Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 08-11-2019, 09:34 PM

Default LS7 Dry sump oil line routing

Hey I'm looking for some advise with oil lines for an LS7 swap into a 69 camaro with a DSE subframe. I'm looking to place the oil tank behind the inner fender well on the passenger side and not to sure about running the lines over the top of the inner fender well. looking for options
Thanks Dave
Old 08-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Hi Dave. I'm far from an expert here and certainly not an expert on doing this to a 69. That said, I just finished mock-up of this on my 70 and offer my path.
Some things to consider:
How to fill the tank...I ended up fab'n a remote fill tank and plumbed it to the oil tank with -12. Original plan was to do a remote port just inside on top of the firewall but I didn't place it very well and it ended up in a bad spot for filling...too close to the hood. Check out Steve Lenning's build, he did a good job with placement if you go this route.

How to check the level.....I used a Lokar locking dipstick and added an NPT port to the tank along with a guide tube inside the tank.

How to drain the tank....I plumbed a -10 line to a drain spout with a cap around the frame to the area right behind the subframe mount, safe from front tire debris. I haven't posted the pics of this yet but will soon.

Tank size... I used an AVIAID 2.5 gallon, 7.5"x14" tank.

Ports on the tank.....The inlet (top of the tank), should point directly straight down the line of fender. I would have had AVIAID move the lower port to 30 degrees toward the inside of the car, in relation to the upper line. The purpose here is to get the port pointed away from the inner fender so you have clearance for the 90 degree fitting to get the line headed up over the fender.

Creating the space for the tank.....my thread shows how I did it. There are a few others that have great details as well. Again Steve's is great and I know there are a couple guys that have details doing a 69, including Stielow.

My Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53320
Old 08-12-2019, 03:52 PM

Lines need to run low for a gravity feed so the pump works right. Lucky the LS7 pan has two drain bolts so you only have to worry about fitting the tank. Look
at Hellfire and Jackass 2.0 builds as to how Mark has put the tanks in that area.
colorado80439 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosesdad View Post
Hi Dave. I'm far from an expert here and certainly not an expert on doing this to a 69. That said, I just finished mock-up of this on my 70 and offer my path.
Some things to consider:
How to fill the tank...I ended up fab'n a remote fill tank and plumbed it to the oil tank with -12. Original plan was to do a remote port just inside on top of the firewall but I didn't place it very well and it ended up in a bad spot for filling...too close to the hood. Check out Steve Lenning's build, he did a good job with placement if you go this route.

How to check the level.....I used a Lokar locking dipstick and added an NPT port to the tank along with a guide tube inside the tank.

How to drain the tank....I plumbed a -10 line to a drain spout with a cap around the frame to the area right behind the subframe mount, safe from front tire debris. I haven't posted the pics of this yet but will soon.

Tank size... I used an AVIAID 2.5 gallon, 7.5"x14" tank.

Ports on the tank.....The inlet (top of the tank), should point directly straight down the line of fender. I would have had AVIAID move the lower port to 30 degrees toward the inside of the car, in relation to the upper line. The purpose here is to get the port pointed away from the inner fender so you have clearance for the 90 degree fitting to get the line headed up over the fender.

Creating the space for the tank.....my thread shows how I did it. There are a few others that have great details as well. Again Steve's is great and I know there are a couple guys that have details doing a 69, including Stielow.

John, what is your engine setup again? I ask because some people have had issues running the small 2.5 gallon tank.... most run at least a 3 gallon.... pretty sure Stielow's are all 3 gallon or more.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 08-12-2019, 07:04 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
John, what is your engine setup again? I ask because some people have had issues running the small 2.5 gallon tank.... most run at least a 3 gallon.... pretty sure Stielow's are all 3 gallon or more.
Dave, the Peterson LS7 tank that 90 percent of the pro touring guys are running is a 2.5 gallon tank. I was a little concerned I'd need to go to a 3 gallon with the Dailey dry sump swap, but per Bill Dailey, the 2.5 gallon was okay. He was more concerned about total volume in the system.

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40

Last edited by Matt@BOS; 08-12-2019 at 07:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt@BOS For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
Lines need to run low for a gravity feed so the pump works right. Lucky the LS7 pan has two drain bolts so you only have to worry about fitting the tank. Look
at Hellfire and Jackass 2.0 builds as to how Mark has put the tanks in that area.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...psq7enrlm3.jpg

I guess my question is how/where do I run the line from the tank to the pan and keep positive gravity feed, I would like to go in front of the headers. Maybe a hard line passing through the subframe, I would like and easier route
Old 08-12-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado80439 View Post
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...psq7enrlm3.jpg

I guess my question is how/where do I run the line from the tank to the pan and keep positive gravity feed, I would like to go in front of the headers. Maybe a hard line passing through the subframe, I would like and easier route
I think depending on the headers the lines do normally run in front of them. You can run them under the frame where it kicks up?
Old 08-13-2019, 10:17 AM

What do you guys think about running the tank outlet line up and over the inner fender? Pressure issues?

My Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53320
Old 08-13-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@BOS View Post
Dave, the Peterson LS7 tank that 90 percent of the pro touring guys are running is a 2.5 gallon tank. I was a little concerned I'd need to go to a 3 gallon with the Dailey dry sump swap, but per Bill Dailey, the 2.5 gallon was okay. He was more concerned about total volume in the system.
Maybe so, but with a serious build I would make a 3 gallon fit. There are 3 known places where guys have placed the 3 gallon tank on 1st and 2nd gen Camaros. And with a serious build I wouldn't mess around. That's me.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 08-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Maybe so, but with a serious build I would make a 3 gallon fit. There are 3 known places where guys have placed the 3 gallon tank on 1st and 2nd gen Camaros. And with a serious build I wouldn't mess around. That's me.
No doubt! More volume is always better.

With regard to this post, if "behind the inner fender" means cut into the cowl, then I'd recommend going with a 3 gallon as well since you're going through the trouble of making something fit.

On a side note, I'd be curious to know if Steilow added to the Peterson reservoir on his builds. All of the ones I remember seeing mounted the dry sump against the core support, and if my memory serves, they were all 2.5 gallon because there is no room to go any deeper.

Matt

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40