Password

View Poll Results: To Olds or not to Olds
To Olds 20 68.97%
Not to Olds 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouring442
As for oiling problems, never heard that. It'll only have 2 bolt mains, but a nice set of studs should fix that.
Olds motors are notorious for poor oiling at high rpms.
And the 2 bolt main blocks are alot stronger than the SBC because of the high nickel content. I vaguely recall that they are good up to about 400-450 hp. If this is the goal for the motor, you should need any studs or girdle.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:15 AM

Why not try a 500 Caddy motor? I'm putting one in my Nova for this very reason, greatest bang for the buck.

A couple facts that sold me on the idea:
1. 500 frikkin cubic inches!
2. Weigh closer to a SBC than a BBC
3. Need very little to wake them up (500 hp, 600lb-ft is easy to get), aluminum intake, valve work, cam and tuned Q-jet
4. High nickle content
5. Bolt to a BOP trans..TH400 recommended
6. Likes mild gears...better highway cruising
7. Consider who bought these cars and their driving habits (seniors)....High probability they were well maintained
8. Definitely unique

Jeff Schwartz used it in his Coupe Deville...did you see the numbers that thing did? Nuf said right there.

Hermance Design
My Facebook
Old 09-18-2006, 11:16 AM

An LS1 is the untimate plateform for a road race motor and is 100% reliable. An ls1 can be had for about $2000 turn key. Headers are $500, Motor mounts are $100, and an electric fuel pump is needed for $150 bucks. The stock fuel system can be retained if the rails from a 97 vette are used, they allow for a returnless fuel system.
A sbc build will be that much and would never be as good of a platform. Agree or disagree, that is my $.02!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrorocket
An LS1 is the untimate plateform for a road race motor and is 100% reliable. An ls1 can be had for about $2000 turn key. Headers are $500, Motor mounts are $100, and an electric fuel pump is needed for $150 bucks. The stock fuel system can be retained if the rails from a 97 vette are used, they allow for a returnless fuel system.
A sbc build will be that much and would never be as good of a platform. Agree or disagree, that is my $.02!
Then vote no, and we will go from there, I did go to a friends shop today and he has a slew of ls engines and some new t56 set ups we talked a bit but it is not worth while till the voting is done, At this point it is looking like its going olds, But im still going to try to swing a t56 if the budget allows I can adapt that easy to a olds if thats what is voted.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:36 PM

Personally, I would do a 4 speed untill the car gets its feet wet. It can always be sold later for a t56 with no money lost. $15k will go fast, but at least get the good motor as that is the foundation for the car. What will it take for the 1 ton Olds motor to be adequate cost wise? Do you know what that motor weighs?? It 's not light!

Last edited by nitrorocket; 09-18-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:47 PM

I understand your point of view, The engine is not up to me. But the majority of the vote is what is going to be put in the car, That is the wole idea of this, If olds looses to chevy power ill throw your ls idea in there.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kidsnotime
Thank you for your input, This car is going to have a track day, a Road race course, The engine will run at 70% of the time at 100% duty cycle, Not drag racing wich is 100% at 100% but short cycle, suspended heat oil and friction time are at about 20% for drag racing, versus a road race car at 85% some other forms or racing are even much higher, Take in thought when you drive to work tomorrow put your car in second gear hold it wide open as you drive dont ever let off how long will it last that way. A car on a track in one race day will run 100 1/4 mile drag races in one day. Just a fast engine is only a part it has to take a load and what we are doing to it is going to be a tough one.
Thanks for the clarity of your performance expectations. The only thing I can think of to meet these goals, would be to get a platform that would create exceptional torque and run a taller gear to keep the rev's reasonable.

I'm always learning a lot from the people on this page. If an engine can be built inexpensively, that I could hold WOT in second gear all the way to work, I'm in for a great learning experiance.

I look forward to my learning curve moving upward again.

Thanks again for your clarity.

Best Regards,

tyoneal
Old 09-18-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kidsnotime
If olds looses to chevy power ill throw your ls idea in there.
because he sure is pushing for this LS engine. But everybody is putting the LS engines in everything. Yeah, they are GREAT enignes but not for every build.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:00 AM

The only reason I am being the LS1 chearleader, is not jsut because I love chearleaders, it is the best motor for the job hands down. I am a little with you, the LS1 swapping has been beaten to death. They are in everything! I went with one because even a $20,000 dollar race motor can barely compete with a mildly built LSX motor for power and reliability. They are affordable, can hold 6000 rpm all day long, are aluminum, and dirt cheap. Whatever motor is chosen I am sure it will be great!
Old 09-19-2006, 12:26 PM

What ever we do it will be fun The olds is not the best bang for buck, But it might be interesting to see what we can get out of one as well, There will need to be some oiling modifications to it that is for sure, Not costly but a must if we want it to last more than one lap, and the Miller guys im sure dont want an olds oiled track.........., Keep voting for those who have not Olds or no Olds. We will give it the end of the week and move to the next, so we can get building.