Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-20-2021, 06:55 PM

Default Can you truly make a ‘69 Chevelle drive smooth/tight/new???

Is it possible to truely make one of these cars drive smooth/tight/new???

I currently have an ‘18 Camaro SS 1LE which has only 1400 miles on it which is 100% stock and unmolested. I love the car, but I rarely get to drive it and don’t truely ‘enjoy’ it because the damn this is so damn nice, I don’t want to mess with it at all. I miss tinkering with a car and would love to ‘build’ something or atleast update it along the way. My 1LE is pretty much ‘too much’ car for what I’m doing…which is basically cruising.

With the way the car market is, I’m thinking of unloading my 1LE for a hefty profit and finally getting a restomod/pro-touring car like I’ve always dreamed of doing.

I’d love a black ‘69 Chevelle (or maybe Camaro) with an LS3 (or LS7) and a T56, that can drive smooth, tight, rattle and knock free! Stockish style suspension wether it be global west, hotckis, umi, bmr or whoever to achieve this is fine. I’m not looking to build a track car, but rather a GOOD cruiser that drives damn well and won’t make me regret selling my current like new 1LE.

Buying a roller that has the body work done, a turn-key car with stock suspension (that I can then update myself) or anything in between is fine with me. I could care less about it being an SS or whatnot, but I just want a GOOD restoration to ‘new’ with a current drivetrain and whatever off the shelf parts are needed to achieve my goal.

I’m asking this because any older muscle car I’ve driven has been half assed and drove like a damn tractor. I want something that is proper, if that’s even possible.

So, is what I’m seeking honestly possible?
Old 10-20-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakillerta View Post
Is it possible to truely make one of these cars drive smooth/tight/new???

I currently have an ‘18 Camaro SS 1LE which has only 1400 miles on it which is 100% stock and unmolested. I love the car, but I rarely get to drive it and don’t truely ‘enjoy’ it because the damn this is so damn nice, I don’t want to mess with it at all. I miss tinkering with a car and would love to ‘build’ something or atleast update it along the way. My 1LE is pretty much ‘too much’ car for what I’m doing…which is basically cruising.

With the way the car market is, I’m thinking of unloading my 1LE for a hefty profit and finally getting a restomod/pro-touring car like I’ve always dreamed of doing.

I’d love a black ‘69 Chevelle (or maybe Camaro) with an LS3 (or LS7) and a T56, that can drive smooth, tight, rattle and knock free! Stockish style suspension wether it be global west, hotckis, umi, bmr or whoever to achieve this is fine. I’m not looking to build a track car, but rather a GOOD cruiser that drives damn well and won’t make me regret selling my current like new 1LE.

Buying a roller that has the body work done, a turn-key car with stock suspension (that I can then update myself) or anything in between is fine with me. I could care less about it being an SS or whatnot, but I just want a GOOD restoration to ‘new’ with a current drivetrain and whatever off the shelf parts are needed to achieve my goal.

I’m asking this because any older muscle car I’ve driven has been half assed and drove like a damn tractor. I want something that is proper, if that’s even possible.

So, is what I’m seeking honestly possible?
Yes you can.. you can make a old GM muscle car ad tight and as smooth as deep as your pocketes will allow. You can get them really good with good road feel and fairly good NVH within a reasonable budget ... what you are not going to do is get CTSV performance and NVH out of a 50 YO car.. for cheap..
Old 10-20-2021, 10:19 PM

A muscle car will always have a rawness that your new camaro doesn't possess. Plan on more noise and vibration regardless. If you are having trouble driving a newer car, wait until you fix up an older car. It comes down to you expectations. If you expect anything close to a new car in regards to feel and reliabililty, forget it. With a modern LS engine and top shelf suspension parts, you'll have a damn nice driver that will handle great and be more reliable for an old car.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:39 AM

We have a 2014 2SS/RS/1LE Camaro with 15,436 miles.
We have a 68 Camaro with 572ci fuel injection big block with 600 miles.

Hands down on the 68.., it handles not as well as the 1LE but the acceleration is so much more.

Brakes are critical on anything. Make SURE you add that to your build project.

My two cents is sell your 1LE only after you get the new build under your roof.

Please keep us updated. Thanks
Jim
Old 10-21-2021, 09:07 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

The short answer is yes. You can definitely get it to perform and feel like a new car.
The biggest factor you will not get out of a classic, is noise.
GM spends tons of $ on development all around... but noise is always one they're chasing. Aerodynamics plays a big part, but so does the placement of seals, underbody panels, etc.
Wind noise and general rattles and such will be nearly impossible to get rid of to a level of a new car.
You can definitely get it tolerable. Just needed to put that out there!

(Also just read Vegas69 said a similar point).

So, go for it!

www.ProTouringStore.com
Old 10-21-2021, 09:21 PM

You can get the car to drive and handle very good. Really the answer to your question boils down to your budget. It’s not a cheap endeavor by any means.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 10-22-2021, 02:53 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

What everyone else said...yes you can. But, easily plan on and expect a 6-figure build budget.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:45 PM

This guys take.....

Depending on how resourceful one is, I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to build a 'nice' (good starting point) early Chevelle w/an updated drivetrain, chassis, brakes, wheels & tires for less than what the current car is valued at. The current car can also be insured to drive anywhere, anytime, & it's ok for them to be outside overnight. 'Classics' will possibly be limited or costly to insure depending on how/when it's used so that's more to consider.

My stuff isn't special but they also aren't cookie-cutter stock either ('78 Malibu lowered/stock vibe; 89 Chevy lowered/bagged OE/stock looking patina-paint CC dually; '64 Chevy patina swb pick-up w/a fairly modified C/O equipped chassis). Not nearly as nice as many of the rides on here but they're still 'nice'. I'm scared to drive them anywhere that I can't keep eyes on them when doing overnight car events.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScotI For This Useful Post:
214Chevy (10-22-2021), camcojb (10-22-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevy View Post
What everyone else said...yes you can. But, easily plan on and expect a 6-figure build budget.
6 figures? I can see it if you want a show car/trailer queen but not for something you drive everyday or if you pay someone to build it for you.
I’m in my car around $40k but it’s a 10 footer that I drive everywhere. Grocery shopping, hardware store, I mean everywhere.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:14 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-ls1 View Post
6 figures? I can see it if you want a show car/trailer queen but not for something you drive everyday or if you pay someone to build it for you.
I’m in my car around $40k but it’s a 10 footer that I drive everywhere. Grocery shopping, hardware store, I mean everywhere.
Ok, maybe I should've said "upwards" of $100k. Of course there are variables in the equation to bring the price down...doing his own work, etc. But, we all know if you want a car that drives super nice, you can't cut corners and have to have some nice aftermarket parts from reputable manufactures which isn't cheap. Stock parts from 50 years ago just aren't going to cut it. Nothing wrong with stock, but the OP stated he wanted a car that drives like "new." That's what I'm basing it off of. It's all subjective though. But, my impression was he wants a car very similar to his late model Camaro and to me that's a nearly 6-figure build including the price of buying a nice donor and not a basket case for $5k that's a rust bucket to start with. Those type of cars already net $10k-$15k in parts and labor with metal replacement from the jump if you have a poor/raggedy car to start with.

Last edited by 214Chevy; 10-23-2021 at 08:56 AM.