum source on the throttle body.

That's it... The O-ring seal on the pickup is an OEM design and works great, the 34 year old rubber line from the pickup to the hard line is still in great shape and doesn't seep or leak and all of the soft lines in engine bay have been replaced with new EFI rated rubber lines. The engine sucks on the canister intermittently as ported vacuum increases and decreases but doesn't hold steady pressure on the tank like manifold vacuum would.

Hope that helps somewhat. My car would smell the garage up with fuel smell after parking it with the carb setup on it but now with the PTFE line and the TBI, it leaves zero fuel smell in the garage or while driving it hard. I haven't had it on track yet with the EFI but I expect it to be the same there as well.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the pointers and photos Lance. I dont have a purge valve in place, or a properly piped and installed charcoal canister at this time.

I am going to try one more round of venting changes, if they don't work Ill be figuring out a charcoal canister that gets piped into engine vacuum somehow.

Been working on the tunes all week, no real pics to show yet but it should turn out good. Got some cool stuff going on, very simple but hope it nets some good sound quality. Cause remember this is a street car =)

Got some pics from a local photog of the last track day at PIR last Friday. He did an awesome job of capturing some super fun times on track.

Even managed to grab me pulling a tire on turn 12!!!! Here are a few of my faves

This Vette was pretty awesome and we had a wonderful time on track. Its a Grand Sport with a small supercharger setup. He was dynod at 580 wheel and could pull me just a little on the straights but as you can see it wasnt by much, I was glued to his bumper in this session until I got around him. Volvo was a little faster in the turns that he was.

Priceless, Ferrari giving the Volvo a pointby

Peep that inside tire!!

GT350 was fast but never fast enough to get around the old **** box. We had some great fun and it was good talks when we got back in the pits.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hackster For This Useful Post:
Boosted Falcon (08-23-2019), Nonhog (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 11:54 AM

So much cool right there!
The Following User Says Thank You to ScotI For This Useful Post:
hackster (08-30-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 01:09 PM

I can see the grin on your face from here...

I bet you all had a blast! Love running right with other cars and drivers of similar speed, especially in an old sh**box... lol...
Old 08-23-2019, 03:15 PM

Given em the bidness!! That's gotta be a lot of fun....
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 08-23-2019, 05:26 PM

It's a small part of the puzzle, but the impact is comparatively large: the Ferrari point-by. There's that and running with a supercharged C7.

Old beige Volvo box, MFR's!

This reminds me of a funny 1320 Video episode that included a very similar (in body, anyway + turbo LS) car called Mother____er Jones. I won't bother trying to insert it here (one can search YouTube), but the experience is excellent for all . . .

Good work, sir!

On the topic of pressurizing the fuel tank (especially in heat and with enthusiastic driving/Wally 450 pressures) the Falcon has always had some problem of this type, with both Ferd and LS engines. My latest attempt at relieving the dumb thing's pressure is a -8 rollover valve which is then plumbed to an old eBay catch can I've had forever. Here's hoping for less nasty in the trunk-ish area of the car.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster View Post
I dont think that there is much interest in a backyard project like mine on this forum but Ill keep the thread updated anyways...Sean
BS. Been following since your first truck build. Shared it with my now 15 year old son, we check in and don't comment, but we're fans, we're inspired and we'd miss it if the updates stopped. Carry on..
Old 08-30-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
I can see the grin on your face from here...

I bet you all had a blast! Love running right with other cars and drivers of similar speed, especially in an old sh**box... lol...
It was awesome and yes, that grin was on there all day long =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Given em the bidness!! That's gotta be a lot of fun....
It is. Mostly because nobody expects it. Been spending a lot of time in the drivers seat, that is making huge improvements too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
It's a small part of the puzzle, but the impact is comparatively large: the Ferrari point-by. There's that and running with a supercharged C7.

Old beige Volvo box, MFR's!

This reminds me of a funny 1320 Video episode that included a very similar (in body, anyway + turbo LS) car called Mother____er Jones. I won't bother trying to insert it here (one can search YouTube), but the experience is excellent for all . . .

Good work, sir!

On the topic of pressurizing the fuel tank (especially in heat and with enthusiastic driving/Wally 450 pressures) the Falcon has always had some problem of this type, with both Ferd and LS engines. My latest attempt at relieving the dumb thing's pressure is a -8 rollover valve which is then plumbed to an old eBay catch can I've had forever. Here's hoping for less nasty in the trunk-ish area of the car.
Thanks dude, I am getting there. The more people I talk with about this the more I hear about fuel issues. I am seriously considering your catch can idea in the trunk as well. It seems like a solid approach, something that I could empty after each run if there was any fuel in it. Also trying to figure out how I could hook up a charcoal canister on the vent line and too engine vacuum without a Solenoid valve in there. Not sure if it just gets plumbed to engine vacuum or what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubby2009 View Post
BS. Been following since your first truck build. Shared it with my now 15 year old son, we check in and don't comment, but we're fans, we're inspired and we'd miss it if the updates stopped. Carry on..
Thanks man!! Its great to hear that people are still reading it. Ill keep the updates coming.

Spent most of last week getting some tunes in this pig.

Aside from 1 bad speaker its turned out very nice.

This was very tough, locating everything getting the holes cut in the sheetmetal to line up with the new hole in the door card. Also missing the lower trim piece on the door sill and the crank for the windows. I had this location picked out a long time ago, as I wanted some additional holding power on the door panels. So these are drilled into the sheetmetal with full length screws.

These are Audison 5x front speakers with Morel grilles on them (Better looking and fit the look and feel I was going for on the door panels)

The plan was to keep this simple looking from the onlooker. So instead of a traditional head unit I went for this setup. This is an Audison DRC, its a direct input into the Bit Ten from Audison and is a really cool, small and light piece. It took a little work with the dremel on the ashtray to make it fit but it fits pretty good. Not sure its the final placement but moving it is super easy.

This runs to the Bit Ten in the passenger kick panel and has lots of great functions, I am running it all on bluetooth input so my phone controls all of the music to it. Its a fully progrmable device, Digital EQ, crossover, staging with 5 pre outs to amps. I have software on my laptop and program the Bit Ten from that via a cable. Its amazing what you can do with this piece.

I installed an AD 400.4 amp with the rear channel Bridged for a super simple setup. Amp is under the passenger seat and that gave me great places to run the cables as I have ditched the rear seat air passages.

Sub is a singe Fosgate Punch P2 DVC sub, single 4 ohm load how I have it wired in.

We built the sub enclosure to fit tight between the down bars of the cage and tight to the floor to rear deck height. I covered the front in leather, then built a cover panel for the rear area to finish it off.

I initially was just going to cover it but it was way to flat and boring, needed some detail so I thought on it overnight and got up at 5 (I am a terrible sleeper) and threw this together.

Its super simple, but made a little more detail on the panel to make it look like something.

The finished product. I used a small fox tail broom, cut in half and used the bristles mounted on the back of this panel to finish off the ends where the trunk hinges go. They are brown and blend right in.

Took the car out for a nice 100 mile drive yesterday morning. Kept tuning on the stereo and I have to say for just 2 5" speakers and a 10" sub it sounds amazing.

Car is pretty damn good. Drives great, cruises down the freeway at any speed you want to go very nice. 1600 RPM at 70 mph is ridiculous. Hauls ass on the road course and autocross.

This weeks project is to fix my god awful fuel system......

Sean
Old 08-31-2019, 09:46 PM

So I have been fighting with this fuel system since the car went together.

Have had issues with the fuel leaking from the filler neck, raw fuel coming out of the vent, fuel leaking out of the fuel pump at the tank. Its been fun.

So after smelling fuel for the last time I decided to order some (lots of parts) and remount the pump and reconfigure the entire vent system on the car.

A couple of notes for anyone reading through this thread and looking for fuel pump info. Having run both the aeromotive setup and the Holley drop in retrofit setups I can without a doubt say that the Aeromotive is a better engineered product. If I had it to do over again I would have put the Aeromotive in tank pump in.

But here we are so here we go with trying to fix it.

So when Holley sells this they give you a foam ring, the problem is the foam ring compresses thinner than the flange height so unless you have a .125" thick fuel tank, the foam ring compresses before this assembly is tight on top of the tank. I had tightened the pump down on initial install and retightened later down the road. When I pulled it apart the last time it was clear that these were over tightened and the rubber was pushed out. I believe all of this could be avoided by them machining the top of the assembly different.

Clearly this was not sealing.

Holley was nice enough to ship me out new hardware after I told them my issues. So 5 new bolts, 5 new washers and a new foam ring.

Next up was Revising the vent. The setup I had on it was vented from the stock sender, up a loop, and out a rollover valve mounted inside the fuel filler door.

The vent line out of the Holley assembly was going to the factory line attached to the filler neck.

So the first update was swapping those two. The new setup will be quite different. First new part going in is an in tank rollover valve. I rotated the openings on the rollover valve to be from the right and left then the vent line is now a -6 out the front of the assembly.

I cut a cork gasket to take up the too high flange height and installed the new foam ring.

Ready to go back in with all new hardware.

So new plan for the vent line is off the front of the pump, instead of the side so hoping to limit the fuel slosh out the vent from side to side.

It is aluminum line over to the passenger fender and a huge loop up to the rear window and down by the filler neck.

Then out of that into a fuel catch can then out of the catch can top vented out the buttcheek.

I fabbed this up out of some plate and a 3" mandrel bent stainless 45, a little bit of plate and some fittings.

All plumbed up with -6 an stuff. Pretty happy with how this turned out.

Got it buttoned up this morning and took it out for a trip. The first time I have driven the car and had it not smell like fuel both inside and out. Filled it up with no issues. drove across town and back.

I am truly hoping that I can move on with other stuff now but wont know until the next track day.

Now to fix a few pesky interior rattles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hackster For This Useful Post:
CCS (09-03-2019), Evil_s10 (03-06-2020)