Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-06-2006, 12:00 PM

Default Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Schein
I didn’t read this whole thread its late, But we do have a jig at 21st century to narrow the rear cradle. The front could be done just as easy we also have a solution to use the c5 diff with transmission bolted to the back of the engine just want to give some other options.

Also it is not as easy as just bolting on a set of our steering arms you need our modified rack with it mounted in the location we mount it on our frames as well as the same exact track width. We spent a lot of time with the bump steer gage so just throwing a set of our steering arms on there wont due you much with out the exact same specs as our sub frame.

Hello Brian,

Thanks very much for the info and help !!! I'm going to setup the jig to stock specs and see if that works before I start to build the frame. Looks like I'm still going to need to split the car - so I will trial fit the stock suspension and engine locations at that time. If it doesn't fit and I need to lower and/or shorten the deal - I'll give you guys a yell to save me from myself.

Thanks again ! Jim
Old 07-06-2006, 02:49 PM

I built a 356 speedster years ago for my wife. It was a CMC replica but sure looked nice when I finished. Anyhow. It sure seems that if your going to do this kind of install that the whole floor and firewall will be removed leaving just a outer shell. It seems that you would be able to move the seats towards the doors a little and have enough room for the torque tube. The tube is not that big anyhow. I know the seats in these Porsches are mounted towards the center of the car so they sit down in the pan but with this kind of car you might can remove those huge rockers and move the seats over. I would hate to under take cutting that car in half. Go get a flared fiberglass tube for $2000 rather than cutting that original. Its going to be killer project no matter what you do.

Mike
Old 07-06-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hall
I built a 356 speedster years ago for my wife. It was a CMC replica but sure looked nice when I finished. Anyhow. It sure seems that if your going to do this kind of install that the whole floor and firewall will be removed leaving just a outer shell. It seems that you would be able to move the seats towards the doors a little and have enough room for the torque tube. The tube is not that big anyhow. I know the seats in these Porsches are mounted towards the center of the car so they sit down in the pan but with this kind of car you might can remove those huge rockers and move the seats over. I would hate to under take cutting that car in half. Go get a flared fiberglass tube for $2000 rather than cutting that original. Its going to be killer project no matter what you do.

Mike
Hi Mike,

The car parked behind my 65 coupe is a CMC 57 Speedster Calf version with flares (at the top of the thread). I've had it for many years. I really thought about doing this to the speedster - but changed my mind - even after a couple years of night school at Purdue taking Composites classes. Convertibles here in Indy are a pretty limited usage car. It rains quite a bit - and then all summer it's drippy humid. Guess I'm getting old - but I chose to have real windows and A/C so I can drive it most of the year. I plan to pattern and template the frame and stuff so I can replicate the frame - and maybe I will do the speedster too.... we'll see what the wife has to say about that one ...

Jim
Attached Images

Last edited by Garage Dog 65; 07-06-2006 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-06-2006, 03:59 PM

Nice CMC. I will go find my pictures of the CMC i built. It had a 200hp stroker motor with quad weber 44 carbs. I had well over $6K into the motor alone on that car. I ended up selling the car after I finished it because there was no way my wife could have drove it. It had on off switch power which I could not even get used to. LOL I will say that those flat 4s sure sound bad to the bone with a big merged exhaust and single turbo muffler.

You should be able to notch or remove those rockers to move the seats over to make room for the tunel. I still dont think I would cut the car in half. You could always flare the fenders and quarters to fit the wheels under. I think that car could use some flares to make it look mean.

mike
Old 07-06-2006, 04:09 PM

Default 200 Hp !!!!

1200 pound plastic car + 200 hp flat 4 = pure heat baby !

Nice to see the sickness continues !
Old 07-06-2006, 04:18 PM

LOL, The guy that built the engine up in ATL asked what the engine was going in and he just laughed when i told him it was a replica 356 speedster. Proflow performance was the name of the company if I remember righ. He has the fastest bug on this side of the states. Or at leat he did when he built my engine.

Mike
Old 07-07-2006, 09:14 PM

Default I'm new too

Looks like a great project and a beutiful car to start out with. I will like to see the finished project. That is quite a torque tube. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:51 AM

Default Wow !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob johnson
drop by the Cuda and see us..you might want to discuss the driveline with Alan..do you have the vertical space for the engine up front? How far back are you sitting it?
Wow, the G Force is awsome in person !!! I gawked over it for a long time - several times. And all the people around it.....geez. I would love to see that up off the ground to get to look at all the artwork. It was just impossible to get close to you for an introduction. I got there right as they started to judge it at 9 - so you were busy. Came I back before lunch - you were gone - came back at 2 and you and Alan started it up and drove off. But, I did get to hear that baby run - that exhaust sound is wicked sir !!! Sorry I missed you. Maybe I'll catch you at the Mopar Nats.

Hope you had a great weekend and get a chance to rest up a bit.

Wow is all I can say !!!!!

Last edited by Garage Dog 65; 06-28-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 PM

Default Get to work ...

Hi All !

Been a couple months. Between people in the family having surgury and/or putting in a bunch of posts around the garden - I havn't made much progress on the project. But I do read all the posts here each day for motivation ! Thanks !!!

Purchased a BER 2002 convertable vette chassis a while back and have it setup on the jig now with all the suspension in place. Amazed that someone would burn a vette for the insurance - instead of drive it - or set a guys vette on fire for revenge - takes all kinds... Took several weekends getting all the burned up carpet, pads, seats, wiring, dash, and what was an endless carbon mess out of the car. Once I got down to the bottom - there was no damage to the composite floor pans - had it been a coupe, it would have melted clean to the ground. No damage to the frame.

Now in the process of the 4 wheel alignment and building the suspension jig. Then the vette chassis gets sold - drop the porsche on the jig and get the whiz wheel going.

The porsche is up on stands with the front suspension stripped out now and just finishing pulling the trans and stuff out of the back.

A little progress each day.... NEVER surrender !

Jim
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2006, 01:11 PM

Wow looks like your moving along. i have customer who is wanting us to build an 356 coupe with modern porsche drivetrain. I'm trying to talk him into a tube chassis to make room.

Rodger