Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 02-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Update on my progress...
I have cut out all sodas, the headaches only lasted for a couple of days...
I've cut out 95% of sugars...
I've cut out 95% of wheat-based products...
My weight is down to 260 (from 275) over the 6 weeks or so...
Feeling and sleeping much better...
Have ALMOST stopped smoking completely. That last 5-10 per day are a real struggle but I feel cutting back from 30+ a day is heading in the right direction...
I read an article a couple of weeks ago that goes right along with the recommendations you guys have shared. It explained a LOT!!!

http://www.sott.net/article/242516-H...-heart-disease

"Liquidating excess cash through the automotive hobby!"
Old 02-14-2014, 08:57 PM

Russ, good for you buddy. Keep opening that spicket and making measurable progress!

I read that article and came to one conclusion. Eat a diet how GOD intended and you won't have any problems. Let man get his hands on it, well, good luck to you.

It really comes down to balance and what you do a MAJORITY of the time. Me, I eat a plant based, whole food diet with quality meats. If I read a label and can't pronounce it or don't know what it is, I don't want to eat. I find it to be pretty easy:

Elk
Spinach
Blueberries
Wild Salmon
Brown Rice
Raw Almonds
Granny Smith Apple

You get the point....
Old 02-22-2014, 08:54 AM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Some of you may be taking additional supplements --- be wary of this....

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2014/...1081393044810/
Old 02-22-2014, 02:57 PM

22 miles at a slow 9:30 pace today. It was all about time on feet and not speed. Getting ready for ky derby marathon in April
Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Happy Valentines Day Sweetheart!
How'd I miss this....
Old 03-28-2014, 11:51 PM

GOD, Family, Country

Like everything in this life, it goes back to the basic fundamentals. Once you lose site of them, things start to go haywire. As I've posted in the past, the median age that depression onsets in this country is now only 15 years of age. That HALF what it was 30 years ago! Why?

I've been studying psychology on and off for the last 6 months or so. The major factor I have found is the transition from GOD, Family, Country to the maximum self. While it's important to take full responsibility for yourself, actions, and circumstances, that only gets you so far. Sustainable joy and purpose are found outside of ourselves. We, alone, are a weak source of sustainable happiness and fulfillment.

GOD

Regardless if you believe in GOD or any other spiritual means, having faith in something bigger than yourself is the biggest piece of the life puzzle. You must have faith in yourself and your future. The bible shows up on every scholars list of the greatest books ever written. It's a powerful compass of faith.

Family

Having others to live for is also a major factor. Why work so hard? Keep progressing? Try to obtain a certain lifestyle? It's for them...

Country

Contrary to modern belief, most people are still good. Your contribution to society is very important. It can be as little as a smile or hello in public to providing opportunity to others. For instance, providing employment that helps sustain a family outside of your immediate.

"When the why gets strong, the how gets easy" -Jim Rohn
Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 PM

I love me some Bison. It has less calories than beef, more protein, less saturated fat, and less cholesterol. It's become my favorite animal protein.

http://www.bisonbasics.com/nutrition...mparison2.html
Old 06-04-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I love me some Bison. It has less calories than beef, more protein, less saturated fat, and less cholesterol. It's become my favorite animal protein.

http://www.bisonbasics.com/nutrition...mparison2.html
But saturated fat is THE best fat for you, contrary to popular beliefs. For this reason, I love beef from grass fed cows. It's a lot juicier compared to bison too. Taste better, better for you.

I'm trying my hand at some square foot gardening and so far the veggies are growing like gang busters. NO miracle grow or other chemical crap needed. I mixed up peat, vermiculite, and 3 different brands of organic compost (no cow ****!). Mix and dump in a 4'x4'x8" deep box and were are growing carrots, white onions, green onions, snap peas, a variety of bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach and lettuce. Growing food is like printing your own money... its great eats too.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:35 AM

Hey buddy, I like chocolate ice cream, you like vanilla.

Kelli and I took a course one Saturday at the local community college on gardening in the desert. It was enough for me to decide against it. If you miss one day of watering, you can lose a plant. We actually have a short growing season due to the time available in spring and fall. If I lived in the Midwest, you bet. Nothing like home grown produce.

Good to see you back.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:37 PM

Health: A delicate balance of body, mind, and soul.

The mind can devour a healthy body and a rotten body can shape the attitude of a sound mind. A lack of faith in yourself, your future, and something bigger than yourself can bankrupt you in the form of joy, happiness, and fulfillment.

Which makes the greatest difference? That's a tough question. They all make a large contribution to ultimate health. My opinion is that you can have a sound body and mind and still lack great spirit. I know that great strides in a healthier body and mind lead to greater happiness and being. At some point they do become the new "normal" and that new car smell wears off. I think that a healthy spirit can lead to long term fulfillment.

Some of the majors:

Productivity: We must produce positive results. Whether it's work, marriage, or family. Do the best you can.

Friendships/Helping Others: Friends can be a great support system. Investing your time for the benefit of another is one of life's greatest sustainable joys.

Exercise: The body is meant to move, stretch, and be challenged. Start with a walk around the block if you have to. Four thirty minute workouts a weeks is all you need. You can't find the time?

Nutrition: Study, Track, Experiment... You are what you eat. I don't personally believe that you need to be a Vegan. I also don't believe you should eat a 20 oz steak everyday either. My philosophy is to eat a whole food diet. I like my diet to be in the 75% plant based category with lean meat a majority of the time. Bison, Wild Salmon, I do thing you can eat steak, eggs, ice cream in moderation. I eat healthy 90% of the time. I've studied and experimented enough with nutrition that I can fine tune my weight easily without tracking. Just a tweak in my intake. Usually meat and alcohol as my tendency is to start sliding back where I came from.

Growth: I do an hour of personal development everyday of my life. I'm always reading a new book, listening to one of my 75+ cd's, developing a new skill.

New Experiences: Life can get dull, don't close the door on new ideas and ways of thinking or doing. You may just find something you will enjoy the rest of your days.

Rest: I take a 10 minute rest EVERY afternoon. Call it meditation or a nap, whatever. I'll lay my seat back in my car while at work or lean back in my favorite chair here at the house. Did you know that most of our presidents took a nap everyday in the oval office?

Attitude/Perspective: I do believe that it is a choice to take the high road. However, I think you need new ideas from those that have come before you and have achieved greater success. If you have thought a certain way for 50 years, you need new ammunition to dispute your own conscience. And it will be a challenge and will take a disciplined effort.

Fun: When I first started to overhaul my life, it wasn't any damn fun after a while. It's one thing to make progress and be disciplined, but you have to laugh and have a good time!

Persistence: Not giving up is a form of faith. Even when the cards seem stacked against you, persisting and finishing the job or achieving your goal. Self discipline is one of life's requirements. We must be consistent and it's up to US.

Reflection/Results: I like to use a journal to record my major thoughts and life altering ideas. I also like an accountability partner and to actually look at my numbers, goals and tweak as necessary.

Optimism/Faith: A tough minded optimist see's the challenge as it is, the difference is that he also see's what it can be. He has faith that by doing the right things, there will never be any lack in his life.

Assumptions/Judgments: It's easy to make a negative judgment or assumption against another person. It's a slippery slope. I have been working on this one for a while. I force myself to make a positive assumption of judgement or kill it. Of course there are times that have greater weight and need a negative view. However, I've found that 90% of the time, it's a waste of mental energy.

Love: Making a conscious effort to grow the relationship with your wife and family. Maybe it's you that needs to change? I've found that through all my growth, people are attracted to me and their attitudes have changed.

Religion: I personally believe in God and the lessons of the bible. I think it's a major, major piece of your ultimate health and quality of life.

Lifestyle: The ultimate challenge of life. It's like your favorite recipe. A little of this and a little of that. What delicate balance of life's majors works for you?

Do I have it all figure out? Nope, I don't think that is possible. I do keep adding more value to my life and learning, that is key.

Last edited by Vegas69; 06-08-2014 at 09:47 PM.