Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoabill View Post
Thanks let me know, I found a motor with one on eBay, but kind of hate to buy a motor just to get the connector.

Bill
I didn't have any luck finding a new connector.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:30 PM

Thanks for looking, I bought the fan motor with connector on eBay, figured having a spare fan motor could not hurt.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 PM

When you get it, see if it has any kind of PN on it.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 PM

Have one here, this is all that's on it:

48769 4
PA6 GF15
PA6GF30

PA6 likely a reference to the connector material.

Aftermarket (crash part) mfg's are making replacement fan assemblies that come with the connector so someone has to be making it
Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I have figured out that there are many Mercedes Benz cars with similar PWM modules that appear to use the same connectors. That makes the search for used connectors a little easier but Mercedes also does not sell new connectors separately.

According to some threads on the Corvette forums there have been connector failures. Not surprising since they have to carry high amperage and are just spade terminal connections.

Since the end of the PWM module is conducive to potting, we are considering just soldering wires directly to the pins for the best conductivity and then potting with an electrical grade potting material.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:58 AM

This picture shows where we decided to mount the Corvette PWM modules.

Only one module shown in these pictures.

A second module will be mounted on the outboard side of the same bracket.

The stray wires are prepared and ready to be plugged into the second module.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:08 AM

These forums have allowed us to speed up so much of our learning that I feel compelled to "give back" in order to help others the same way.

Dave Mikels, (Mikels Performance Engineering) works closely with Brian Thomson (Thomson Automotive Engines) to create serious but dependable Horsepower for the likes of Mark Stielow (Red Devil, Mayhem, Camaro XV).

That is impressive but what I find most admirable is that Dave and Brian have not let their success go to their heads.

What I mean by that is I was impressed when I called their business and they answered the phone personally.

They each put a high priority on first learning what I wanted in my application vs. just rattling off what they have to sell off their shelf.

They did not make me feel stupid when I asked them the same questions I know they have answered a thousand times before.

Unfortunately, similar businesses that have enjoyed as much success as Dave and Brian have evolved into a take it or leave it approach to customers.

Those of you who have been following this thread have seen first hand how willing Dave is to help people figure things out and benefit from his experience.

He is the obvious choice for me. I spend my hard earned money carefully. I'm actually proud to be one of his new customers.

Thanks to Dave's knowledge, we are getting a lot more than just a performance tune matched to select Thomson engine upgrades.

We're also getting seamless integration of PWM fan control, Reverse Lockout without a need for a separate switch and Vintage Air A/C.

In case it helps your own builds, here is the Lou's Change set up and what Dave is doing for us right now:

ENGINE:
We are starting with a brand new LSA crate motor
We swapped out the CTS-V Intercooler top hat with a new ZL1 top hat. (I'm pretty sure that was an idea Brian suggested to me when he talked to me early on in the build. I had no idea they could be swapped out so easily)

ENGINE MODS:
Supercharger Pulley change (2.56:1 to 3:1)
Cam Swap (Thomson Spec.)
Valve springs (Thomson Spec.)
Injectors (Thomson Automotive Spec.)

ENGINE CONTROLLER:
We are using the GM Performance Parts E67 LSA controller that came with our LSA crate engine.

FUEL SYSTEM:
We have the full Vaporworx system installed in our DSE tank complete with the fuel pump and controller they provide (rated for up to 1000 HP).
We will use Dave's advised 450kPa fuel pressure

ENGINE COOLING:
We have a C&R cooling module along with the 2 fans they provided (rated for up to 1000 HP)
We have installed 2 brand new PWM fan control modules like those used in the C6 Corvette.

INTERCOOLING:
We are running a Mazierre 55 GPM intercooler pump
We are using the same intercooler heat exchanger used in the GT500 complete with fans.

AIR CONDITIONING:
We are using the Vintage Air Generation 4 A/C system
We are using a Sandene Compressor
We have installed a GM A/C pressure switch
We are still using the Vintage Air Trinary switch to the control compressor

TRANSMISSION:
Brand new T56 Magnum
We have a Vehicle Speed Sensor installed and connected to the VSS lead that was included in the GMPP engine harness as purchased.

REAR END:
Ford 9 inch with 3.7 gear ratio

HERE IS WHAT Dave is doing for us:

Installing pin out and a labeled wire for the PWM control module.
Installing pin out and a labeled wire for the GM A/C pressure sensor.
Installing pin out and a labeled wire for reverse lock out.

CAL:
Capture original factory Cal

Enable and program PWM fan control:
- PWM vs. Discreet
- 128 Hz PWM frequency
- 204 degrees engine coolant = 10% duty cycle
- 235 degrees engine coolant = 90% duty cycle

Program fan control parameters for “after run”:
- If engine coolant temp. greater than 235 degrees or A/C pressure greater than 260 psi at key off = 50% duty cycle until engine coolant drops below 230 degrees AND A/C pressure drops below 241 psi.
- Otherwise, fans shut off after 2 minutes regardless of temperatures.

Enable Vehicle Speed Sensor control of reverse lock out.

Reprogram table for AC pressure control of fans. In order to use Vintage Air/ Sandene compressor, need to change table as follows:
- Fans all in at 90% duty cycle at 260 psi as measured by GM A/C pressure sensor.

LSA Engine Performance tune per modifications selected
- Supercharger Pulley change (2.56:1 to 3:1)
- Cam Swap
- Valve springs
- Injectors

I'm suspicious Dave and Brian will have some more suggestions before we're done. I'll post what we learn as we go and report back to validate how it all worked.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:14 AM

This thread is priceless and these are some of the issues we have all been faced with.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:25 PM

Just curious what is going on with the pwm controllers on this car? Did you ever find the connectors, Is it working?
Old 08-11-2013, 03:37 PM

The car is in body and paint right now. As soon as it is out we will begin assembly and report how it all worked.

We sent the ECM to Mikels Performance and he did the tune and all the modifications mentioned above. Since he has done the same things for Stielow's last few cars we do not expect any big surprises, but we'll close the loop in this thread relative to how the fan controls work.