Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 02-10-2005, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfytr68
Xactly! That's exactly the point. You're there. No more from me on the subject. Now let's talk about you getting married......
what about me getting married?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Adjusters are great but you better be in the ball park first. Every once in a while I meet some dude with weight jackers, pattin' himself on the back just because he's running them. Then you look under the car and realize he's in coil bind at ride height. Hmmmn... Way to go.

Actually, being bucks down, I'd cut the stock springs first (slowly) in stages, get the ride height where you want it and then go for a spin. If the handling meets your current needs, Spend money down the road (wedding money?) on the perfect springs. You can use the data from the exercise to help determine proper spring length and rate later.

Cost = Zero.

The best part about that is putting it together without coil springs installed, then raising and lowering the car on the floor jack just to see how cool it looks at different heights. Ooooh!

Wait. I said I was done. Okay. Now I'm done. Sorry.

Ridetech.com
Old 02-10-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Adjusters are great but you better be in the ball park first. Every once in a while I meet some dude with weight jackers, pattin' himself on the back just because he's running them. Then you look under the car and realize he's in coil bind at ride height. Hmmmn... Way to go.

Actually, being bucks down, I'd cut the stock springs first (slowly) in stages, get the ride height where you want it and then go for a spin. If the handling meets your current needs, Spend money down the road (wedding money?) on the perfect springs. You can use the data from the exercise to help determine proper spring length and rate later.

Cost = Zero.

The best part about that is putting it together without coil springs installed, then raising and lowering the car on the floor jack just to see how cool it looks at different heights. Ooooh!

Wait. I said I was done. Okay. Now I'm done. Sorry.

lol, done? wait... now done? lol just kidding.

the no-spring approach isnt a bad idea, the only thing i'm worried about is constantly having to pull them out every time and risk ruining a ball joint each time.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Supporting Member

Max...I think I may have been the one that set you off. I guess I mis-read your post to mean the entire car all the way around, not just the front. My mistake. Your original post read:

Quote:
if i want to lower my car, do i need drop spindles too or can i use the stock ones with a lowered spring?
Sorry about that. But I'd like to clarify something. When we mention 3" drop springs, it means 3 inches from the stock ride height, not from your current ride height. Or are you at the stock ride height now? As for the front, I have the Hotckis springs in my car (with no motor) and when I bolt the fender up, the top of the tires are about 1 inch below the wheel lip. So I'm guessing they'll be good to go. If not I plan on cutting them and if my memory serves me correct I think 4 inches along the coil equals 1 inch of drop. Although I could be wrong. Someone chime in here if I am.

Last edited by trapin; 02-10-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:07 PM

Quote:
that would suck. I don't have that problem as I don't run weight jacks, just adjustable shims on the top of the spring.