Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 04-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

You caught me Scott! I figured I would sign up so I can answer any questions from time to time. This chassis is a new part for us, one of the first cars to use this type of chassis is a 70 Challenger being built by Bobby Alloway that will debut at Coumbus. Here is a pic.
If I can answer any questions, please let me know!

Last edited by CraigMorrison; 04-01-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Welcome, Craig. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and checking out Lateral-g.

The chassis is definitely something that interests me, and by the looks of it, several others as well. From what Don told me, my Baer brakes won't work with the spindles that you're using with the tubular control arms. Would I have any other options?

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 04-01-2005, 01:44 PM

If Baer makes a kit that can bolt up to a MustangII spindle, they sure should work on our chassis. Or are you talking about a Baer kit for a stock Camaro spindle? Also, when I say MustangII PLEASE!!! don't think the geometery is stock MustangII!!! It is dramatically different from what was used under this car. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the welcome. I am on a few other sites, and it is always fun to talk with fellow gearheads.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Welcome Craig...Looks like a killer product!
Old 04-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Hmmmm,I like that

Last edited by jonny51; 04-01-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:23 PM

First off, welcome Craig to the forum. Thanks for joining to help us out here.

Here is a response that i got to my original post on PT.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt.com post
I talked with Don from the Art Morrison booth at a recent trade show about the MaxG chassis. Since on one else has said anything yet and I do this kind of thing for a living I`ll take a quick stab at your questions.
1) Let`s not kid anyone,it`s a huge amount of work.
2) Better is a tricky word. The front suspension and R&P look to have pretty good geometry. The rear suspension they recoment for ProTouring use is their triangulated 4 link. That has it`s geometry problems but they`ve done some work to correct them by lowering the roll center and reducing torsional binding to at least some extent. I`d rather see it with a road race style 3 link with watts linkage or panhard but for a tri4link it looks decent. The one BIG advantage would be chassis rigidity and overall strength. Not only would you have a full box section frame but the method of installation welds the unibody/floor right to the frame throughout the car.
3) Just an educated guess but probably more than a custom front clip and 3 link,less than custom front and *good* IRS. That is if you`re paying someone to do it.
4) Just looking at pics and talking to Don.
5) I`d build my own chassis and suspension from scratch. But then as I said,I do this stuff for a living. YYMV Marcus SC&C
Craig, can you elaborate on the solid axle rear suspension setup that you guys are running with this frame?
Why did you choose it over other solutions?
How does this setup perform in overall handling and straight line performance in a car with 700+ hp?
How do you feel this setup compares to other solutions like the "road race style 3 link with watts linkage or panhard" setup?
Is there any other options other than IRS to go with that would help/improve some of the "geometry problems" that were mentioned in this response?
What is your reccomended setup and why, for a street car putting 700+ hp to the ground, IRS or Solid Rear with your 4 link?
What advantages or disadvantages would your full frame setup give us first gen camaro owners over going with a custom 3-link rear, sub frame connectors, and an aftermarket front subframe?
Roughly speaking I am looking at spending 10K for a fully loaded front clip, subframe connectors, and custom rear suspension. How does that compare to going to your full frame setup?

My personal goals (along with everyone else in the world ) are a good all around compromise of Street driving, 1/4 mile racing, and high speed road track racing in that order.

I am not a suspension expert, in fact i am quite a newbie to this stuff. I just like to do my homework and research as much as possible.

Last edited by Nutsy; 04-01-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:01 PM

Craig

I am seriously interested in the frame, any prices you can share with us? How about if 3-4 of us wanted one at the same time?

By the way welcome to the site, you are welcome here, this place is different than any other site I have been to, thats why I stay here. By the way, Alloway's builds are so cool. A good eye can pick one of his builds froma mile away, especially his 32's.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:00 PM

Nutsy- I haven't forgotten your questions, just working on the answers!
Old 04-04-2005, 05:46 PM

That's a sweet frame. How much does it weight?
Old 04-04-2005, 07:19 PM

This frame, in bare form - without front & rear suspension components, looks like what JP used on IIMuch. If I recall correctly, he basically had to build the floorpan and firewall from scratch.

Craig, has this changed or can the stock floorpans and firewalls work with this chassis?? Any possibilities that the rear susepension can be made a parrallel 4-bar or more-so a 3-link for ultimate performance?

Ryan