Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 09-24-2021, 08:09 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Help me drop my C10,properly

I bought my 86 C10 lowered, but I think there's room for improvement. I know the truck has drop spindles and it is not c-notched or flipped in the rear. They removed leaves from the springs and I believe heated the front coils to get them to drop. The ride is smooth but feels a little bouncy and not great, really. They did put good BellTech shocks on the truck.

I've never lowered a truck before so I could use some advice. My options as I see them is to purchase a complete kit from someone like Western Chassis or Ride Tech. Western has springs included which is why I was considering them.

I'm not trying to build a truck that handles. I want a good, controlled ride that doesn't beat you up. I'm just not sure if any of these kits from places like Western Chassis will ride well. For all I know they take the crappiest shocks available and spray them in nice paint. I figure I could always add a thicker sway bar if I need to tighten the truck up through corners.

With RideTech, I know I'll get a great setup. Just not sure it's worth the price since I'm not trying to build a truck that handles.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Insight from those that have lowered trucks before?

Oh, I'm looking at a 4/6 drop and bolt on. I love 5/7 but don't want to have trouble on bumps and rough roads. The truck has 20's on it now. I measure about 28" in the front and 28.5" for overall diameter in the rear.

Thanks!

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 09-25-2021, 06:14 AM

Thumbs up

You have basically outlined the reasons why I went with Ridetech for '90 Silverado build. For my truck, the difference in cost came down to the value I put on a complete kit, where everything works together.

In hindsight, I could have piece together other stuff on the cheap, but who knows what I might have ended up with. More importantly, what would I have spent "re-buying" parts because I wasn't satisfied with what I ended up with.

I'm not sure what kit you are looking at, but for my platform, the value of the adjustable Fox shocks more than make up the difference in price of buying the parts from someone else.

My 1990 Silverado with Ridetech StreetGRIP Suspension setup and Front MuscleBar:
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2021, 05:04 PM

I appreciate it, John. Yes, their Street Grip for the square bodies is what I'm looking at.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims