Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 11-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

Great topic. Its cool that you started this over a year ago.
I chimed in mainly to shed some light on brain function as a part of healthy living. How my eating habits affect my brain was something I never really considered before.

I never have asked my doctor during physicals how my brain is doing. Nor have they ever said anything to me about brain function while discussing bloodwork, diet, exercise, etc.

We have probably all read tons of stuff on this topic and take a few pearls from those readings that may benefit our life. The book by Perlmutter is just that for me, just info that sheds some light on brain and eating that I never even considered. Taking a few pearls from it and trying to strike a balance for me is the goal. I never adopt everything I read, just educating and using what makes sense.

The bottom line is death does happen no matter what, I'm hoping my brain is still working then
Old 11-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Tony, I was just thinking about the chemicals in deodorant and soaps today. Have you found the natural products to work?
Yes, I use Urban Cowboy deodorant. aluminum free, the wife uses something similar, Natures Gate organic deodorant. As for shampoo, I'm still searching for something good. Right now I use Hempz. I don't know how "clean" is is as far as chemicals. Bar soaps, I buy from our farmers market, people make them from lye and oils. They smell great and don't dry out the skin.

Regarding Alzheimers, my aunt died from it, so I know it quite well. And something we need to be aware of is sodium fluoride in our water. This is said to accumulate in the pineal gland over time. Whether there is a connection or not, sodium fluoride is often added to local water supplies. The additive is industrial waste of aluminum production. Often it's purchased from China by your city water dept. Do some research and find out if your city is fluoridating its water. If it is, I suggest moving or making a stink. We are lucky in that they don't add it to our water. Make no mistake, it is poison, and even in the smallest amounts, it's still bad for you.

As far as wheat, I think the science is there, being that wheat has been modified to contain Gliadin. My research leds me to believe it is a horrible product... and even "non GMO" wheat could contain it, as GMO wheat is not supposed to be legal in the US anyway, that could be marketing ploy as well. After being off wheat for so long, if I eat any of it, my appetite goes into overdrive and I crave some serious sugar. That could be just me, but food makers aren't any different from Phillp-Morris. They want their products addictive. It they can engineer that, they well. And I believe they have.

After seeing the biggest changes in my life when I stopped eating wheat and pasteurized dairy, I will continue to be rabidly anti-both of those products.

Regarding pasteurized dairy, it explodes the healthy cells wreaking havoc on your body if you have a histamine sensitivity. That is why the CDC lists milk as the number #1 allergen. That's only one aspect, nevermind the hormones and antibiotics and crap GMO feed they give the cows. So much for all that "Got Milk" propaganda.

Raw, fresh milk is where it's at!

As you get more informed, you learn that almost everything we are exposed to in the form of health is a lie. It's propaganda rooted in greed and political agendas. Never stop questioning.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_SS View Post
Yes, I use Urban Cowboy deodorant. aluminum free, the wife uses something similar, Natures Gate organic deodorant. As for shampoo, I'm still searching for something good. Right now I use Hempz. I don't know how "clean" is is as far as chemicals. Bar soaps, I buy from our farmers market, people make them from lye and oils. They smell great and don't dry out the skin.

Regarding Alzheimers, my aunt died from it, so I know it quite well. And something we need to be aware of is sodium fluoride in our water. This is said to accumulate in the pineal gland over time. Whether there is a connection or not, sodium fluoride is often added to local water supplies. The additive is industrial waste of aluminum production. Often it's purchased from China by your city water dept. Do some research and find out if your city is fluoridating its water. If it is, I suggest moving or making a stink. We are lucky in that they don't add it to our water. Make no mistake, it is poison, and even in the smallest amounts, it's still bad for you.

As far as wheat, I think the science is there, being that wheat has been modified to contain Gliadin. My research leds me to believe it is a horrible product... and even "non GMO" wheat could contain it, as GMO wheat is not supposed to be legal in the US anyway, that could be marketing ploy as well. After being off wheat for so long, if I eat any of it, my appetite goes into overdrive and I crave some serious sugar. That could be just me, but food makers aren't any different from Phillp-Morris. They want their products addictive. It they can engineer that, they well. And I believe they have.

After seeing the biggest changes in my life when I stopped eating wheat and pasteurized dairy, I will continue to be rabidly anti-both of those products.

Regarding pasteurized dairy, it explodes the healthy cells wreaking havoc on your body if you have a histamine sensitivity. That is why the CDC lists milk as the number #1 allergen. That's only one aspect, nevermind the hormones and antibiotics and crap GMO feed they give the cows. So much for all that "Got Milk" propaganda.

Raw, fresh milk is where it's at!

As you get more informed, you learn that almost everything we are exposed to in the form of health is a lie. It's propaganda rooted in greed and political agendas. Never stop questioning.
Thanks for the feedback Tony.

I also agree on Water. One of the many changes I made along the way was a whole house water filter to reduce environmental factors for our showers and cooking. We also drink bottled water that is sourced from a spring vs. LA tap water.

The more you know, the scarier it gets. You're right, there is to much misguided information driven by greed, NOT HEALTH.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:48 PM

Make Happiness a STUDY, it's one of the key ingredients for success.

My mentor Jim Rohn said, "If you wish to be happy, study happiness."

If you are like me, I didn't know happiness was a study? How many people do you know that make it a study?

The common American philosophy is that when you become successful, happiness is the natural side effect. For example, when I land that six figure job, buy my dream car, get married, get in tip top shape, etc...

My studies have led me to a new perspective. Happiness is as much a cause for success as success is for happiness.

I started in on a new book called "The Happiness Advantage". It's written by a Harvard graduate that has made his focus POSITVE psychology. I'm going to share some interesting statistics:

1. Depression rates in America are 10 times higher than 1960.
2. In 1960, the mean offset age of depression was 29.5 years of age. Today, it's only 14.5!
3. In 1998, the ratio of psychologists that studied the negative vs. the positive side of the equation was 17:1.
4. Those found the happiest at 20 years of age were found to live nearly 10 years longer than the least happy.

The point being made about studying the negative side vs. the positive is this, there focus is on helping the depressed get back to a normal life. I think that's great but what about the average man or woman finding greater happiness?

My first thought was that the negative side is where the money is at but he proved me wrong. Companies are paying good money to bring him in to influence their employees. When they offered the class at Harvard, over 1000 signed up the first semester. It turns out that 4 out of 5 Harvard kids suffer from depression once a year.

They found by having a child think of their favorite thing to do prior to putting some blocks together vs. no influence led to faster completion of the task.

Even doctors were tested with a lollipop vs. no lollipop and were found to find the right diagnosis 19% faster and have 2.5 times less chance of anchoring to their initial impression.

Big companies like google are taking big strides to make their employees happier. They even allow some employees to bring their dog to work.

The science proves that it goes beyond a positive attitude. Your brain actually functions more efficiently leading to greater skill. Our brains will adapt to circumstances.

Aristotle described happiness as "Eudaimonia" which translates to Human Flourishing.

The ten common positive emotions are: Joy, Gratitude, Serenity, Interest, Hope, Pride, Amusement, Inspiration, Awe, and Love.

The bottom line is that science has proven that we can rewire our own minds with time. We are born with a clean slate and our environment up until today has shaped us, not our genes.

This brings more clarity to the power of personal development. Feeding your mind with positive influence not only improves your attitude and the trajectory of your days, it increases your awareness. It's made a HUGE difference for me.

Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present. -Jim Rohn

Last edited by Vegas69; 11-11-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Thanks for the feedback Tony.

I also agree on Water. One of the many changes I made along the way was a whole house water filter to reduce environmental factors for our showers and cooking. We also drink bottled water that is sourced from a spring vs. LA tap water.

The more you know, the scarier it gets. You're right, there is to much misguided information driven by greed, NOT HEALTH.
Edit from above, it's Herban Cowboy deodorant.. lol.

On those whole house water filters, I've read most all of them do not filter out sodium fluoride, just FYI. The rabbit hole goes pretty deep on the topic. Apparently head top EPA scientist was fired for exposing the program as one of the biggest hoaxes ever put on the American people. There are all sorts of interviews on youtube with him and about the topic. The stuff is outright poison, its why we have warning labels on our toothpaste. Speaking of, I use Tom's toothpaste since its fluoride free. Damn, I wish I was paid for these product adverts.

Something new I'm about to try too... it's all about preventative maintenance. Black cumin seeds or black seed oil.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FVNM3A/...I1PZ45GUBX4R96
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001CNL1M/...I2UPG5Z06YZYGA

Here's where I got the idea. I love this site.
http://www.naturalnews.com/042853_Ni...revention.html
Old 11-12-2013, 10:06 PM

My main goal for the whole house filter was sediment and chlorine reduction. They claim the chlorine vapor during showers is harmful.

Thanks for sharing the Nigella Sativa. Let us know if you feel a difference.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:43 AM

How are you doing with your fitness with the holidays on the horizon?

Now's a good time to start thinking of your goals for 2014. If one is to improve your fitness, make sure it's detailed.

For instance: Lose 15 lbs

Read 2 books on nutrition.
Work out 4 days a week for 30 minutes. First thing in the morning. Wear your gym clothes to bed and put on your shoes right away.
Join a gym that is CLOSE to your house.
Track my diet for 30 days minimum.
Shop for food more and eat out less.
Get your Wife on board. (Accountability)

We always need an action plan to achieve our goals.

I haven't laid out my goals for 2014 but one is going to be to pack on a little muscle. I'll put together a plan to do that with changing my weight routine and duration. I'll pick up a book or two and find the healthiest way.

I checked my bod fat percentage yesterday and it's right at 11.5%. I've put on a few pounds lately. This will allow me to check my weight vs. body fat down the line. I like my physique around what I believe to be 10%. At 11.5% I have a little more pudge than I like.

About a month ago I ran a mile for time. I was hoping to break into the high 5 minute time frame. I ended up running it in 6:12 which is my all time best. Next year I hope to run some longer distances. I've run two 5 K's now and may set a goal to run a half marathon.

Last edited by Vegas69; 11-23-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:14 AM

My prognosis for '13 was and is fair. I give myself a C. Did not "pencil" in enough time for my cycling. Eating is getting better. My wife and I are slowly making the conversion to "whole" foods.

We went away for our 25th anniversary (d-world/miami beach/sema) and on the whole trip we ate good, one large meal and very lite the other two/three. Kept our cocktails to a minimum. Walked massive amounts at D-world and SEMA and i still gained 3 lbs. So I now, at 47, have to watch my intake more than ever. When i'm on my bike, i usually ride 1 to 1.5 hours AT SPEED.

I still haven't met with a nutrionalist. Just did testing at an allergy doctor (our deductible is paid and my wife made the appt for the both of us). I'm pretty much allergic to any green lol. Which i've known for years, which is why i've always eaten good and exercised. But this getting older thing is strange. I've got to adjust/dial in as my body changes. Its like a carburetor , you have to adjust it for the differing variables life gives you......

So for next year, no real lofty goals, consistently ride and consistently eat better. Recognizing the need for change is the opposite of complacency....and bodies at rest stay in rest and bodies in motion stay in motion....
Old 11-23-2013, 11:47 AM

I'm pretty excited because lately I've been able to open up my schedule a bit.

I now have 35-45 minutes 4-5 times a week to work out. I do it first thing in the morning, before week. This week was my first week, so I just did some basic circuit training to get my body use to it again. This coming week I'll hit the weights a little harder.

Looking to drop some weight and just get in better shape. I know part of that is my diet, but for me, its hard to get motivated on my diet when I'm not working out at all. I figure I'll work out for a week or so, get that in check, then start tweaking my diet. Baby steps so I don't burn myself out. I want this to be a long term plan.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
My prognosis for '13 was and is fair. I give myself a C. Did not "pencil" in enough time for my cycling. Eating is getting better. My wife and I are slowly making the conversion to "whole" foods.

We went away for our 25th anniversary (d-world/miami beach/sema) and on the whole trip we ate good, one large meal and very lite the other two/three. Kept our cocktails to a minimum. Walked massive amounts at D-world and SEMA and i still gained 3 lbs. So I now, at 47, have to watch my intake more than ever. When i'm on my bike, i usually ride 1 to 1.5 hours AT SPEED.

I still haven't met with a nutrionalist. Just did testing at an allergy doctor (our deductible is paid and my wife made the appt for the both of us). I'm pretty much allergic to any green lol. Which i've known for years, which is why i've always eaten good and exercised. But this getting older thing is strange. I've got to adjust/dial in as my body changes. Its like a carburetor , you have to adjust it for the differing variables life gives you......

So for next year, no real lofty goals, consistently ride and consistently eat better. Recognizing the need for change is the opposite of complacency....and bodies at rest stay in rest and bodies in motion stay in motion....
Mike, I think life requires continual adaptation. It become crucial as we age. In my opinion, you must live cleaner on average.

Good to hear you are proactively looking for improvement. I don't think we can ever know to much or try to many new things. It's the accumulation of small improvements that lead to optimal health. I know I'm still learning lessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code510 View Post
I'm pretty excited because lately I've been able to open up my schedule a bit.

I now have 35-45 minutes 4-5 times a week to work out. I do it first thing in the morning, before week. This week was my first week, so I just did some basic circuit training to get my body use to it again. This coming week I'll hit the weights a little harder.

Looking to drop some weight and just get in better shape. I know part of that is my diet, but for me, its hard to get motivated on my diet when I'm not working out at all. I figure I'll work out for a week or so, get that in check, then start tweaking my diet. Baby steps so I don't burn myself out. I want this to be a long term plan.
Good for you, I couldn't get by without working out at this point. My body revolts as I've worked out consistently for 18 years now. I used to drown my sorrows and stress in beer. Now, I run or lift weights. It works better and no hangover.

Nutrition really is everything. A buddy and I met at a local gym for a run this week. I was a member for many years in the past and recognized many of the same people. They looked to be in similar shape, just older. They appear to have the fitness consistency but making no progression.

The moral of the story is that dialing in your nutrition is the key to the physique you desire. You don't have to kill yourself in the gym. I work out 2 hours a week and stay fit. It's what you do a majority of time that matters. You can still enjoy rich foods a minority of the time and have good results.