Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 01-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thumbs up

PM sent Scot.
Full of DSE and Holley parts
Old 01-10-2015, 11:17 PM

I'm new to this forum, but I've been working on a couple pro-touring type Camaros for about 6 years. I'm on Pro-touring.com, but I haven't been active on this site, just lurking. I really appreciate the effort that went into this thread. This is an elegant implementation of a PWM controller for the cooling fans. I've ordered all the necessary items and will have mine hooked up soon too. Thanks for all the info.

I'm wondering if we could extend this solution to get rid of the binary switch in a Vintage Air system and let the ECM control the Sandeen compressor too. As I understand it, the function of the binary switch is to protect the compressor. That is, if the AC pressure is too high, the binary switch interrupts electric power from being delivered to the compressor clutch. Likewise, the binary switch will also turn off electric power to the AC clutch if AC pressure is too low. It seems logical that GM would implement a similar safety feature in their cars. And, since the AC pressure sensor is coupled to the ECM, it would seem likely that this binary type safety feature would be implemented in the ECM. Thus, I'd expect that there's a software routine in the ECM that uses high or low AC pressure to turn off the AC compressor clutch, and we might be able to modify this routine to use pressures that correspond to the Sandeen compressor instead of a production compressor. Moreover, I'd heard that GM's ECMs turn off the AC clutch if WOT or high RPMs is detected. The same routine may handle these functions too. These would be features I'd like to have implemented in my cars too.
I'm not highly experienced with ECMs and their software or with AC systems. I'm just trying to think about this logically. So, feel free to tell me I'm all wet, and/or point me to some materials that would help move this matter forward.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:25 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrydmorgan View Post
I'm new to this forum, but I've been working on a couple pro-touring type Camaros for about 6 years. I'm on Pro-touring.com, but I haven't been active on this site, just lurking. I really appreciate the effort that went into this thread. This is an elegant implementation of a PWM controller for the cooling fans. I've ordered all the necessary items and will have mine hooked up soon too. Thanks for all the info.

I'm wondering if we could extend this solution to get rid of the binary switch in a Vintage Air system and let the ECM control the Sandeen compressor too. As I understand it, the function of the binary switch is to protect the compressor. That is, if the AC pressure is too high, the binary switch interrupts electric power from being delivered to the compressor clutch. Likewise, the binary switch will also turn off electric power to the AC clutch if AC pressure is too low. It seems logical that GM would implement a similar safety feature in their cars. And, since the AC pressure sensor is coupled to the ECM, it would seem likely that this binary type safety feature would be implemented in the ECM. Thus, I'd expect that there's a software routine in the ECM that uses high or low AC pressure to turn off the AC compressor clutch, and we might be able to modify this routine to use pressures that correspond to the Sandeen compressor instead of a production compressor. Moreover, I'd heard that GM's ECMs turn off the AC clutch if WOT or high RPMs is detected. The same routine may handle these functions too. These would be features I'd like to have implemented in my cars too.
I'm not highly experienced with ECMs and their software or with AC systems. I'm just trying to think about this logically. So, feel free to tell me I'm all wet, and/or point me to some materials that would help move this matter forward.

You are correct in that GM ECM's do control AC compressor - however - GM ECM's receive AC compressor request signal over LAN from BCM (no discrete AC compressor request input directly to ECM).

So best solution I've come up with is AC pressure sensor into ECM to control fan output based on AC pressure - then use Vintage Air trinary switch to control compressor.

At least this way you can control fan output from coolant temp, oil temp, trans temp, intake air temp and AC pressure.

Dave
Old 01-11-2015, 03:45 PM

Dave,
Thanks for the reply. I see, so if the ECM never receives an AC compressor request, then I assume the output signal from the ECM remains high all the time (i.e., the output is never pulled low by a real AC compressor request from the BCM)? Is there a way to permanently tie the AC compressor input request to simulate a constant request for AC from the BCM?
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikels View Post
You are correct in that GM ECM's do control AC compressor - however - GM ECM's receive AC compressor request signal over LAN from BCM (no discrete AC compressor request input directly to ECM).

So best solution I've come up with is AC pressure sensor into ECM to control fan output based on AC pressure - then use Vintage Air trinary switch to control compressor.

At least this way you can control fan output from coolant temp, oil temp, trans temp, intake air temp and AC pressure.

Dave
Old 01-16-2015, 07:42 AM

After much searching, I have finally found a supplier for the PWM module connector body & terminals. So soon these will be in my hands:
Old 01-16-2015, 07:47 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot
After much searching, I have finally found a supplier for the PWM module connector body & terminals. So soon these will be in my hands
Can you tell us more about this supplier?

II Much Fabrication's Blog New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:57 AM

I can't give out all secretes yet. But they supply them to the car manufactures. I bought 5 of them. Don't need all of them, so i will have some extras for sale.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Scot,

Is this top secret information? LOL

Andrew
Old 01-16-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Scot,

Is this top secret information? LOL

Andrew
For now it is. :-)
Old 01-27-2015, 08:29 AM

Connector parts showed up the other day, the wire seals will show up tomorrow.

Power terminals:

PWM signal terminals:

Connector body:

I have 5 complete sets. When the seals get here I will also have ECM terminals. If you have the GMPP controller kit & want to add the Maxi fuse/breaker in the fuse box to power the fan, I can get the terminal for that fusebox as well.

I spent a ton of time trying to find this connector. If you have searched it you know they aren't available from GM.

When the seals get here I will have everything needed (except the wire) to add this fan module. $50 shipped to anywhere in the US.