Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-21-2013, 05:39 PM

Thanks to all that have been involved in making this such a great site. It is amazing how helpful these sites and the contributors are. Also, when you don't see any true PT rides running around your town and everybody looks at you funny when you try to explain what kind of car you are building, it is nice to be around people that "get it."
Old 11-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh3trinity View Post
Thanks to all that have been involved in making this such a great site. It is amazing how helpful these sites and the contributors are. Also, when you don't see any true PT rides running around your town and everybody looks at you funny when you try to explain what kind of car you are building, it is nice to be around people that "get it."
Very well said.

Skip
Old 11-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
Wow I'm user #79. Got in a lot earlier than I thought. I do remember this site coming off pro-touring.com. Always curious where Scott went to, knew he hadn't been posting.

Saw his car on power tour back in 2010 I believe but never got to meet him (just saw it parked).
I'm still around and I read what's going on. I just lurk and enjoy.

As many probably know, I stepped back from running the site and site ownership. I was overwhelmed with trying to balance my family, career, and the demands of running this site. I can't begin to explain the volume of hours it takes to maintain every facet of this site. From the SQL, software licensing, hosting problems, server loads, members having technical problems, advertising inquiries, advertising renewals, creating/changing banners, feature cars, drama between members, vendors problems, etc, etc, etc. It's a full time job.

The site was never about me. It was always about the community. I didn't feel the need to make a big announcement when there was a transition of ownership. I stepped back and felt the weight lift. I focused on my family and other things that I love. Primarily photography, but that's another story.

Now as for the history of this site, it goes back a loooooong way. I was one of the original members of PT.com (like #180 or something). It was in it's infancy. The movement didn't even have a common name. Every magazine had a different label for us (and Frieburger hated us). There were constant flame wars about how big the wheels had to be, bitching about two tone paint jobs - all that meaningless stuff.

I finally got fed up one day, and instead of complaining to Larry, I decided to just go do my own thing. By then, I had become good friends with Jody, Jeff and Brent and asked them, hey if I start a website, would you want to hang out? I registered the specific domain name Lateral-g.net on more or less a whim in the early summer of 2004. It had the basic premise of what we were all about (anti pro-street) and it had a G in it - for Gulbranson. lol

I started with phpBB, and freeware message board that at the time was preloaded in most Cpanel webhosting accounts. It just exploded. I think we got up close to 400 members in 4 months. By Thanksgiving of '04, I knew that the phpBB wasn't going to cut it, it was complete garbage. I tried everything to port the SQL database over to vBulletin, but just coudn't make it work. So I pulled the plug and we started over from scratch. Zero members, zero posts. But I'm glad I did it.

As things started rolling along, the membership snowballed, and all of a sudden, the PT movement was THE place to be for magazines and television. Lateral-g.net was mentioned in countless magazines and on TV. It just mushroomed.

We made every effort to make this place a positive place. Talk to each other exactly how we would if I were standing in your garage. I never once had anyone complain to me that we're too civil and down to earth, but got constant feedback on how much people enjoyed the positive, genuine feel of our community.

I'm proud of the team that I assembled that helped guide me grow the site. In the beginning, every one of the Mods that helped me were parents. Once you have kids, life really gets put into perspective. I'm sure everyone that is reading this and has kids knows exactly what I mean. I listened to everyone's thoughts and input and never took a decision to kick anyone off here lightly. I learned to have thick skin. I learned that there are always 3 sides to every story. I learned that there are really great people everywhere - just take a moment and hear their story.

I've had so many adventures around the country because of this site. I've made so many great friends because of this community.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 11-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Scott , thanks for bringing me along for the ride. Great to hear from you. Hope all is well. Miss ya dude.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:44 PM

Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,377 Posts

When you hear from the founder...that's post of the year material.

Skip
Old 11-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,457 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garickman View Post
Very cool thread! Just one question, If Jody is user number 7 then who the heck is 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6?
1 XcYZ
2 jonny51
3 907rs
4 zbugger
5 pushrod 243
6 bschein
7 camcojb
8 lvcamaro
9 The Rookie
10 keith

Some are still here, others are not with us (literally) and others haven't signed on in a while. But that's the top 10 by user id.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 11-21-2013, 08:28 PM

Outstanding thing you did starting this site Scott!!!!.... and fantastic job Jody has done after passing the torch to him. A dynamic duo!!!

This is my favorite car website because of content, but more for the people on here. Great knowledge, but even greater people......friends!!

...and I would be remiss if I did not THANK YOU again, for choosing my car as one of the feature cars here. Besides being published in CHP, it has been one of the highlights since finishing the major part of the build on my car.

Thanks Scott and great to see back on here... I still wish I could see your car in person!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcYZ View Post
I'm still around and I read what's going on. I just lurk and enjoy.

The site was never about me. It was always about the community. I didn't feel the need to make a big announcement when there was a transition of ownership. I stepped back and felt the weight lift. I focused on my family and other things that I love. Primarily photography, but that's another story.
--------------------
I'm proud of the team that I assembled that helped guide me grow the site. In the beginning, every one of the Mods that helped me were parents. Once you have kids, life really gets put into perspective. I'm sure everyone that is reading this and has kids knows exactly what I mean. I listened to everyone's thoughts and input and never took a decision to kick anyone off here lightly. I learned to have thick skin. I learned that there are always 3 sides to every story. I learned that there are really great people everywhere - just take a moment and hear their story.

I've had so many adventures around the country because of this site. I've made so many great friends because of this community.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:02 PM

I have to be honest. As a relative newcomer, theres probably not a day that goes by (when here) that i wish i coulda found it sooner. The 90's were very difficult for me financially, raising three kids, buying a company that was bankrupt with virtually no money. So when things begin to turn around for me in 99' ish, i began playing with cars again after being absent for 15 years. Boy, i could of used this type of info while building my stuff through the last 10 years.

But, hey, i'm here now, love it and look forward to what we have in store for the future. I've been on almost every day since joining earlier last year. Just a classy place to be with like minded people.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:04 PM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Well I remember when the site used to have a chat room!

Love ya Scott....

Charley? You suck. See ya at Thanksgiving.

I'm not sure what I'd do without all of you. And that's all I'm going to say.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcYZ View Post
We made every effort to make this place a positive place. Talk to each other exactly how we would if I were standing in your garage. I never once had anyone complain to me that we're too civil and down to earth, but got constant feedback on how much people enjoyed the positive, genuine feel of our community.
Mission accomplished! Thanks to you and Jody for all you're hard work on the site...past and present.

You've got a good thing going here

69 Camaro-Nutter Racing Engines/427CI LS2 sleeved/LS7 CNC ported heads/Custom cam/T&D 1.8 rockers/Manley crank/Manley H-beam rods/Weisco pistons/NRC Pro Series dry sump/Kooks/NA,92 octane,11.5:1- 672HP @ 6,900RPM, 566TQ @ 5,500RPM
Build Thread- http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...ine-build.html