Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 PM

Nice, informative thread. It all comes down, I think, to personal preference and finances.
The comparison of subframes (the most reputable ones , at least) is similar to comparing a BMW 5 Series to a Benz E-Class, if you will. Some will say the Benz handles and rides better, and some will say the BMW is more comfortable and has more power, or vice versa.
Bottom line is, both are great cars, comparable in price and amenities and they are more than capable of yielding very similar results, overall. Which would you spend your money on? Same as the subframes...personal preference...for the same basic design, they ALL pretty much do the same thing. All be it, some do things better than others, but they also lack where others excel.

This is coming from a guy that purchased a Martz Chassis sub-frame a loooong time ago, because of budget issues and the only real competition at that time was Wayne Due, and he was so swamped, he wasn't taking on any more orders.

My Martz Chassis works well. I can't compare it to any of the others, as I don't own any of the rest. But I can say that I have rode in a DSE sub-framed Camaro, Jim Meyer sub-framed Camaro, a TCI Camaro, and a modified-stock sub-framed 69 Nova. To me, the Jim Meyer sub-frame was the best ride out of all of them....even my Martz.

DSE seems to be the most popular, i'm guessing, because of the publicity and so forth. I like the complete system that they offer. And I see a lot more DSE equipped cars than the others, out here in Cali. Just an observation.

If I had to do it all over again, I would go with an Art Morrison set-up, due to the fact that it has a lot of stock GM parts that can be replaced locally, quick and inexpensively.

Just my .02
Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs 67Camaro View Post
GrabberGT,

Are you running the TCI Coil overs? If so, how do they compare to the ridetechs or QA1's?

Thanks
Actually am running Varishocks front and rear. I have no experience with the others to make a comparison.

Its not a Vega!!!!

Total Cost Involved - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - Fatman - MaverickMan Carbon
Old 12-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

okay i toss in my 3 cents here.

Here is my take on it. If the goal is to build a great car that does well at the track and you want to have plenty of money left over. People really need to look at Hotchkis, Bell Tech, Speed Tech & Ride Tech.

1. Hotchkis, Bell Tech, Speed Tech & Ride Tech -- Front Suspension
You can swap out the parts on your driveway and car is never down
Cost is increadible inexpensive compared to a full frame swap

2. Hotchkis, Bell Tech -- Rear Suspension
Yep once again on your driveway

3. Ride Tech ( Coil Ride )
Minimal welding needed on the rear suspension.
Fully Adjusable and easy to install

One very important thing to consider if you don't have a bunch of money. I repeat NEVER, did I say NEVER every take your car apart further then simple bolt on modifications. If you do you are opening pandora's box and you may never get your car back together.

Trust me I seen tons of projects end up being sold because people lost interest and or money. In most case these cars should have never been taken apart in the first place. Taking a car apart in the "CHEAPEST" part of the project. Finding time and money to put it back together is the most expensive part of any project.

Just look at Mary's Camaro with minimal money against a full blown $20,000 DSE chassis car. That lady ain't doing so bad in my book. I betting you Mary & Dave are really sharp for a reason and they can afford to eat place's that don't have a dollar menu.

My personal choice for my next project is Ride Tech's new Coil-Over Set up and a good set of Brakes from Kore3. For the money how can you beat it.

If I really needed a subframe my first choice would be SpeedTech then Art Morrison. If you were to damage any of the parts it's just a quick trip to the local parts store to get parts.

That being said cosmetically the DSE stuff is just beautiful but it's just not in the budget on my next project. I need to keep some money for my kids college education.

One more thing that's cool about Ride Tech - who else would sell a Billet Yo Yo !!!!!

https://www.ridetech.com/store/index...confirmation=Y

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale

Last edited by syborg tt; 12-10-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:05 PM

and there you have it from the guy who just finished his project, and probably has a good idea what he is talking about
Old 12-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer69 View Post
and there you have it from the guy who just finished his project, and probably has a good idea what he is talking about
You couldn't have said it better. Been there Done that.

I learned a bunch building Syborg and where and how to save money. Really how many people actually have the time to hit all the events that require you to have a full blown track car. People have lost perspective and really guys most of us are building a car that we are going to drive back and fourth to work and hit a few shows a year.

Get in them and drive them and keep some of that money in your pocket for other things. Maybe even some new parts for the car or even a paint job.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale