Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colvindesign
When is the last time you saw a Chevy with over 200k miles? In my family I have seen 4 Toyota's with that, and they have owned more chevy's than toyota's by a large margin.
Umm...Sunday. My Cousin's '88 Cheyenne. I was there for my God childs birthday party and he was showing me his odometer that read 60,000 miles on it. He bought it in '95 with 100,000 and had already flipped the odometer once himself (260,000 miles). Still going strong. My neighbor Mark has a '91 Astro Van 210,000 miles and not a single hic-cup the past 5 years. My old '77 Chevy van that I drove in High School turned 200,000 in the Summer of '89. I never had a problem with that van either. The following year I sold it to my friend Craig Irwin and he drove it for another 2 years before the main bearings finally quit on him. I've seen a lot of GM cars go over 200,000 miles. The flip side to that coin is I know a number of people that have owned Japanese cars that have had nothing but problems with them. Case in point; my Mother-In-Law's (used) '97 Toyota Celica that she bought last year that I begged her not to. 80,000 miles on it and it's nothing but a steaming pile of cow dung. Everytime she drives down from up north it's to have her brother look at it to see what's wrong. A co-worker here has a Honda Accord that she wants to turn into an artificial reef at the bottem of the Detroit River. Japanese cars have their problems too, it's just that you never hear about them because ripping on the Japanese isn't the cool thing to do. Trashing American cars is much more fun.

Last edited by trapin; 09-19-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
When is the last time you saw a Chevy with over 200k miles? In my family I have seen 4 Toyota's with that, and they have owned more chevy's than toyota's by a large margin.
93 Chevy S-10... 240,000 miles and counting
Old 09-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Sorry, but you are way off on your japanese car interpretation. In my family there have been about 6 toyota's and well over 2m miles combined. In fact I have an aunt who bought 3 toyota's in a row, all over 150k miles, she had to buy 'new' ones because her daughters kept wrecking them. I have gone to look at Lexus's in my budget and all had over 150k miles and drove like new.

Then again, I worked at a repair shop and saw many 7-10 year old 80-110k mile BMW's with major malfunctions.

My father was a GM employee for 27 years and owned nothing but chevy's and almost every single one of them, needed some sort of repair (you would not expect) in the first year.

So yeah, the brainwashing worked, when my family got good cars from Toyota that lasted for years and miles many times more than the chevy's in my family, they brainwashed me into thinking their products were better.

I have gone back to Chevy though, with a 2002 Malibu, then a 2005 Trailblazer, and both of them required no repairs, but I didn't have them that long (up to 54k on the malibu, up to 36k on the blazer) then we traded in on a 05 Durango (stupid stupid stupid) that has been to the dealer 3 times and needs to go back and has less than 18k miles, and has had interior pieces fall off in hand.

Sorry for the rambling, but I have seen a lot of toyota's and lexus's with way over 100k miles, many of them in my own family. In fact my first brake job was on a 1985 celica with over 230k miles.

FWIW: I bought a 1988 GMC 2500 Pick up with 152,000 on it for $5500. Drove it 60,000 miles (112,000 Miles) then traded it in for $3000 on a 1997 2500 Suburban with 42,000 miles. That was in 2000, I now have 155,000 on my Suburban. Yes I have replaced stuff that wears out, but I still have the same Engine, Transmission and rearend it came with. Yes, I do maintenance but other than that it is still going strong.

I routinly tow my tractor and impliments to and from my farm with it. (Trailer weight with tractor including trailer is 10,500 pounds)

My mom drives a Camry. It is a fine car. Bought new, 148,000 miles now.
Not really biased one way or the other my Suburban gets crummy milage, but the Camry can't tow my trailer.

Maybe I'm unusual?

tyoneal
Old 09-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLWiltman
93 Chevy S-10... 240,000 miles and counting

Just thinking,

Thanks goodness for the POS American cars, otherwise, We would be driving the mighty Toyota Corrolla in Pro-Tourning trim. Yuk!!

Can you imagine spending $60K on one of those??
Old 09-20-2006, 04:56 AM

My last Pontiac Bonneville had 190,000 on it when I sold it. The guy who bought it drove it 500mile back home.

My 1986 442 only had 110,000 on it when it died, thanks to a woman running a red light.

My 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix had 210,000 on it when it expired thanks to faulty wiring done by a "professional" alarm installer.

My wife's Saturn had 110,000 on it. It ran fine all the way into the side of the Ford pick up she hit. Totaled both vehicles, no injuries.

My dad's last several GM wagons have all made it to 200,000 with no major problems. His current Caprice wagon has 150,000 and still going.

My mom has had a string of Buick Centuries and while they usually trade them in before they go much beyond 100,000, none of them has needed any real repairs save for one. That one needed several pistons replaced under warranty becuase of piston slap. Ran fine, just made too much noise.

My sister's old Camaro made it to 150,000, only needing valve seals.

Had an old coworker who had a Buick Century and a Saturn, each topped the 200,000 mile mark.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"